• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I will offer another take to your reasons why some folks “race” you at lights. Human nature. I drive a old truck but, I am usually alert at the light, preparing to go when it changes, and the car next to me will notice my, some might call it impatience, then they get all fired up and seem to race. I have seen so much carbon from these folks, an indicator they rarely ever do this, but my truck and body language seem to fire them up.

Are you guys sure you and your vehicle are not putting out body language that triggers this behavior?

Conversely I have observed if I appear distracted they rarely act this way…
    Were the other vehicles on birth control or not? :stickpoke:

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    How is that even possible? 15% longer to be in outer lane of a road with few turns?
    Sorry I don't remember the exact number of miles, I just remember the difference surprised all of us in the car. This was 40+ years ago too. For some reason the difference stuck in my head was something around 7 miles by the odometer.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    FWIW, I may be somewhere between minivan and charger... AWD sedan with a supercharger from across the pond. A late night in Kokomo on old 31 in front of Howard Community... Some 'youngsters' in their lowered, lighted from underneath jalopy POS stop at the light next to me. They sort of edge out trying to get my attention, I edge out, green light, let them go, stomp the supercharger, see-ya boys. :laugh: :patriot:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Is it a felony to obstruct traffic without a motor vehicle?
    I have the answer and it makes more sense than it seems at first:

Ind. Code § 35-44.1-2-13

(a) Except as provided in subsection (b), a person who, with the intent to obstruct vehicular or pedestrian traffic, obstructs vehicular or pedestrian traffic commits obstruction of traffic, a Class B misdemeanor.

(b) The offense described in subsection (a) is:
    (1) a Class A misdemeanor if the offense includes the use of a motor vehicle;

(2) a Level 6 felony if:
    (A) the offense results in serious bodily injury;
    (B) the person blocks an authorized emergency vehicle (as defined in IC 9-13-2-6) while the vehicle is:
    (i) responding to an emergency call;
    (ii) in the pursuit of an actual or suspected violator of the law; or
    (iii) responding to, but not returning from, a fire alarm;
    if the vehicle is using visible or audible signals as required by law; or

(C) the person obstructs the entryway to a facility that provides emergency medical services; and

(3) a Level 5 felony if the offense results in catastrophic bodily injury or death.

(c) A person who unreasonably obstructs vehicular or pedestrian traffic commits a Class C infraction.

(d) It is a defense to an action under subsection (c) that the obstruction was caused by a vehicle malfunction.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

Ind. Code § 35-44.1-2-13

(a) Except as provided in subsection (b), a person who, with the intent to obstruct vehicular or pedestrian traffic, obstructs vehicular or pedestrian traffic commits obstruction of traffic, a Class B misdemeanor.

(2) a Level 6 felony if:
    (B) the person blocks an authorized emergency vehicle (as defined in IC 9-13-2-6) while the vehicle is:

(C) the person obstructs the entryway to a facility that provides emergency medical services; and

(3) a Level 5 felony if the offense results in catastrophic bodily injury or death.

(c) A person who unreasonably obstructs vehicular or pedestrian traffic commits a Class C infraction.

(d) It is a defense to an action under subsection (c) that the obstruction was caused by a vehicle malfunction.
    So if I am reading it correctly, the vehicle made no difference to the charge. It was blocking an emergency vehicle.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The dodge has less road noise and seems to have nicer plastics. Tesla seat material quality was second none IMO.

Overall tesla seemed to cut corners on panel fitment and sound deadening material. The panel gap problems would never be acceptable on any other brand of 60k car that is custom ordered.

Corvettes prior to the C7...

Ind. Code § 35-44.1-2-13

(2) a Level 6 felony if:

I wasn't even aware they'd added that. It's new as of 2021, my 2020 codebook didn't list it.

http://iga.in.gov/legislative/2021/bills/house/1115 is the relevant bill.

Thanks!

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Since this has devolved somewhat into a "kill stories" side thread; not all that long ago I had a 1970 AMX Go Pak car. I had just finished swapping in a WS6 Trans Am steering box into it and had taken it out for the obligatory test drive. Not far from the house they had recently completed a nice long stretch of 4 lane divided highway to no where so I was out there enjoying the evening.

I had pulled up to a stop sign and was just sitting there rocking the steering wheel back and forth a little to get any straggler air out of the ps and a newish 5.0 mustang pulled up alongside. The kid started making cracks about my "Gremlin" and trying to goad me into a race. His girlfriend meanwhile was telling him to shut up and just go.

