• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CZ evo3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 17, 2017
    Carrollton
    Anyone know a great 1911 pistolsmith in southern Indiana who can properly fit a magwell to a 1911? Also, ideas on what manufacturer/model is best. I would prefer something my Wilson/rogers mags will still work with.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Smith & Alexander is my go to. There is usually no fitment involved past trimming on the grips depending on what grips you have or get.
    Brownells.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Smith & Alexander is my go to. There is usually no fitment involved past trimming on the grips depending on what grips you have or get.
    Brownells.

The only issue with S&A's is while they are easy to install, on factory beveled guns the S&A's overhang the original beveled magwell and look unfinished unless they are blended albeit that is just a cosmetic issue and may only bother me. S&A's been around for years and they usually worked just right on Colt's but they haven't really kept up with the times and changing factory frames. I can't believe they are 100.00 now, been awhile since I ordered one!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The only issue with S&A's is while they are easy to install, on factory beveled guns the S&A's overhang the original beveled magwell and look unfinished unless they are blended albeit that is just a cosmetic issue and may only bother me. S&A's been around for years and they usually worked just right on Colt's but they haven't really kept up with the times and changing factory frames. I can't believe they are 100.00 now, been awhile since I ordered one!

I always blend. Yeah it bothers me but not sure what the Kimber has. Not a Kimber guy.
    The Chens are new to me.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I always blend. Yeah it bothers me but not sure what the Kimber has. Not a Kimber guy.
    The Chens are new to me.

Kimbers all have pretty good beveling that an add on magwell would have to be blended to, I haven't tried the Chen yet but if it's as advertised should reduce the need to blend. I thought Allen had used a Chen on one of your guns?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Kimbers all have pretty good beveling that an add on magwell would have to be blended to, I haven't tried the Chen yet but if it's as advertised should reduce the need to blend. I thought Allen had used a Chen on one of your guns?

He did but it was the one the required about .300 be removed so the grip was the same length as built. I did not care for it. I like the extra length of the add on MW as it fills my hand better.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I’ve used the S&A mag wells and haven’t had any major issues. I use flat bottom grips that match up with the magwell because it doesn’t look right with regular grips. Have heard good things about the Chen parts and might try one on my next project.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I certainly don't want to contradict the Mouse on his suggestions, but I've installed an Ed Brown drop in MaxiWell to improve speed reloads on my Dan Wesson. Maybe I just don't have a detailed enough eye, but I thought the fit was good and I didn't have to do anything with the VZ grips that were on it. Overall I'm happy with it and am planning on installing one on my Kimber Crimson Carry eventually.

--Rick

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I certainly don't want to contradict the Mouse on his suggestions, but I've installed an Ed Brown drop in MaxiWell to improve speed reloads on my Dan Wesson. Maybe I just don't have a detailed enough eye, but I thought the fit was good and I didn't have to do anything with the VZ grips that were on it. Overall I'm happy with it and am planning on installing one on my Kimber Crimson Carry eventually.

--Rick

I have used EB parts also but had some issues along that path and found a new one to walk on.

Top Bottom