LTCH upgrade from 5year to lifetime question.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 7hatGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Fairland
    Do I just start a new application to get a lifetime license or is there a specific way to move into a lifetime license?
    I couldnt find a specific answer on in.gov.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I believe you just apply for the lifetime permit. I'm not sure if there is a link to apply for a renewal...if there is, it may give you the option of changing to a lifetime on the application. I got mine quite a while ago so I don't remember.

7hatGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Fairland
    I believe you just apply for the lifetime permit. I'm not sure if there is a link to apply for a renewal...if there is, it may give you the option of changing to a lifetime on the application. I got mine quite a while ago so I don't remember.
    Lol I actually just found my answer. Funny how that happens after you ask about it. Both the 5 year and the lifetime can be held concurrently. So i will just have to apply for the lifetime. Thanks for taking the time to respond though.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    My DIL showed me her five year, she waited six months to get it, I asked her why not get the LIFETIME LTCH, and she said because its FREE not $150.
    But me I want a sure thing.
    Anyway, I am happy she has it.

7hatGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Fairland
    My DIL showed me her five year, she waited six months to get it, I asked her why not get the LIFETIME LTCH, and she said because its FREE not $150.
    But me I want a sure thing.
    Anyway, I am happy she has it.
    So full disclosure here I applied for the 5 year as a way to make sure my expungement went through correct. If something would of been messed up i would of been out money for the lifetime. So i went the free route to make sure.
    Now that i know everything is handled i will get the lifetime.

7hatGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Fairland
    Anyone know how long it's taking a standard, 5-year-renewal to go through these days?
    Well mine wasnt a renewal but it took 59 days for mine to happen. 72 for my buddies lifetime and his mom got a renewal i believe and it took 50 some days for that.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    61   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    finger prints 1st of december,local police dec 15th, approved feb 17th, received in mail feb 21st,this was for the 5 year license. my question is does the 5 year let you avoid the 4473 call in now or is it still being looked at??

Mark106

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 15, 2020
    Terre Haute
    finger prints 1st of december,local police dec 15th, approved feb 17th, received in mail feb 21st,this was for the 5 year license. my question is does the 5 year let you avoid the 4473 call in now or is it still being looked at??
    My experience has been that Indiana FFL holders still call in every firearm sale regardless of whether the buyer has the carry license.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The 5 year LTCH was set up to be NICS exempt. You would fill out a 4473, but the FFL would not have to call it in. So when you hear the dreaded "NICS is down" you can plug and chug.

Whether the ATF realizes they could save the folks in Martinsburg, WV some work is yet to be determined.

Top Bottom