• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    Good job, Merlot is one of my favorites, unlike Miles Raymond. Been quite a few years, but made some odd stuff like Banana, Rhubarb and Persimmon wines. Got lazy and buy some good ones now. There's a member on here making wine, Leadeye, search his name and wine.

12594618173_96590ba082.jpg

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    The OG says it's a bit sweet with an easy finish.
    I only met your better half once or twice, but I think she used a similar turn of phrase to describe you John.

But seriously, nice work. My Dad brews his own beer and has been trying to get me interested in it for a while. I'd much rather make wine or distill my own spirits.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    But seriously, nice work. My Dad brews his own beer and has been trying to get me interested in it for a while. I'd much rather make wine or distill my own spirits.
    It's a fair amount of work to produce 14 1.5L bottles of wine. The equipment buy in was around $300, I started in August with 2 gallons of juice, 4 gallons of purified water, and some yeast. And a lot of moving around containers with some specific chemicals to prevent spoilage, etc.

I don't know how the friars from 500 years ago managed without making themselves sick!

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I brew beer & wine. Just bottled/kegged a pineapple cider kit @ 5%, skeeter pee( water,lemon juice,sugar, & yeast) @ 11%. I bottled a california moscato @ 7 %. I am getting ready to brew a dubbel & a hoilday spiced ale. I made a dragons blood wine last year from scratch( mixed berry, sugar, water,yeast. I use 7 gallon fermonster now instead of the bucket or glass carboys. As with any hobbie the initial startup is expensive, but the cost per bottle on wine or beer is way cheaper than at the store. going to make this next summer:

Attachments

• viking_blod.jpg
      viking_blod.jpg
      59.1 KB · Views: 4

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I brew beer & wine. Just bottled/kegged a pineapple cider kit @ 5%, skeeter pee( water,lemon juice,sugar, & yeast) @ 11%. I bottled a california moscato @ 7 %. I am getting ready to brew a dubbel & a hoilday spiced ale. I made a dragons blood wine last year from scratch( mixed berry, sugar, water,yeast. I use 7 gallon fermonster now instead of the bucket or glass carboys. As with any hobbie the initial startup is expensive, but the cost per bottle on wine or beer is way cheaper than at the store. going to make this next summer:
    I managed a little over 12.5% on this batch. I'm pretty happy with my first effort.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I bought some tart cherry juice & some pomagranit juice, I threw each juice into a larger contain with some 1118 yeast. The wife loved both of them. I do all my wine in 750. I did buy some blank labels from amazon

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Gave away or recycled about 500 wine bottles and fermenting equipment that I didn't have time or funds to play with many moons ago. Came from a great uncle who passed. I'm sure I disappointed him.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've got more than I need these days. Other than killing every raccoon in the forest I don't see how I'll beat them to the paw paws. The year I bought this woods they were full of them and I brought buckets back to make many gallons of a great wine. Since we moved here I've never gotten more than enough to make a gallon.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've got more than I need these days. Other than killing every raccoon in the forest I don't see how I'll beat them to the paw paws. The year I bought this woods they were full of them and I brought buckets back to make many gallons of a great wine. Since we moved here I've never gotten more than enough to make a gallon.
    Why isn't sweet little Susie keeping an eye on the coons for you? ;)

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    So, you have now given me a reason to request an in person visit to the Leadeye compound.

Lots of trees here, and there's always the museum.

I have a gallon or so of pharmaceutical grade ethanol left over from a previous experiment in hand sanitizer for my employers. I'm experimenting with with a new bourbon process. I was inspired when cutting white oak with the 046 and seeing the chips. I figure that since bourbon gets it's color and flavor from the white oak barrels where the alcohol cycles in and out of the wood over time and seasons, I could improve the process from a surface area to volume ratio aspect by caramelizing the oak chips and cycling the alcohol through them.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom