• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    So my permit was rejected. Reason: I take a depression medication and have to see my shrink every 3 months to get my refill. My depression has been under control for over 10 years, zero issues because I religiously take my med.
    I understand thier reasoning with all the crazies out there trying to get guns but I'm not one of them.
    I bought a 380 off Armslist from an individual BEFORE I knew I'd be denied. Guess I'm wondering now if I should sell my gun? They are very unclear as to whether or not I can legally own a firearm if I keep it at home. Obviously I can't legally carry it, but does this mean I can't even possess a gun for home protection?
    If anyone has experience with this please do chime in.
    Thank you.

The bolded sentence and the reasons given in the letter are at odds with each other. My take is the OP did not want to say he had been found not guilty of a crime due to "mental issues", and may not have disclosed that in his application. As others have noted, check with Guy or other competent legal counsel.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The bolded sentence and the reasons given in the letter are at odds with each other. My take is the OP did not want to say he had been found not guilty of a crime due to "mental issues", and may not have disclosed that in his application. As others have noted, check with Guy or other competent legal counsel.

This is key. Don't go to your neighborhood attorney because he/she may not know some of the nuances in gun law. Find someone who specializes. They are worth the extra $$. Our own Kirk Freeman is another good choice and a little closer to you. There is a third that I think is in your neck of the woods. The name Mark (Marc?) comes to mind. (I suddenly feel like I am channeling the Amazing Kreskin. :): )

There may be a lingering legal issue in your past, but those can sometimes be expunged and allow someone to return to their full rights as a citizen thanks to decades of demonstrating that they are an upstanding, law abiding citizen.

And once again, good luck, my friend. Seriously. I hope you can get this sorted out and can exercise your constitutional rights.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Brad’s rules for dealing with government entities part 79

Any time a government agency sends a letter with bold typing your screwed!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    This is key. Don't go to your neighborhood attorney because he/she may not know some of the nuances in gun law. Find someone who specializes. They are worth the extra $$. Our own Kirk Freeman is another good choice and a little closer to you. There is a third that I think is in your neck of the woods. The name Mark (Marc?) comes to mind. (I suddenly feel like I am channeling the Amazing Kreskin. :): )

There may be a lingering legal issue in your past, but those can sometimes be expunged and allow someone to return to their full rights as a citizen thanks to decades of demonstrating that they are an upstanding, law abiding citizen.

And once again, good luck, my friend. Seriously. I hope you can get this sorted out and can exercise your constitutional rights.

Marc Halata

https://www.halatalaw.com/

Challenger76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2020
    South Bend
    I don't know if I'll fight it or not. If they think I shouldn't be carrying then I respect that. But can I still in my pistol for home protection at least?

Challenger76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2020
    South Bend
    I've tried 7 times to call isp firearm licensing branch and can't get through to anyone. If I'm not supposed to be in possession of this 380 then I need to sell it asap.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've tried 7 times to call isp firearm licensing branch and can't get through to anyone. If I'm not supposed to be in possession of this 380 then I need to sell it asap.

Take it easy my friend. One step at a time.
    1st.....Covid. No one is manning their posts right now.
    2nd....Christmas and again. No one is manning their post right now.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You can request a background check from the state police. It should give you a list of your infractions. This might be a place to start.

https://www.in.gov/ai/appfiles/isp-lch/

This. Unless the disqualifying events are on your sealed record as a juvenile. If that is what happened, even this background check wont show anything disqualifying. Remember these background checks only start when you come of age, after a juvenile record would be sealed. (but ISP still sees those records)

And if you are that concerned with being in possession, is there someone trustworthy you can give it to so they can hold it for you until you figure out? That would solve the issue.

IANAL and this is not legal advice, but me personally, I wouldnt sweat having it in the house until after the holiday and you can sort this out. Nobody is going to come knocking looking for it like the Gestapo. Its not hurting anyone today any more than it would have 2 weeks ago before you got that letter. Relax and enjoy the holiday.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Take it easy my friend. One step at a time.
    1st.....Covid. No one is manning their posts right now.
    2nd....Christmas and again. No one is manning their post right now.

This^^ don't get in a rush, also don't volunteer a bunch of unnecessary info. Answer questions asked truthfully. Just because you were denied doesn't necessarily mean you are not allowed to own a firearm. I would recommend contacting one of the lawyers mentioned.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    This is very strange. I have called the licensing division twice in the last few months and got through both times.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This is very strange. I have called the licensing division twice in the last few months and got through both times.

Not really. Its the week of Christmas, plus pandemic conditions. Both conditions in and of themselves are something that causes places to be short staffed. Combine the two...

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I called last Thursday and got right through. My brother applied for a license and we have been waiting for a bit. Two weeks ago I called and got right through as well.

Not really. Its the week of Christmas, plus pandemic conditions. Both conditions in and of themselves are something that causes places to be short staffed. Combine the two...

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana

If you're that concerned, turn it over to someone you're confident isn't prohibited so they can store it for you.

Top Bottom