Low pressure rounds for Ishapore/Enfields?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    I was reading this article: https://www.ssusa.org/content/feeding-the-ishy-low-pressure-7-62-mm-nato-for-india-s-enfield/

and thought it was odd. I've shot hundreds if not thousands of rounds through those rifles with everything from spicy 308 hunting rounds to standard issue NATO rounds. Neither one has ever hiccuped. Anyone ever experienced issues with the bolt being hard to cycle? I'm not disputing what the author wrote, just odd it's never been an issue I've witnessed.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I have owned 4 or 5 of these rifles over the years, and still have one. I have never experienced an issue with all the ammo you mention as well as the German plastic rounds.

Never had a failure to extract or eject. What this guy wrote is news to me. Maybe he just doesn't want anyone else shooting against him with the same gun...

Ross Rifle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Columbia City
    I think the common perception is that the rear-locked Lee action is less strong than, for example, a Mauser action, and the concept of the low pressure ammo is to prolong it's lifespan. Over time the receiver rails will stretch, and locking lugs will rebate. That being said, I don't think it's particularly relevant, as the number of rounds fired to actually achieve dangerous headspace is very high, even with higher pressure .308 ammunition. The author also states that the Lee action has one locking lug, which is patently false. They have two symmetrical locking lugs, and provide comparable surface contact to other rifles of the period.

Last edited:

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Everything I've read about the Ishapores, is that the guns were made with really good ordinance steel, purpose built for the 7.62x 51... Mauser guys alway poo poo the Enfield action, but it sure has stood the test of time, and a few wars..... I'd love to have another (I've owned 2), but the whole right hand action thing....the last one I owned was a sporterized 2a1 I called "Thumper" barrel had been chopped, had an after market muzzle break, and was loud as hades.....Kick myself for selling it.....Love them!

Reactions: RCB

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    the last one I owned was a sporterized 2a1 I called "Thumper" barrel had been chopped, had an after market muzzle break, and was loud as hades

Yes, I was reading this thinking to myself, so what is your point? lol.

kalashnikovfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    Henry County
    I love mine haven't shot it in a good while.... always have shot 7.62x51 through it though. I was told commercial 308 was to hot for it so I never bothered to try. IMG_20230325_200315376.jpg

Reactions: RCB

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    Who does conversions? I'd love to get a 45-70 lee/ishapore.
    Most people use the 303 Enfields, because the 303 is a rimmed cartridge as well. Plus the lower pressures work ok with the Enfields for the most part. I know the 444, a new barrel was the main component. The 45-70 is a slightly larger diameter and may require some bolt work in addition to the barrel. Obviously you have to set the headspace, likely fiddle with the magazine some, but I know of others who have done similar conversions.

Top Bottom