• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    As far as I know, anyone can make gun parts and sell them. A guy told me that you have to be a "licensed gunsmith" in order to do this. This was over me mentioning that I wanted to design and produce my own bullpup stock for the Ruger 10/22. The guy told me that his friend, a police chief in Texas, confiscated a stock he made out of a P90 airsoft gun. He watched a popular YouTube video on how to do this. The police chief said it was a felony according to this guy. Anyone know if this is true? It sounds ridiculous to me, given that we're talking about a stock and not a receiver.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    It would be best to get a letter of determination from the BATF on a design. Especially if you are going to produce something for resell. You can build your own. As long as it meets the guidelines for a rifle. OAL and length of the barrel is the key. There are dozens of Youtube bull pup designs. Lots of people are doing it.

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    Let me be clear: NO, you do not need a license of any sort to make any firearm part other than a 81% or higher receiver. Exporting parts gets ugly fast, but for domestic use and resale, ain't nobody's bid'ness.

There is no such thing as a gunsmith license. If customers want to leave receivers or complete firearms with you outside of their immediate presence, you need a FFL. Just like there is no Class III license required to buy a Title II firearm.

Your friend-of-a-friend is a criminal ********* and used his position and ignorance of the general public to steal a firearm from someone who had done nothing wrong. The only issue would have been in the barrel had been less than 16" long, in which case it would have been an issue regardless of any stock on it. Rotten-egg cops like to tell people that something is a "felony" and they could be in "big trouble" but the cop will let it slide if they just turn it over to them and never speak of it again. Right.

ATF determination letters are to clarify whether or not a given device is considered a Title I firearm, Title II firearm, or not a firearm. If you're not dealing with Title II or manufacturing Title 1 for sale, you don't need to involve those other criminal *********s. Their letters aren't worth the paper they're written on, just ask William Akins.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    Let me be clear: NO, you do not need a license of any sort to make any firearm part other than a 81% or higher receiver. Exporting parts gets ugly fast, but for domestic use and resale, ain't nobody's bid'ness.

There is no such thing as a gunsmith license. If customers want to leave receivers or complete firearms with you outside of their immediate presence, you need a FFL. Just like there is no Class III license required to buy a Title II firearm.

Your friend-of-a-friend is a criminal ********* and used his position and ignorance of the general public to steal a firearm from someone who had done nothing wrong. The only issue would have been in the barrel had been less than 16" long, in which case it would have been an issue regardless of any stock on it. Rotten-egg cops like to tell people that something is a "felony" and they could be in "big trouble" but the cop will let it slide if they just turn it over to them and never speak of it again. Right.

ATF determination letters are to clarify whether or not a given device is considered a Title I firearm, Title II firearm, or not a firearm. If you're not dealing with Title II or manufacturing Title 1 for sale, you don't need to involve those other criminal *********s. Their letters aren't worth the paper they're written on, just ask William Akins.

This.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington

+1
    a thieving cop, is still just a thief!

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    A 10/22 mounted into a carved out P90 airsoft?

If it ended up less than 26" OAL then it was an unregistered SBR and yes, a felony. Gotta be careful when working around the edges. Everybody knows that a barrel less than 16" is an SBR but the definition includes less than 26" OAL as well.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN

If it ended up less than 26" OAL then it was an unregistered SBR and yes, a felony. Gotta be careful when working around the edges. Everybody knows that a barrel less than 16" is an SBR but the definition includes less than 26" OAL as well.

almosts.... under 26" oal would be an AOW, unless the barrel is under 16 for rifle or 18 for shotgun THEN it would be an SBR or SBS

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN

Well in that case, it should not be on the gun stock maker, but on the person who installs a rifle with too short a barrel. For example, if Colt sells me a complete rifle lower and I install a 5 inch barreled upper to it, it doesn't go back on Colt.

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I found 18 u.s.c. § 921(a)(11)(b) which states "The term “dealer” means any person engaged in the business of repairing firearms or of making or fitting special barrels, stocks, or trigger mechanisms to firearms"

Doesn't that mean you have to be a licensed dealer to make and sell stocks? Or does that mean you have to be a dealer if you fir the stock to the firearm?

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Afraid not,..........if it's fired from the shoulder it's a rifle and if the barrel is under 16" OR the OAL is under 26" it's an SBR. AOW can't be fired from the shoulder unless it's a combination rifle/shotgun,.......by definition. Either way, whether unregistered AOW or unregistered SBR it's a felony.

This is only in reference to the cop taking away the guy's home modified airsoft stock. Assuming he had a rifle barrel/action that fit it, he may have had an unregistered 'something' depending on length. Can't say definitively without more info.

You don't need a manufacturers FFL to make stocks although you may possibly need to register with ITAR(which is what,......$3500/yr?). You need legal advice not available on a gun forum if you want to get involved with anything related to firearms manufacturing.

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    I found 18 u.s.c. § 921(a)(11)(b) which states "The term “dealer” means any person engaged in the business of repairing firearms or of making or fitting special barrels, stocks, or trigger mechanisms to firearms"

Doesn't that mean you have to be a licensed dealer to make and sell stocks? Or does that mean you have to be a dealer if you fir the stock to the firearm?

Someone who sells fish for the market (a fishmonger) could also be termed a "dealer". What's your point? Defining a term is meaningless unless you give it context.

You're being ridiculous if you mean to say someone making stocks needs a FFL to carve wood. Probably just like they need a Class III license, right?

Please.

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    You don't need a manufacturers FFL to make stocks although you may possibly need to register with ITAR(which is what,......$3500/yr?).

OMFG, are you for real? Regardless what the State Department would strongarm you into believing (or teh intarwebs), nobody in the business of carving wood needs a ******* FFL, much less pay the $5000 protection fee to that Loser, Kerry.

If you have nothing to add but repeating uncertainty, misquoting figures, and recommending a lawyer, then just keep moving, dude.

Top Bottom