• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • purdue98

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2015
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    I may have missed if GOA was listed. When legislation is going forward, they are very good about sending me links in my email to contact the representatives for my area of Indiana. Granted, the letters that are sent are composed by GOA leadership but there is always the option to add more depending upon the representative.

PSOD

Probably on the toilet
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 24, 2023
    Owen/Clay county
    oh i love a good rant.. here goes..

Context: i spent 2 years pre law at iu so definitely not a lawyer but i have read more than my fair share of the majority and dissenting opinions of nearly all 2a related sup ct cases cause why not, im a nerd.

the second amendment reads: a well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of the free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

pretty much everyone with a strong opinion either way on 2a glosses over a glaring significance in the way the 2a was written. GRAMMAR!

before its adoption into the constitution, 2a was revised i believe 7 times, the last of which was simply to add a comma. Why is this significant you may ask?

well its because the way 2a was originally written. "the right of the people..... shall not be infringed" was a dependent clause cause it was originally separated by a semicolon. Some of our founding fathers wanted to clarify that both the militia section and rights sections were both stand alone ideas. again you may ask why is this significant?

its because the first part of 2a was intended to be a justification, not a dependent idea that was conditional on the establishment of a militia to warrant possession of firearms

all that being said, each idea separated by a comma from a grammatical standpoint is a stand alone idea not conditional on any other parts.

rant over, if you have any more questions, feel free to grill me, i love this stuff and pissed off more than one of my law profs by insisting on arguing it at every possible opportunity. they hated it cause they knew i was right and couldn't make a logical counterargument without me making a fool of them in front of the class.

check-mate wacky law profs

PSOD

Probably on the toilet
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 24, 2023
    Owen/Clay county
    oh i love a good rant.. here goes..

Context: i spent 2 years pre law at iu so definitely not a lawyer but i have read more than my fair share of the majority and dissenting opinions of nearly all 2a related sup ct cases cause why not, im a nerd.

the second amendment reads: a well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of the free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

pretty much everyone with a strong opinion either way on 2a glosses over a glaring significance in the way the 2a was written. GRAMMAR!

before its adoption into the constitution, 2a was revised i believe 7 times, the last of which was simply to add a comma. Why is this significant you may ask?

well its because the way 2a was originally written. "the right of the people..... shall not be infringed" was a dependent clause cause it was originally separated by a semicolon. Some of our founding fathers wanted to clarify that both the militia section and rights sections were both stand alone ideas. again you may ask why is this significant?

its because the first part of 2a was intended to be a justification, not a dependent idea that was conditional on the establishment of a militia to warrant possession of firearms

all that being said, each idea separated by a comma from a grammatical standpoint is a stand alone idea not conditional on any other parts.

rant over, if you have any more questions, feel free to grill me, i love this stuff and pissed off more than one of my law profs by insisting on arguing it at every possible opportunity. they hated it cause they knew i was right and couldn't make a logical counterargument without me making a fool of them in front of the class.

check-mate wacky law profs
    edit: fact check me if you want, i may be a bit off on some of the specific details cause i just spit all this off the top of my head with zero references and its been a few years since i was in the classroom but the general premise is sound.

R3p1lc3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2024
    English
    Gun Owners of America needs some love here. They are doing some good work via the Judicial system to reign in some of the over reach.

Top Bottom