• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just happened to have a really nasty case of maggots today. without thinking I tossed the chicken tray full of bones after deboning some thighs in the big blue can out front without putting it in a plastic bag. Mistake.
    I've got hundreds if not thousands of maggots climbing the inside of the can and dropping to the ground next to it. I tried everything I had on hand to kill them before they left the can. Perimeter insect killer, flying insect killer, roach killer. Even sprinkling borax where they are dropping. Nothing seems to work.

So tonight I go to the hardware store and get an outdoor fly trap to hang in the area to catch them as they become flies.

What have you found that kills them dead? (besides a flamethrower)

But it was cool to watch a colony of small ants attack one and try to eat it alive. That was cool to watch.

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    Just happened to have a really nasty case of maggots today. without thinking I tossed the chicken tray full of bones after deboning some thighs in the big blue can out front without putting it in a plastic bag. Mistake.
    I've got hundreds if not thousands of maggots climbing the inside of the can and dropping to the ground next to it. I tried everything I had on hand to kill them before they left the can. Perimeter insect killer, flying insect killer, roach killer. Even sprinkling borax where they are dropping. Nothing seems to work.

So tonight I go to the hardware store and get an outdoor fly trap to hang in the area to catch them as they become flies.

What have you found that kills them dead? (besides a flamethrower)

But it was cool to watch a colony of small ants attack one and try to eat it alive. That was cool to watch.

How about a thick black trash bag over the top of the can, wrapped a few times with duct tape to seal everything in, then sit the can in the direct sun? See if maybe they suffocate or cook?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    How about a thick black trash bag over the top of the can, wrapped a few times with duct tape to seal everything in, then sit the can in the direct sun? See if maybe they suffocate or cook?
    This is one of those giant city provided rolling cans. Too big.
    Bleach. Wash them into the bottom with a 50/50 mixture and let them set in it.
    Not this time. I tossed a 5 gallon bucket of street gutter dirt/gravel into the bottom. Would take too much bleach water.

The good news is they stopped. So something I used appears to have killed them. It just took a while.

Ooooooor they all finally escaped and are burrowed down waiting to pupate. :puke:

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Y'all aint right in the head.

(which is why we all get along so well)
    permethrin 10 you can get it at feed store etc, I believe the dilution rate is 1.5 oz per Quart. If you were closer you could come by and pick some up. It comes in a large bottle so there will be plenty. It takes out mites, flys etc.

of course no where near as fun as a flamethrower

Top Bottom