• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RoguePatriot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2021
    Bloomington
    Has anyone had good results with the lansky sharpening system? I have one but finding it hard to get decent results. I get better luck with a regular stone by hand.

RoguePatriot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2021
    Bloomington
    I've used one for years....works well for me.
    It's all about the angle.
    Mine came with diamond stones as well as hard Arkansas stones. I think the Arkansas stones do a better job on a finer edge, but i have only 2. Maybe i should invest in a new set and see if results change.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Maybe I'm just dumb but I've never gotten anything approaching a decent factory edge out of my 5-stone Lansky. Better than a completely dull knife, I guess, but I'm not impressed with the results I've been able to generate.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    I used the Gatco version for years. Have 3 stones, coarse, medium, and fine. I had a lot of luck with this kit, but it time consuming. Last year I bought a Ken Onion Edition Work Sharp electric sharpener. I absolutely love it. I don't think I have used the Gatco since.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I clamp my knives in the exact spot every time and keep the jaws parallel and get good results. If the jaws aren't parallel it will move and ruin the edge.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I had a lansky system for years. I could get results, but not simple or consistent. About the same with a flat stone or Sharpmaker or KO Worksharp. Always tough to keep the angles right. I could get pretty close, but still have to strop to finish "fix" it.

It always took a long time and was like relearning from the beginning.

I have been putting off sharpening my EDC Benchmades. Sneaking a decent edge back to the factory cut by just stropping. YouTube suggested a video on the Worksharp Precision Adjust. I watched the video, then another, then another.

I picked up a Worksharp Precision Adjust and it has been the ticket for me so far. Razor sharpened four blades pretty quickly without much trouble, other than self created...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just a really good set of flat stones.....some oil....something good on the box and some patience. I find a level of zen doing this.
    I have a couple of systems including a Spyderco. I still like the way the old guys did it on the farm.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I have a 5 stone set that I have used for years.
    I have used it for everything from a pen knife to a machete and kitchen knives. It leaves a clean looking factory edge that is very sharp.
    I use mostly the 25 degree edge.
    I have never found it hard to use.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    145   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I’ve had one for several years. It does a good job for me, but my biggest gripe is the small notch on the clamp. It’s hard to get it locked down and if the spine is radiuses at all, it really doesn’t want to grab. With only a small round knob to tighten down, you really have to bear down on it.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I’ve had one for several years. It does a good job for me, but my biggest gripe is the small notch on the clamp. It’s hard to get it locked down and if the spine is radiuses at all, it really doesn’t want to grab. With only a small round knob to tighten down, you really have to bear down on it.
    The small notch is for very small blades. Bigger blades can go all the way in.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The system doesn't matter if you don't know how to make a sharp edge.
    An edge does two things. It cuts the material and it separates the cut pieces.
    Read this book: Amazon product ASIN 096660590X
    It shows how to sharpen most anything and clearly explains the theory behind each type of edge.
    The theory is great, but I don't like their system. I use a Lansky and I don't use oil.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom