• churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Bing
    They will make it clear that it's not scripted. However, everyone is encouraged to talk trash and let their passion for the sport show on tv.
    Some of the regulars know they basically have a role to play though. And all of the SO's shows take place with full fire & ems crews on roads shut down for a period of time under contracts with local authorities
    Bingo

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Honestly I've never understood not wanting to race at the track. I get the whole street is a no prep surface thing. And yes I played a little bit in the streets when I was in my youth but not much. Just too much liability and too much to lose if something goes wrong.
    I've seen more than one who thought their car was much faster than what the tracks timing system proved it to be. You can almost watch their ego become deflated when they look at the time slip.
    In the days we were street racing our bikes we had a few incidents that caused some issues.
    I made some moves to get everyone involved out to IRP and we could race there. So many of these cats had never been in the lights at the starting line so just having that advantage won me more than a few.
    Yes, Egos lost air like a leaking tire when they made a few passes. On the street you have much around you that references your passing and gives you a sense of how fast you are going. It is a false sense overall. At a decent track everything is way back off the track and you lose that time warp tunnel.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    How is that even possible? 15% longer to be in outer lane of a road with few turns?
    easy. One guy going one way, one guy going the other. Both have messed up speedometers that need recalibration.
    and I believe the magic number is 53 Miles. (Ish) highest exit number is 53.

Kozaturf

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 21, 2020
    Westville-ish
    On the subject of street racing; I’ve recently gotten an almost new Dodge Challenger RT. Everyone acts stupid when they get next to that car. I got moms in mini vans and kids in civics trying to run me off the line.

It’s obnoxious, especially when 2 minutes ago they were the slowpoke clogging 465.

Never had this problem when I had a Tesla (which was way faster).
    If it has stock exhaust put something aftermarket on and it just gets worse. The Magnaflows on mine play the mating call of stupid.

I'll admit though with it being a 6-speed I have been guilty of downshifting and baiting said stupidity once in a while.:naughty:

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If it has stock exhaust put something aftermarket on and it just gets worse. The Magnaflows on mine play the mating call of stupid.

I'll admit though with it being a 6-speed I have been guilty of downshifting and baiting said stupidity once in a while.:naughty:
    I bought it gently used and it’s not stock. Exhaust is aftermarket at bare minimum. All work seems to have been done professionally though and the dealer/dodge warrantied it as CPO.

Might be why I’ve found so much stupid already.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I figured it had to be something like that, but they sure like to give the impression that they're just out on some public street (albeit isolated and rarely traveled). They also sure don't show any safety personnel on site. They make it look like everyone just meets up on some desolate stretch of highway somewhere and have at it.
    With all the cameras and angles that are being filmed.. lighting... yes it’s all spur of the moment. Fun to watch but keep it on the drag strip

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    On the subject of street racing; I’ve recently gotten an almost new Dodge Challenger RT. Everyone acts stupid when they get next to that car. I got moms in mini vans and kids in civics trying to run me off the line.

I have/had 2 working theories. I've owned a Camaro or Corvette off and on since the mid-90's so I've had plenty of opportunities to observe this behavior.

Original theory: They don't expect to win, but they have nothing to lose. If they lose, they got beat by a clearly superior car and have nothing to be ashamed of. If they win, they get to brag about it FOREVER to their buddies how they smoked a 'vette with their minivan.

Current theory: They actually don't care about if they win or lose. They just want to see a fast car do fast car things. I've had people ask me to do a burn out. They seem unimpressed when I ask if they'll chip in for tires. I'm not a circus coming to your town.

I don't see nearly as many people bothering me in my current Camaro. Maybe I just don't drive it enough. When I do, it's most likely to be a bro-dozer diesel. I suspect those people are in 'original theory' bucket in their motivations, most likely.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    easy. One guy going one way, one guy going the other. Both have messed up speedometers that need recalibration.
    and I believe the magic number is 53 Miles. (Ish) highest exit number is 53.
    When I first moved to the area I drove the loop one day just to see what was out there and remember a number in the mid 50's as well. There's not much out there today, there was even less 23 years ago.

Sheesh, I just realized I've been here 23 years. Time flies and all that.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Is it a felony to obstruct traffic without a motor vehicle?

No, it's a "B" misdemeanor. And I'm actually not sure how they got a F6 out of obstucting *with* a vehicle unless someone was seriously injured. It is an F6 if he attempted to flee in a motor vehicle, though, so I wonder if there is some confusion in the press release.

IC 35-44.1-2-13Obstruction of traffic

Sec. 13. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b), a person who, with the intent to obstruct vehicular or pedestrian traffic, obstructs vehicular or pedestrian traffic commits obstruction of traffic, a Class B misdemeanor.

(b) The offense described in subsection (a) is:

(1) a Class A misdemeanor if the offense includes the use of a motor vehicle; and

(2) a Level 6 felony if the offense results in serious bodily injury.

