• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • xryan.jacksonx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    I'm trying to decide between a MAC-10 with a slow fire upper and a 1917A1. Currently, I own an AC-556. The price tag on the 1917 is a little more than double the MAC-10. I've never fired a belt fed, tripod mounted gun before. Does anyone have experience with either? I kind of feel like the 1917 has the cool historicla factor, but may not be as enjoyable in the long run, but that's sort of a gun feeling.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The 1917 is big heavy and shoots much more expensive ammo, it's a production to get these into the field and set up. You will need the correct tripod, ammo boxes, the wood kind, cloth belts and a belt loading machine. Don't forget the water. MACs of all stripes shoot much cheaper ammo faster and are no different than getting any other SA gun out.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    The 1917 is big heavy and shoots much more expensive ammo, it's a production to get these into the field and set up. You will need the correct tripod, ammo boxes, the wood kind, cloth belts and a belt loading machine. Don't forget the water. MACs of all stripes shoot much cheaper ammo faster and are no different than getting any other SA gun out.
    This is the voice of experience.

maxipum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Bloomington
    All true, that said the 1917 would be my choice.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    In addition to what Leadeye said, your enjoyment will depend greatly on what type of shooting area you have access to and what kind of targets you will have available. If you can shoot somewhere like Knob Creek with worthwhile targets, the 1917A1 will scratch a totally different itch than the AC-556 that you already own. If your shooting area and targets are less exotic, then the MAC-10 with slowfire upper would probably be more fun, convenient, and cheaper. It also easy and relatively inexpensive to crank out a ton of subgun food on a Dillon reloading press. :twocents:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    In addition to what Leadeye said, your enjoyment will depend greatly on what type of shooting area you have access to and what kind of targets you will have available. If you can shoot somewhere like Knob Creek with worthwhile targets, the 1917A1 will scratch a totally different itch than the AC-556 that you already own. If your shooting area and targets are less exotic, then the MAC-10 with slowfire upper would probably be more fun, convenient, and cheaper. It also easy and relatively inexpensive to crank out a ton of subgun food on a Dillon reloading press. :twocents:

Aaron is spot on, feeding NFA these days is way different than back in the 80s. An Mg-42 will burn through money faster than Lamar Odum in a top shelf whorehouse.;)

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    If you want to get heavily into reloading and spend the money on a big Dillon setup, a big belt fed is hard to beat for fun. Though I would go for a 1919 over 1917, as the 1919 is a little easier to deal with.

harleyindys

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Southside Indy
    I shot Mac10 with lage upper and it is very good I could even 3 round burst very manageable has rail on top for halo sight plus side folder and lage mag release on grip

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I will bet money you will shoot the sub gun more often, regardless of the ammo costs. My first MG was an AC556 and I sold it to buy a Vickers. In the interim I picked up a Sterling, so I still had something small to play with. Not a lot of history to a MAC, but they are very shootable, with the slow fire upper. I dearly love my Vickers and enjoy the history of it and telling people about it and letting them experience it, but it’s pain to setup, tear down and especially clean. I basi don’t take it out unless I plan on shooting at least a couple of belts through it. You for sue want to make sure you get all the water out of it! I only shoot my Vickers once a year or so, but the Sterling often goes along on a trip. As has been said, it will treated like most semi auto guns you have as far as range trips. And, I’ll generally let an interested shooter fire off a mag of my ammo, but it’s more likely someone will say “I’ve got a box of 9mm, can I load up a mag?” than for someone to say “I’ve got a hundred rounds of 30-‘06, can I load up half a belt?”

I can also shoot the Sterling in many indoor ranges, not something that will likely happen with a water cooled belt fed. I can shoot to 300 m, and while it’s nice, it’s easy to put a burst on the large steel plate at that distance so it’s not super challenging with good ammo and a 90 pound gun! But, nothing impresses like a 250 round belt dump,!

Top Bottom