• ...and so much more!
  • qwerty

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    Email is the best way to contact someone down there. Our agency never calls anymore.

As long as you are not a Felon or prohibited by a court order, you are fine with owning and possessing on property you own or on property with the permission of the owner (but be cautious as they can simply say the didn't give you permission if anything happened). That provision is in Indiana Code.

Your letter specifically mentions your "License" and not your rights under Indiana Law.

That letter looks like every other denial letter I have seen, so don't get too worked up over it. Most common issue is failure to disclose something. If you were ever in court, in cuffs, or in jail, it needs to be disclosed. Also, active protection orders will show up when they check, so domestic issues should be disclosed. If there is a protection order that prohibits you having a firearm, that will stop it as well. If the local PD has something, like you threatening to shoot a dog, etc, that could also stop it as they can file an objection when they send the application to ISP.

An attorney, as others have suggested, is a good route. Obtaining a limited Criminal History is another. Having a trusted person hold onto it if necessary is another.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    I don't know if I'll fight it or not. If they think I shouldn't be carrying then I respect that. But can I still in my pistol for home protection at least?

I've seen many good responses to this question but I try and look at it like this. Can you walk into a gun store and purchase a firearm? If the answer is yes then I would think you are a proper person of course if you can't then perhaps you shouldn't have the gun.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I've seen many good responses to this question but I try and look at it like this. Can you walk into a gun store and purchase a firearm? If the answer is yes then I would think you are a proper person of course if you can't then perhaps you shouldn't have the gun.

Now that I think of it... :+1:

More guns is always the right answer. Always

Sthunter987

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    Southern Johnson County
    FYI guy, when it comes to meds it can be tracked now. So if you see a dentist and are given pain meds your personal doctor will know it and not subscribe more pain meds. Its Indiana's way of tracking and limiting the pill abuse.

XbigcheezX

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    NWI
    So my permit was rejected. Reason: I take a depression medication and have to see my shrink every 3 months to get my refill. My depression has been under control for over 10 years, zero issues because I religiously take my med.
    I understand thier reasoning with all the crazies out there trying to get guns but I'm not one of them.
    I bought a 380 off Armslist from an individual BEFORE I knew I'd be denied. Guess I'm wondering now if I should sell my gun? They are very unclear as to whether or not I can legally own a firearm if I keep it at home. Obviously I can't legally carry it, but does this mean I can't even possess a gun for home protection?
    If anyone has experience with this please do chime in.
    Thank you.
    Same situation, but I did not get denied. I provided a letter from my therapist when I applied for my permit and had no issues. 50% of the US takes depression meds fwiw, you are not alone and it's great you are getting the treatment you need! Talk to your therapist, explain the situation and ask them to provide a letter that you are not a threat to yourself or others and resubmit.

You do not need a permit to own a handgun for home protection in Indiana, and there are rules on how you can transport it in your vehicle to the range for practice if you do not have a carry permit. If you passed the background check to buy the firearm, you should be good to have it in your home for protection.

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    They don't. But they do check and see if you've been seen for psychological treatment. I'm assuming they know I'm on a med because they seen that I receive treatment every 3 months. Hell I don't even go to the doctors office, we talk on the phone for 5 minutes and if nothing's changed he writes my new script and send it to the pharmacy. Like I said I've been fine for over 10 years but I guess this is my reward for seeking help.
    That's why I've long been against this sort of idiocy. How many people who KNOW this sort of thing happens eschew treatment for fear of losing their rights?

streetsamurai7

Dungeon Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2020
    Fort Wayne
    I just went through this exact situation, and was eventually able to resolve it to receive my LTCH. It was very frustrating, but worth it in the end.

This isn't legal advice at all, and I'm no lawyer, but here's how I navigated this situation last year.

I waited patiently, and called after the 60 day waiting period to check on the status of my application. The woman on the other end of the phone told me that I was denied because I was "emotionally unstable" and "violent." Not sure how she got to that conclusion based on my application, which was filled out online, but whatever. I was pretty miffed, and wrote a letter to Gov. Holcomb about the situation and how I was treated. A few days later, I got a call from the Indiana State Police (ISP from here on out) to discuss the situation.

The officer who helped me was AMAZING. He was very patient, and said they deal with this all the time, and their goal is to help people through it. What I ended up doing was having to schedule an appointment with my primary care physician (the one who sees me and prescribes my meds) and get a note from him. I submitted the note both online on my application through the ISP website, and directly to the officer who was assisting me. The note was worded incorrectly, so I had to go back to my doctor, get a second note, resubmit, and a few days later, got the email that it had been approved.

Don't give up! Contact either the Governor OR the ISP, and get that doctor's endorsement letter. That's all they need to see.

Please let me know if you have any other questions here, I'm more than happy to share my experience as it was really demoralizing for a while, but my persistence paid off.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    When I was getting my second 4 year license, I got denied. I called the State Police and asked what was meant by the reason "POSP". He said it was Possession of Stolen Property. When I was a youngster, I got arrested when we were taking a friend of mine's snowmobile from his northern cottage to Flint. Long story short, I was a victim of circumstance and was told that my arrest record would disappear. Obviously it didn't. The trooper said to mark the application arrested for POSP, not convicted.

When that license expired, I applied for the lifetime. It went through without a question.
    I was a victim of circumstance
    1620210957248.jpeg

Top Bottom