I finally decided to oblige young 5.0 and just told him to go when he felt like it. He was trying to be sly and pull a sneaky start while talking to me, no biggie. I pulled the car into gear and took off with him a length or two in front of me. By the time I was getting ready to grab third I was already even with him and proceeded to leave him behind at the top of third and convincingly into 4th.

I pulled up at the next stop sign and waited for him to arrive which he finally did after slowing considerably probably hoping I'd leave. When he pulled up alongside me his girlfriend was laughing hysterically and said "I told you not to race him, my uncle has one and they're fast!" I told the girlfriend that perhaps she should fix him some warm milk and cookies and drove off into the evening. :lmfao:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Sorry I don't remember the exact number of miles, I just remember the difference surprised all of us in the car. This was 40+ years ago too. For some reason the difference stuck in my head was something around 7 miles by the odometer.

No worries. Time (and maybe some weed? LOL) may cloud your recollection. Or you did something really wrong.

All day this has been bugging me. I hit the online calculator. Im not that smart, I just know the calculators to use.

I took some crude measurements with google earth and the edge to edge pavement measurements vary from 123 to 200'. I threw in a WAG and came up with a difference of about a 1/4 mile between the outside edges. But officially both directions are the same distance.

So if you want to get technical, if the outer pavement edge is 53 miles long, the inner edge is only 52.79mi long.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Only thing I can really add to this ladies and gent's is this.. in some parts of this country if you chase then it's a race. And remember it's just poor sportsmanship when the cops kick on the red and blue lights after they lose a fair race. They never find it funny when they lose and if they can, they'll spin your ass out too LOL

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Only thing I can really add to this ladies and gent's is this.. in some parts of this country if you chase then it's a race. And remember it's just poor sportsmanship when the cops kick on the red and blue lights after they lose a fair race. They never find it funny when they lose and if they can, they'll spin your ass out too LOL
    As a young, juvenile delinquent with a too fast car, I used to cruise McKinley in Mishawaka looking for people to embarrass. I had a '81 Grand Prix that was a sleeper in every way, except the sound from the Olds 455 it had in it.

I was sitting at the light McKinley and Grape heading west when a lime green, muscle car era Charger pulled up next to me with an 'old guy' driving it. I looked over admiring his ride and gave him a nod. He musta interpreted this as, wanna race? He started revving and inching forward. When the light turned green, away we went. I had a full car length on him before I slowed and turned into Town and Country and he followed me.

He pulled up next to me in a parking spot driver's door to driver's door. I expected some casual banter but the first thing he said was, do you know how many laws you just broke? As he showed me his Mishawaka PD badge.

I about died.

Then he burst into laughter.

When he finally quit laughing at me, the casual banter began with, what the hell you got in that thing? And it ended with, you know I went easy on you.:D

Lpherr

Occupied
    As a young, juvenile delinquent with a too fast car, I used to cruise McKinley in Mishawaka looking for people to embarrass. I had a '81 Grand Prix that was a sleeper in every way, except the sound from the Olds 455 it had in it.

I was sitting at the light McKinley and Grape heading west when a lime green, muscle car era Charger pulled up next to me with an 'old guy' driving it. I looked over admiring his ride and gave him a nod. He musta interpreted this as, wanna race? He started revving and inching forward. When the light turned green, away we went. I had a full car length on him before I slowed and turned into Town and Country and he followed me.

He pulled up next to me in a parking spot driver's door to driver's door. I expected some casual banter but the first thing he said was, do you know how many laws you just broke? As he showed me his Mishawaka PD badge.

I about died.

Then he burst into laughter.

When he finally quit laughing at me, the casual banter began with, what the hell you got in that thing? And it ended with, you know I went easy on you.:D
    The Mckinley strip; those were the days. Used to hit Goshen once in a while too, because Elkhart sucked. On the way one night, going out 33, there was a red 'Cuda that came up on us, we were in a friends car. We got stopped at a light, and he was beside us. The thing looked pretty nice, and sounded even better. We gave him a thumbs up, because there wasn't any talking over his exhaust note. The light turned green, and he was gone. Never seen him again.
    It was probably pops ride.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I've been watching the Barrett-Jackson collector car auction, and it's amazing what the older muscle cars (done up right) are going for. $100K is pretty common for a lot of them. Amazing, beautiful cars - a bygone era.

Top Bottom