• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    Been away from InGo for a bit. Life getting in the way like most of you all know. Still lurking in the shadows from the time to time.

So I got a wild hair and bought some Gibeon Iron Meteorite....

I can't remember if I ever posted this Glock. I machined a couple of pieces in the past for it. Basically, it's a Glock with NO plastic.

I call it the Mandalorian.

Only Glock worth putting iron from the heavens on it. It would be a shame to waste the material on a plastic gun. Currently have plans for a back plate, front sight, and maybe a rear sight if I have enough material. If not I'll have to get another piece later and give it a go. Definitely the most expensive bar stock I've ever purchased :):

I've never worked with a material like this before or anything remotely similar for that matter. I chose a Gibeon Iron Meteorite due to its machinability characteristics and its Widmanstatten patterns. Cabot guns chose the same for their "big bang" set. Fun fact, I've actually been fortunate enough to see them in person. Gibeons consist mostly of Iron, Nickel, Cobalt, and Phosphorus. So we'll see how she machines.

Stay tuned. might be a bit before I get started but hoping to get going in the next couple of weeks. working on models now.

kzlGc4N.jpg

g4QUvi0.jpg

na6hqq5.jpg

nCwBpkB.png

:):

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    Been away from InGo for a bit. Life getting in the way like most of you all know. Still lurking in the shadows from the time to time.

So I got a wild hair and bought some Gibeon Iron Meteorite....

I can't remember if I ever posted this Glock. I machined a couple of pieces in the past for it. Basically, it's a Glock with NO plastic.

I call it the Mandalorian.

Only Glock worth putting iron from the heavens on it. It would be a shame to waste the material on a plastic gun. Currently have plans for a back plate, front sight, and maybe a rear sight if I have enough material. If not I'll have to get another piece later and give it a go. Definitely the most expensive bar stock I've ever purchased :):

I've never worked with a material like this before or anything remotely similar for that matter. I chose a Gibeon Iron Meteorite due to its machinability characteristics and its Widmanstatten patterns. Cabot guns chose the same for their "big bang" set. Fun fact, I've actually been fortunate enough to see them in person. Gibeons consist mostly of Iron, Nickel, Cobalt, and Phosphorus. So we'll see how she machines.

Stay tuned. might be a bit before I get started but hoping to get going in the next couple of weeks. working on models now.

kzlGc4N.jpg

g4QUvi0.jpg

na6hqq5.jpg

nCwBpkB.png

:):
    :popcorn:

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    Made the first couple of cuts last night. I cheated and stopped by a buddy's shop and borrowed some wire EDM time. After a couple of adult beverages, we decided to throw it in the oil wire. The main reason was to keep it from rusting.

So far I've ground and wired on it. Seems to readily machine so far. We'll see how it mills.

Some interesting grind dust or chips should I say formed. Almost like hard milling chips from a 1/16" endmill. Mixed in with the dust were dark blue and straw-colored chips. Very interesting...

w5eR65l.jpg

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I think that's the the natural crystalline grain pattern from when it was formed in space. Depending on the method used to cut/machine it it exposes that grain to make it visible. I think museums cut then polish them to show the grain.

Very cool stuff there and an imaginative use of it. I'd love to find me a chunk of it, some are almost a rare as moon rock.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    Does the triangular pattern come from acid etching? Great looking pistol.
    Yes. The triangular pattern that you a referring to is what is known as "Widmanstatten."

In order for it to be visible like the first pictures I post it must be polished to a mirror finish then acid-etched with ferric chloride or nitric acid.

During the machining processes, it will look very similar to normal steels or irons. Some slight grain structure will be visible but really only under a scope.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    I work with a tool and die guy that was at Cabbot. He talked about the challenges of using the metiorite. Machining was not their biggest challenge, heat treating parts that required it was. They actually hired a very experienced machinist/gunsmith to focus solely on those guns.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    Very cool idea.

Are you going to have to install something on the sight to help in be visible, gold dot maybe?
    Sorry for the lateeee response Jaybird.

It crossed my mind but I decided to steer away from it. I felt it may take the effect away from the meteorite's pattern.

I'll admit it's more of a safe queen gun. I DO shoot it, but on rare occasions.

Top Bottom