• ...and so much more!
  • 45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    At least the criminal wont be able to find ammo very easy :/

But seriously, if I see someone approaching me in the very early hours of the morning that I do not know, the very last thing I would be thinking about is being friendly, or looking cool. That right there should be a warning that something bad is about to happen. Been in a situation similar to that before, eating lunch with a few co-workers in a parking lot in a rather shady neighborhood. (working a night shift, so lunch was around 1 AM for us) . There were 3 of us, man approached us, tried breaking the ice by asking for a smoke. Evidently he noticed that he couldn't see any of our right hands, and got the feeling that pressing his luck might have been bad for his health.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Im envisioning a scenario where some hood rat went and got himself a cool carry piece and wanted to show it off to all his hood buddies. Standing on street corners at 2:00am... I'd be interested to know what kind of neighborhood this is.

A second hood rat (complete stranger) bums a cigarette from him and no red flags pop up? Ya, he was a part of the hood culture.

It wasn't the open carry that got him robbed. I would bet money it was the neighborhood and the life that he chose.

But then again, I'm just an armchair quarterback. What do I know? :dunno:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Nonsense, open carry deters more crime than it attracts.

Being robbed is simply one of the risks of existing in a society with robbers. Avoiding certain areas at certain times goes a long way in mitigating those risks, but concealed guns are more routinely discovered and taken in this same manner.

What.
    Show some statistics where you get these facts. Please. If you know this you had to read it somewhere.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    Did anyone else notice that he had bought the gun earlier that day? What is the chance that he cleaned and test fired it before he decided to OC it? My P22 was rough for about 100 rounds. That is just bad practice in itself.

Squander

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    South Bend
    Nonsense, open carry deters more crime than it attracts.

Being robbed is simply one of the risks of existing in a society with robbers. Avoiding certain areas at certain times goes a long way in mitigating those risks, but concealed guns are more routinely discovered and taken in this same manner.

Not sure what your source of information is on this. There was a recent INGO thread (maybe 2 months ago that I can't find) where BBI or one of the other LEO visitors to INGO listed four cases within the last year of people targeted specifically for their OC weapon in Indy. Would be nice to see if there is any other LEO data to support your claim about deterring more crime than it attracts.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not sure what your source of information is on this. There was a recent INGO thread (maybe 2 months ago that I can't find) where BBI or one of the other LEO visitors to INGO listed four cases within the last year of people targeted specifically for their OC weapon in Indy. Would be nice to see if there is any other LEO data to support your claim about deterring more crime than it attracts.

No knock on our favorite cash machine but he is nailed to the wall staunch OC guy.
    I would like to know where these statistics come from as well.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

This needs to be found and linked by someone also.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States

The problem is you will never know how many crimes were deterred by open-carry.

The serious criminal or suicidal guy intent on his activity, may target the open-carry person for his first shot. But if the sight of open-carry deters the average loser from a crime he was about to commit, you never know about it.

You'd need a pretty thorough study of similar facilities to compare crime stats, and crime is so varied around the country, I don't think such a study exists. Even with stores like Target asking you not to bring your guns, that only shows the criminals might go there more THINKING people don't have guns.

You'd need to compare (for example) a Kroger where people open carried every single day, not just where they are allowed to, with a Kroger where no one ever walked in with a visible gun. And even if you could find those places, they are probably in 2 different states with different laws.... and by extension different crime rates.

Sorry to ramble, but the point is it's an unwinnable argument.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    BBI will jump in and set the record straight, but I believe it was 3 OCers and 1 CCer. I don't know if they were all within the past year either. And they were all in roughish neighborhoods.
    How do you prove they were targeted specifically for the gun? They could have been targeted before the criminals ever saw the firearm.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI

No knock on our favorite cash machine but he is nailed to the wall staunch OC guy.
    I would like to know where these statistics come from as well.

This needs to be found and linked by someone also.
    I looked all over the carry in self-defense thread but I cannot find a thread specifically about that. Maybe it was posted inside of a thread about open carry, but I'm not reading through all those pages. I don't remember seeing any buddy saying something about OCers being targeted.

Top Bottom