• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    Does anyone make a 300 Black Out upper in a M4 configuration. I don't want gimmicks, rainbow colors, the latest, greatest fad. Just need a truck, direct impingement, flat top upper, with mil-spec frt sight/gas block, and forearm.
    I know it's old school, out of date and all, but that suits me fine. I enjoy leverguns. <>< Duce

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    If one is made I haven't found it yet. I have found m4 profile barrels so you could build your own I guess. I too have been wanting an m4 style 300blk.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    I've not seen one either. A quick check of PSA and Ballistic Advantage didn't turn up one in any length. Optics Planet turned up a Spikes Tactical. Went to the Spikes Tactical site and found several. Be prepared for some sticker shock depending on what you've bought in the past.

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    I haven't seen one, but if you decide to build one. I have a 16" CMMG carbine length 300blk barrel, barrel nut, delta ring, gas tube, an iron sight gas block, and a charging handle I'd sell you. You would just need a stripped upper, bcg, hand guard, and someone to drill the taper pins for the gas block.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The problem that you are running into is a design issue between the M4 style that you are talking about and the 300 BLK cartridge.

The 300 BLK cartridge needs a short gas system to function reliably. Even carbine length gas systems are less than optimal. The pistol length gas systems are preferred.

I don't believe that 16" M4 style front sight/gas block and apropriate barrel is a possibliity in 300 BLK.

Last edited:

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    The problem that you are running into is a design issue between the M4 style that you are talking about and the 300 BLK cartridge.

The 300 BLK cartridge needs a short gas system to function reliably. Even carbine length gas systems are less than optimal. The pistol length gas systems are preferred.

I don't believe that 16" M4 style front sight/gas block and apropriate barrel is a possibliity in 300 BLK.
    I agree with you, but the 16" carbine gas barrel I have cycles supersonic fine. It also cycled subsonic fine with a suppressor. Though anything shorter than a 16" I definitely want a pistol length gas system.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I agree with you, but the 16" carbine gas barrel I have cycles supersonic fine. It also cycled subsonic fine with a suppressor. Though anything shorter than a 16" I definitely want a pistol length gas system.

I'm sorry my friend, I was not referring to your post. I'm sure your's runs fine, as did the first one I ever shot when they come out. IIRC, it was in M4 configuration. Years later, after the caliber looked as if it would not go extinct, I built a couple of my own. The research at that time was to always err on the side of pistol length gas systems, regardless of barrel length.

I'm guessing the chance that subs might get into the gun, or any other ammo (like reloads) that might compromise reliability, is the reason manufacturers currently err on the side of pistol length gas systems? Thus no more M4 configurations with carbine legnth gas block front sights? :dunno:

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Does anyone make a 300 Black Out upper in a M4 configuration. I don't want gimmicks, rainbow colors, the latest, greatest fad. Just need a truck, direct impingement, flat top upper, with mil-spec frt sight/gas block, and forearm.
    I know it's old school, out of date and all, but that suits me fine. I enjoy leverguns. <>< Duce
    I am confused. If an M4 were a caliber other than 5.56 then it is a gimmick and fad. The M4 is made in 5.56 and only that.

Your request is not old school at all, it is new school. Have to ask, why the M4 profile? Why not just a medium profile like the BCMs?

I am unaware of such a specification, but can tell you that I am very happy with my LWRCI .300 blackout (IC DI).

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    It's expensive, but I found this one.
    https://texasshooterssupply.com/product/tss-retro-m4-style-ar-15-complete-rifle-upper-300-aac/
    I have a 10.5 carbine gas .300 BLK. I had to open up the gas port a smidge, but it works great now.

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    Looks likes www.mapartsinc.co stocks them, plus cmmg produces them. Really not going to pony up the dough to buy a suppressor. Looking to replace my 30/30 truck rifle. After having a love/hate affair with AR's, getting kinda fond of M4 carbine platform. Might start gripping the front magwell when shooting offhand. I've read the downside of using a 16" barrel. Wonder what placing the gas port/block, pistol distance on a 16" barrel would do? <>< Duce

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    Looks likes www.mapartsinc.co stocks them, plus cmmg produces them. Really not going to pony up the dough to buy a suppressor. Looking to replace my 30/30 truck rifle. After having a love/hate affair with AR's, getting kinda fond of M4 carbine platform. Might start gripping the front magwell when shooting offhand. I've read the downside of using a 16" barrel. Wonder what placing the gas port/block, pistol distance on a 16" barrel would do? <>< Duce
    That's a whole lot cheaper than the one I found. I have a pistol gas 16" barrel and it did better than the carbine gas.

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    Update: Picked up a 300 blkout barrel from Br8818. Pick up a stripped upper, a BCG, a few other parts. Find my 30" pipe wrench and a crescent wrench........ Nothing like shooting something built your self.<><Duce

Reactions: JAL

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Update: Picked up a 300 blkout barrel from Br8818. Pick up a stripped upper, a BCG, a few other parts. Find my 30" pipe wrench and a crescent wrench........ Nothing like shooting something built your self.<><Duce
    I was in the process of doing that but in 556. I wanted to 100% build my 5 lowers out so i could say i built my ar15s myself. Well funds ran out and ended up buying only 2 complete uppers. I was always negative toward those that said "i built my ar15s" and i would come back and say, no you didn't..you might have milled the lowers yourself, but you bought those uppers already built. Some day i will get the tools to do uppers and get my satisfaction "i did that" feeling.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I was in the process of doing that but in 556. I wanted to 100% build my 5 lowers out so i could say i built my ar15s myself. Well funds ran out and ended up buying only 2 complete uppers. I was always negative toward those that said "i built my ar15s" and i would come back and say, no you didn't..you might have milled the lowers yourself, but you bought those uppers already built. Some day i will get the tools to do uppers and get my satisfaction "i did that" feeling.
    Not that much to it.

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    AR-15 Big boy's Erector Set/Tinker Toy. There's a world of info out there, just read. I was worried about the headspace. I've talked to several builders, to the man they said they've never had any problems, with quality parts. I've taken game with muzzle loaders I built, kit and from scratch. Chamber and head spaced a centerfire rifle and did the same.
    Now thinking of building a 350 Legend upper, any thoughts?

Top Bottom