• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...Everything lines up good but the hole appear to be about .003-.005" to the right too much...

It ain't goin to space, man.;)

I doubt you had a burr or anything throw you off. The nature of that set up, long workpiece, held at the bottom, long electrode, held at the bottom, makes ending up on perfect location VERY difficult. If either, or both are held just a couple of thousandths out of square, you'll be off a bit over the length of that burn.

When we make electrodes, we cut the trode on the same fixture we use in the burner. That eliminates half of the potential problem.

Of course I cheat and cut them on a 5 axis mill;)...

YFTOaSel.jpg

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    It ain't goin to space, man.;)

I doubt you had a burr or anything throw you off. The nature of that set up, long workpiece, held at the bottom, long electrode, held at the bottom, makes ending up on perfect location VERY difficult. If either, or both are held just a couple of thousandths out of square, you'll be off a bit over the length of that burn.

When we make electrodes, we cut the trode on the same fixture we use in the burner. That eliminates half of the potential problem.

Of course I cheat and cut them on a 5 axis mill;)...

I know, I know I'm just used to working on +-.0002". It can make you picky.

I did indicate it all it before hand everything "appeared" to be within .0002. But like you say Lonnng tool, Lonnng part it will amplify.

I do usually try and keep it in the 3R fixture. Due to our spin fixture I wasn't able to.

Ya a multi axis would have made a h#$% of a difference.. lol

Really would love to do more multi axis stuff, never really got to work with them. Yet, anyways.

SpydieSig

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 26, 2019
    Lafayette
    This thread was a good read. From one machinist to another this is very impressive work. Love the subtle cuts on the outside for a little flair without being gaudy. Anxious to see this running on a frame!

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    working on a cutter today to do the spotface for the recoil spring on the inside of the slide. Never messed with a reverse counterbore tool, pretty interesting and simple. Only issue was the cutters come with a 1/32 radius on the corners. A 7/16" diameter cutter would give enough room for the spring to seat but not with the radius. I reground the cutter and put my reliefs on today. I still may barely knock the sharp corners off on the edge of the flutes. Don't what that sharp of a corner left on the slide as a weak point.

q32zOMH.jpg

Ld6Ku5T.png

Last edited:

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Meh, it's just 2 more axis.:dunno:

But it makes for millions of more ways to crash.:laugh:

This is the truth. Been running a Swiss A32 recently. 2 spindles, live tooling, bar feed, etc. Do all programming by hand on it, the only time I use a “software” is WinCNC, which isn’t a cam software but a “quick code” type of software. You still code it, it just speeds it up. Multiple axis aren’t difficult, it’s just more time consuming and stressful. If you can do 2 axis, you can do 5 axis, and if you enjoy what you do, it isn’t that difficult causentoy like to learn new ways/things about the trade.

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    Took a detour from the M2 last night. Fitted the barrel and the recoil spring.

My advice of the reverse counter bore tool.. Choke up on it, she'll wanna walk

FD02fXk.jpg

fUZH4nN.jpg

X2kZsXN.jpg

t4SRFFA.jpg

acLNd5T.jpg

xxtZCGu.jpg

Last edited:

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    Jump over to the Glock slide project this past weekend and took a break from the M2. The cutters I ordered finally came in and I was able to cut the rear sight dove tail and the two channels for the frame rails. Just a couple more cuts on the mill and it'll be ready for heat treat, then off to grinding and making it pretty.

VjSRqKA.jpg

YLeD2vs.jpg

HCa2TEy.jpg

rTW34J2.jpg

IzYiBLc.jpg

66RGAOj.jpg

SPOOK331945

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2018
    Southern IN
    Now that the M2 project is out of the way I finished up the slide other than tempering it. Got everything green ground and chamfers put on, and got it heat treated. It has a color case hardened look to it thinking about leaving it. idk

vPX2gQl.jpg

sYx8kBH.jpg

DYw7Y6u.jpg

fRwmDAn.jpg

UYxGY5h.jpg

OR4PyEr.jpg

m3Mb8vr.jpg

yv0jezo.jpg

q9Nr1eW.jpg

tTqDqKu.jpg

cdob62f.jpg

f48SWCr.jpg

GeVP0Xf.jpg

yXkIJgs.jpg

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Looking good spook! How much did it change in heat treat? And ya I agree, I kinda like the look of it, it’s definitely one of a kind. Keep us updated

Top Bottom