• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gd999

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 24, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Just realized most of the mags I bought are the gen 2. I went ahead and grabbed some gen 3, and a few with the window. Is there a huge different with the two gens? I know the newest is more durable etc. But real life exp, is it worth it to get more gen 3?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I like Gen 2s better personally. Gen 3 has that hump on the back near the midline that sometimes makes seating them a tad more difficult. I have a few that I don't trust to use for anything other training because they consistently bump up against the bottom of the mag well. And I'm not talking about Anderson lowers or some other cheap brand. I have had issues seating them in my BCM and Spikes Tactical lower receivers.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I like Gen 2s better personally. Gen 3 has that hump on the back near the midline that sometimes makes seating them a tad more difficult. I have a few that I don't trust to use for anything other training because they consistently bump up against the bottom of the mag well. And I'm not talking about Anderson lowers or some other cheap brand. I have had issues seating them in my BCM and Spikes Tactical lower receivers.
    thats good to note. Glad my being poor paid off for once. lol

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    All my 30s are Gen2, they lock up in my CMMGs and drop free.
    The 10 rounders I have for range use are Gen3 and lock up OK but need some assistance clearing the magwell.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Just realized most of the mags I bought are the gen 2. I went ahead and grabbed some gen 3, and a few with the window. Is there a huge different with the two gens? I know the newest is more durable etc. But real life exp, is it worth it to get more gen 3?
    Yes, there is an important difference. The Gen 3's are engineered to resolve the angle or height of the M855A1 cartridge (just like Big Army's EPM mag). You need the projectile on the 855A1 (tungsten) to clear the barrel extension so it does not eat an M4. Big difference IF you have access to 855A1.:D

"Freeman, I only shoot what I can find in gun stores."

Cool, buy those Gen 2 mags and stack them deep. I have both. I only have a dozen or some Gen 3s just in case I run across M855A1 some day.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The EPMs and PMag Gen 3s work just fine with all sorts of M193 that I use in training.

If you like the Gen 2 you may want to check out the THRiL magazine (same engineer as the Lancer mag). I recently purchased some and they are solid performers.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Yes, there is an important difference. The Gen 3's are engineered to resolve the angle or height of the M855A1 cartridge (just like Big Army's EPM mag). You need the projectile on the 855A1 (tungsten) to clear the barrel extension so it does not eat an M4. Big difference IF you have access to 855A1.:D

"Freeman, I only shoot what I can find in gun stores."

Cool, buy those Gen 2 mags and stack them deep. I have both. I only have a dozen or some Gen 3s just in case I run across M855A1 some day.
    20210504_215608.png 20210504_215548.png

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ... You need the projectile on the 855A1 (tungsten) to clear the barrel extension so it does not eat an M4. Big difference IF you have access to 855A1...
    While a steel tip would also be rough on the barrel extension, a quick search indicates the 855A1 has a steel tip and no tungsten in it.

"Cartridge, Caliber 5.56 mm, Ball, M855LF Lead Free [Green tip]: 62-grain bullet with a steel penetrator tip over a tungsten-composite core in a full copper jacket. Primarily used during training in countries with strict lead disposal laws.

Cartridge, Caliber 5.56 mm, Ball, M855A1 Enhanced Performance Round [unpainted steel penetrator tip] (2010–Present): 62-grain bullet w/ a 19-grain steel penetrator tip over a copper alloy core in a partial copper jacket.[95]"

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    While a steel tip would also be rough on the barrel extension, a quick search indicates the 855A1 has a steel tip and no tungsten in it.

"Cartridge, Caliber 5.56 mm, Ball, M855LF Lead Free [Green tip]: 62-grain bullet with a steel penetrator tip over a tungsten-composite core in a full copper jacket. Primarily used during training in countries with strict lead disposal laws.

Cartridge, Caliber 5.56 mm, Ball, M855A1 Enhanced Performance Round [unpainted steel penetrator tip] (2010–Present): 62-grain bullet w/ a 19-grain steel penetrator tip over a copper alloy core in a partial copper jacket.[95]"
    Truer today as more steel is used because of the expense of tungsten, but the M855A1 was originally developed with tungsten core.

You can read about the history here:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom