• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've been watching the Barrett-Jackson collector car auction, and it's amazing what the older muscle cars (done up right) are going for. $100K is pretty common for a lot of them. Amazing, beautiful cars - a bygone era.

Thing is, most all of them have been restored to a concours level far beyond what the factory gave us when they were new. The level of craftmanship is beyond amazing. The new paint systems are miles above the older enamel/Laquear (Sp) finishes.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    Stuff like this has happened forever. Never will stop. If there are multiple ppl blocking traffic. turn around or wait, your life will be longer if you do. Seriously.
    If you never done it or been around it you will never understand it.

Honestly I've never understood not wanting to race at the track. I get the whole street is a no prep surface thing. And yes I played a little bit in the streets when I was in my youth but not much. Just too much liability and too much to lose if something goes wrong.
    I've seen more than one who thought their car was much faster than what the tracks timing system proved it to be. You can almost watch their ego become deflated when they look at the time slip.
    Because they require safety checks. And helmets. These ppl dont do that crap. The amount of street racing that has gone on in park 100 area is unreal. Let alone you cant go the track with you stolen guns and 10 stacks to bet on each other. Or on a track not show your motor or all the hinden nitrous you have to keep collecting stacks from the guys running the trap houses, or their " legitimate business" (wink, wink).

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    No worries. Time (and maybe some weed? LOL) may cloud your recollection. Or you did something really wrong.

All day this has been bugging me. I hit the online calculator. Im not that smart, I just know the calculators to use.

I took some crude measurements with google earth and the edge to edge pavement measurements vary from 123 to 200'. I threw in a WAG and came up with a difference of about a 1/4 mile between the outside edges. But officially both directions are the same distance.

So if you want to get technical, if the outer pavement edge is 53 miles long, the inner edge is only 52.79mi long.
    Just under 55 miles has alway stuck in my mind as I alway said they could do the 500 in just under 10 laps.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    I have the answer and it makes more sense than it seems at first:

Ind. Code § 35-44.1-2-13

(a) Except as provided in subsection (b), a person who, with the intent to obstruct vehicular or pedestrian traffic, obstructs vehicular or pedestrian traffic commits obstruction of traffic, a Class B misdemeanor.

(b) The offense described in subsection (a) is:
    (1) a Class A misdemeanor if the offense includes the use of a motor vehicle;
    Not knowing what is in subsection (b), does this mean that if I am driving 65 mph in a 65 mph zone and I am obstructing Jedi from driving 75 so he can get to work on time, I can be charged with a Class A misdemeanor?!? :lmfao:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Stuff like this has happened forever. Never will stop. If there are multiple ppl blocking traffic. turn around or wait, your life will be longer if you do. Seriously.
    If you never done it or been around it you will never understand it.

Because they require safety checks. And helmets. These ppl dont do that crap. The amount of street racing that has gone on in park 100 area is unreal. Let alone you cant go the track with you stolen guns and 10 stacks to bet on each other. Or on a track not show your motor or all the hinden nitrous you have to keep collecting stacks from the guys running the trap houses, or their " legitimate business" (wink, wink).
    My dad played on the street some back in his day and I dabbled in it but when I was younger, I was more into the roundy round stuff. But I've spent a fair amount of time at drag strips over the last 18 or so years.
    Park 100 has been a hot spot for that stuff for several years as well as other places. One of the biggest things that seems to have gotten more popular is roll racing on the interstate.
    While it's ture most street racers don't want to mess with meeting safety standards and such, that's just their own stupidity. They also can claim to be however fast they think they are and keep their street cred.
    But, from my experience I have seen plenty of people with guns at tracks. Most tracks really don't inspect very much on the car especially if you go to a street car night.
    I've showed up at IRP and never had a thing looked at in their tech inspection, not even my tags on the seat belts. On a street car, they look at even less. There's plenty of money being bet at any given track on any given day especially if it's heads up racing. Seen plenty of guys with a roll that would choke a mule

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    My dad played on the street some back in his day and I dabbled in it but when I was younger, I was more into the roundy round stuff. But I've spent a fair amount of time at drag strips over the last 18 or so years.
    Park 100 has been a hot spot for that stuff for several years as well as other places. One of the biggest things that seems to have gotten more popular is roll racing on the interstate.
    While it's ture most street racers don't want to mess with meeting safety standards and such, that's just their own stupidity. They also can claim to be however fast they think they are and keep their street cred.
    But, from my experience I have seen plenty of people with guns at tracks. Most tracks really don't inspect very much on the car especially if you go to a street car night.
    I've showed up at IRP and never had a thing looked at in their tech inspection, not even my tags on the seat belts. On a street car, they look at even less. There's plenty of money being bet at any given track on any given day especially if it's heads up racing. Seen plenty of guys with a roll that would choke a mule
    I would agree with the cars about being fast. They never compare to a track car. Motorcycle guys were fast. It's alot cheaper to produce quick bikes. The safety check must have changed. But I haven't worked at the track in along time. Back when the NHRA actually still owned it. There were safety checks then. 2001-2002. Money betting happens. But on the street its every race. And usually 25k or more. (Used to be anyway). Ppl may had some cheap pistol at the track. But not rocking AK's or UZi's copys in their hands all the time.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I would agree with the cars about being fast. They never compare to a track car. Motorcycle guys were fast. It's alot cheaper to produce quick bikes. The safety check must have changed. But I haven't worked at the track in along time. Back when the NHRA actually still owned it. There were safety checks then. 2001-2002. Money betting happens. But on the street its every race. And usually 25k or more. (Used to be anyway). Ppl may had some cheap pistol at the track. But not rocking AK's or UZi's copys in their hands all the time.
    I've been in the track game with NHRA since 2004 and when we started they pretty much only checked our safety equipment and verified our chassis certification. We've mostly been running outlaw style races the last several years and they always checked safety equipment too. Went to IRP this past year and rolled through tech and they just walked around the car and looked at my tech card. I'm pretty sure NHRA still owns IRP and is only one of a handful of tracks they do still own. Pretty excited NHRA contracted a company to grind and polish the track surface this year too.
    I don't know where you see street races where people openly rocking guns in their hands but that's pretty crazy. In any case, as I got a little older I realized it just wasn't worth the risks to of going to prison or losing my livelihood over a street race. Back when my dad and folks like Churchmouse were heavy in the street scene, there were only like 350-400 cops in the city and outside 465 was fairly rural. Times have changed but with the resurgence of factory muscle cars the street scene has really taken off again

Lpherr

Occupied
    A bunch of punks, trying to prove how much of a man they are. They can't do it with their fart can, park bench on the trunk Tonka toys, so they try to impress anyone, by flashing a gun. Pathetic and juvenile, at best.
    If they want to prove they're a man and want respect, take the car to the track, and the guns to the range.
    That's where the men hang out.

Top Bottom