• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Challenger76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2020
    South Bend
    So my permit was rejected. Reason: I take a depression medication and have to see my shrink every 3 months to get my refill. My depression has been under control for over 10 years, zero issues because I religiously take my med.
    I understand thier reasoning with all the crazies out there trying to get guns but I'm not one of them.
    I bought a 380 off Armslist from an individual BEFORE I knew I'd be denied. Guess I'm wondering now if I should sell my gun? They are very unclear as to whether or not I can legally own a firearm if I keep it at home. Obviously I can't legally carry it, but does this mean I can't even possess a gun for home protection?
    If anyone has experience with this please do chime in.
    Thank you.

Challenger76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2020
    South Bend
    They don't. But they do check and see if you've been seen for psychological treatment. I'm assuming they know I'm on a med because they seen that I receive treatment every 3 months. Hell I don't even go to the doctors office, we talk on the phone for 5 minutes and if nothing's changed he writes my new script and send it to the pharmacy. Like I said I've been fine for over 10 years but I guess this is my reward for seeking help.

Challenger76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2020
    South Bend
    I'm not considered a "proper person" because I sought help and am on a medication for a psychiatric condition- depression. I understand the states side of it, it's a crazy sure and they need to be vigilant handing out carry permits to just anyone but oh well. My main concern is can I even own this gun for home protection.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Something seems fishy here. My wife sees a consoler every now and then and was even on some sort of depression meds when we got together and she got approved no problem. There shouldnt be any sort of opinions in the matter, if your a proper person, your a proper person, no ifs ands or buts. I would go see if you can actually buy a firearm from a dealer, if flags get thrown there then you need to contact the ISP (I would assume) to get this deal straightened out.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Who told you that you weren't a proper person? A guy I worked with was refused because he forgot an arrest that happened 30 years prior. He went in for a hearing and after a short conversation they okayed his permit. Maybe you should ask for an explanation of why you were refused.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    [STRIKE]exactly how did you answers 21e and f? (see the link jeepster posted, or my quoted lines below. )
    e. Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?
    f. Have you ever been adjudicated as a mental defective OR have you ever been committed to a mental institution?[/STRIKE]

Forget the above. I forgot we were talking about a LTCH and not a 4473.

Just seeing a shrink and taking prescribed anti depressants does not make one unfit. Methinks you either haven't told the whole story, or you goofed and misread the question.

Unless you overshared and told them too much info, or your history has been reported to NICS they would have no way of knowing your mental health history as stated. (e.g. you were involuntarily committed to a mental institution years ago and that was reported)

It is also possible you are confused with someone else with the same name who is a prohibited person. That has happened before.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    I get delayed half of the time... I just tell my local shop to call me when he finds out or my three days is up. Every time I walk in to buy he beats me to it, want me to call you... yup that’s fine.!!

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    My ex girlfriend went through this when she got her LTCH 10 years ago. She gave out too much info on her application.

She ended up having to get a letter from her therapist saying she was okay to carry a firearm. It was like pulling teeth, but she got it done, and I must say, I was surprised.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    This happened to my BIL a few years ago applying for a LTCH. I think he did use the word 'denied' when he told me about it. He would like to get a rifle, so I might suggest he try to buy one at a dealer and see how that goes. Thanks for that idea Jeepster!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    When I was getting my second 4 year license, I got denied. I called the State Police and asked what was meant by the reason "POSP". He said it was Possession of Stolen Property. When I was a youngster, I got arrested when we were taking a friend of mine's snowmobile from his northern cottage to Flint. Long story short, I was a victim of circumstance and was told that my arrest record would disappear. Obviously it didn't. The trooper said to mark the application arrested for POSP, not convicted.

When that license expired, I applied for the lifetime. It went through without a question.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've got a buddy that was rejected and he had to get a letter from his psychiatrist stating he wasn't a danger to society or himself.
    After he turned that in he was approved for his LTCH.
    That might be a path to be pursued. Just thinking out loud.

Top Bottom