• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had a new 2006 Daytona, with the smaller 5.6l Hemi. But I had the same experience as you, rooster. We lived in the Chiraq suburb of Naperville at the time, and it seemed like every other day a soccer mom in her Honda Pilot, or high school kid in his Subaru Imprezza with fart can mods wanted to do the stop light 1/4 mile with me. Being old even back then, I politely refused. Most of the time.

The funniest thing was when a Karen before her time, driving some little Japanese **** box, was next to me at a red light. She looked at me, looked at my car, and *flipped off my car*. Double-barrel birds. Being the mature 50 year-old that I was back then, I let her creep ahead of me, at which time I maneuvered into here blind spot, slipped the GoManGo into neutral, and floored the accelerator. Between the full-throated roar of the Hemi, the cold air intake, and exhaust system modified to have nothing between the cat and the tips but some good old-fashioned Cherry Bombs, the roar was impressive. She almost poked a hole in her roof with her noggin as she jumped offa the seat. Then I smiled and waved buh-bye. I was so immature back then.
    Love it.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Been going to the 500 for years. Thought that for a promotion similar to carb day, close 465 and let them run a few laps. Less than 10 laps and you could have the whole 500 miles in!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I travel that stretch of highway between I-74 and I-69 regularly. When travelling northbound (and probably southbound too) look closely at the pavement near the I-70 interchange. There are burnout doughnuts that span all the lanes. I imagined these were laid at 3am on a Wednesday, but maybe not? :dunno:
    When I was a wee lad of 20-ish, I was living up in Lafayette. I bought a 73 Nova with a junk 4 speed manual transmission (with a Hurst shifter) for cheap. Paid to have a new transmission put in, but then had to replace the shifter. I did that on my own, way before youtube. I made a mental note of where all the nuts were on the linkage and tried my best to reinstall them to the best of my memory. It worked!

Anyhow, all that rambling was to get to my story of taking that car out on 52 around 1 or 2 a.m. outside of town and lighting it up. :):

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    You sold your tesla? Make a profit?
    Broke dead even after 1 year and 30k miles. Personally I put that one in the win column.
    So, even though the Tesla was way faster I’ll bet the RT is way more fun.
    Way more fun, even with just the 5.7 it’s a blast. Also I bought it used and I got a sneaking suspicion that it’s far from stock.

Reactions: oze

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    On the subject of street racing; I’ve recently gotten an almost new Dodge Challenger RT. Everyone acts stupid when they get next to that car. I got moms in mini vans and kids in civics trying to run me off the line.

It’s obnoxious, especially when 2 minutes ago they were the slowpoke clogging 465.

Never had this problem when I had a Tesla (which was way faster).
    Same issue in the M5. After a while all you can do is laugh.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Been going to the 500 for years. Thought that for a promotion similar to carb day, close 465 and let them run a few laps. Less than 10 laps and you could have the whole 500 miles in!
    A full 465 lap is something like 62 miles on the inner lane and 71 miles on the outer lane.

My buddies and I drove it one night to measure it.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    IRP just west of Clermont Ind.
    Every Wednesday night is streetcar night. Run what ya brung.
    It's safe. Ambulance is on site for the duration. Great 1/4-mile facility.

Most of those who run out on the interstates have no desire for anything resembling an organized event. Rules/safety etc do not entice those guys at all.
    Honestly I've never understood not wanting to race at the track. I get the whole street is a no prep surface thing. And yes I played a little bit in the streets when I was in my youth but not much. Just too much liability and too much to lose if something goes wrong.
    I've seen more than one who thought their car was much faster than what the tracks timing system proved it to be. You can almost watch their ego become deflated when they look at the time slip.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If you are tuned into that world, you can isolate the real from the scripted easy enough. The racing is pretty much on point but even then, some of the drama is scripted.
    They will make it clear that it's not scripted. However, everyone is encouraged to talk trash and let their passion for the sport show on tv.
    Some of the regulars know they basically have a role to play though. And all of the SO's shows take place with full fire & ems crews on roads shut down for a period of time under contracts with local authorities

Top Bottom