(c) A person who unreasonably obstructs vehicular or pedestrian traffic commits a Class C infraction.

(d) It is a defense to an action under subsection (c) that the obstruction was caused by a vehicle malfunction.

As added by P.L.158-2013, SEC.508. Amended by P.L.188-2015, SEC.130.

So, blocking traffic = felony

BUT

Driving while suspended with previous suspension = misdemeanor

WTF is wrong with the system?

See above. "A" or "B" misdemeanor unless someone is seriously injured.

Reactions: KLB

Drewski

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2019
    Deep South Side
    How is that even possible? 15% longer to be in outer lane of a road with few turns?
    I need a good puzzle in the morning to get the old brain in gear; this will work today. I'm understanding the puzzle to be: what is the difference in a complete circuit of the 465 loop going in opposite directions. As others have noted, 53 miles is the circumference of the loop. Google Earth agrees. The distance between the center of the outermost "counterclockwise" lane and outermost "clockwise" lane varies depending on number of lanes and median width, but some spot checks on Google Earth shows anywhere from 87 to 150 feet, although that was hardly a through audit of the entire loop. For sake of the exercise, let's say average of 120 feet between the points on the road where a car would be traveling.

So looking at the 465 loop as a circle with a 53 mile circumference (let's say that's the outermost measurement), the radius would be 8.43521198mi or 44538 ft. Using that difference of 120 feet between extreme opposite lanes, that makes an inner radius of 44538-120=44418 ft. and 2*pi*r makes 44423 ft or 52.8572964 miles. If my math/logic is correct (kind of questionable, considering the condition of my brain after last night's activities) then there seems to be a difference of .15 miles in two directions of the 465 loop.

Your mileage may vary. Literally. I make no claim to the sensibility of my logic.

But thanks for the excuse to get my head started.

giphy.gif

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have/had 2 working theories. I've owned a Camaro or Corvette off and on since the mid-90's so I've had plenty of opportunities to observe this behavior.

Original theory: They don't expect to win, but they have nothing to lose. If they lose, they got beat by a clearly superior car and have nothing to be ashamed of. If they win, they get to brag about it FOREVER to their buddies how they smoked a 'vette with their minivan.

Current theory: They actually don't care about if they win or lose. They just want to see a fast car do fast car things. I've had people ask me to do a burn out. They seem unimpressed when I ask if they'll chip in for tires. I'm not a circus coming to your town.

I don't see nearly as many people bothering me in my current Camaro. Maybe I just don't drive it enough. When I do, it's most likely to be a bro-dozer diesel. I suspect those people are in 'original theory' bucket in their motivations, most likely.

This^^^

I've had people yell to do burnouts, but tires aren't cheap.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I will offer another take to your reasons why some folks “race” you at lights. Human nature. I drive a old truck but, I am usually alert at the light, preparing to go when it changes, and the car next to me will notice my, some might call it impatience, then they get all fired up and seem to race. I have seen so much carbon from these folks, an indicator they rarely ever do this, but my truck and body language seem to fire them up.

Are you guys sure you and your vehicle are not putting out body language that triggers this behavior?

Conversely I have observed if I appear distracted they rarely act this way…

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I will offer another take to your reasons why some folks “race” you at lights. Human nature. I drive a old truck but, I am usually alert at the light, preparing to go when it changes, and the car next to me will notice my, some might call it impatience, then they get all fired up and seem to race. I have seen so much carbon from these folks, an indicator they rarely ever do this, but my truck and body language seem to fire them up.

Are you guys sure you and your vehicle are not putting out body language that triggers this behavior?

Conversely I have observed if I appear distracted they rarely act this way…

It's unlikely they see my personal body language, period, through the tinted gun slits that are what passes for windows in my car. I don't blast out into the intersection the instant the light changes, either, because I'm waiting for the last guy to run the light before I go out there, and I drive the same in my truck as my car but never have the same response. Bro-Dozer bros will come up on me on the interstate and surge back and forth to try and bait a reaction.

Lpherr

Occupied
    When I first moved to the area I drove the loop one day just to see what was out there and remember a number in the mid 50's as well. There's not much out there today, there was even less 23 years ago.

Sheesh, I just realized I've been here 23 years. Time flies and all that.
    Now you can walk into Hooters, order a shot and a beer chaser, while enjoying your surroundings the way God intended, without being carded. :thumbsup:

We've been stuck at our location for 28 years. Yep, it went pretty fast.
    Now I feel old.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana

It’s obnoxious, especially when 2 minutes ago they were the slowpoke clogging 465.

Never had this problem when I had a Tesla (which was way faster).
    Better build quality: Dodge or Tesla?

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Better build quality: Dodge or Tesla?
    The dodge has less road noise and seems to have nicer plastics. Tesla seat material quality was second none IMO.

Overall tesla seemed to cut corners on panel fitment and sound deadening material. The panel gap problems would never be acceptable on any other brand of 60k car that is custom ordered.

Top Bottom