• ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Group assignment...

The first home grown project is to come up with ideas to make a low cost water filter. It should be designed to clean water from ponds, streams or rivers that we would encounter in Indiana. This will be your main survival water filter for your family and it should produce 5 gallons of water per day, everyday.

Please understand this filtered water will still be boiled for cooking, or drinking.

Come up with ideas from local store bought materials or items around the house that can accomplish this task.

We also need to know what consumables would be needed to keep the filter in operation for long term.

Drawings, pictures, material lists and links are all good for this thread.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Material list:

2' of clear aquarium air tubing.
    "micro-bubble" ceramic aquarium air stone.
    large plastic syringe (to get siphon action of the line started).

Cost: about 3 bucks total.

A couple of points to note;

1.) this is not an end-all-be-all filter system, I use it more of a pre-filter to help extend the life of more expensive water filters by removing some of the "non-microscopic particles" from the water.

2.) do not use plastic or crushed glass aquarium bubblers, use only the "micro-bubble" ceramic ones as the ceramic pore sizes are a lot smaller in diameter & will catch/filter more of the junk from the water.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    As Sailor said, hypochlorite and a sand filter. If you really want to get fancy, make charcoal and add it to the sand filter.

Very cheap, very easy, if both are utilized, no further treatment will be needed for particulate and biological purification. It will not removed dissolved contaminates.

You can build a sand filter with nothing more than a sheet of plastic.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Solar still's are quick & easy to build too, one of my previously posted to the internet projects I used the bed of my pickup truck (black bed liner), a large clear plastic sheet, a rock & a 5 gallon bucket to make a decent sized, portable one.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    OK, School me on the Charcoal. Is Activated Charcoal required or can I use just plain old cheap charcoal ? :dunno:

You can't use charcoal briquettes, but you can make activated charcoal yourself pretty readily. There's several DIY places on the net (and a large number of them are cannabis growing fora, so beware ;))

The harder the wood the better and if the chemical activation route is used the potassium hydroxide is readily available in wood ash.

Colt.45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Hey does any of you know where to get a good set of water purification tables, WP straws, WP filters , WP pump or anything like that? I'd prefer it not to be online but a place where I can walk in and pay with cash. Thanks!!

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Would the Brita filters do a good enough job on filtering pond or creek water? You would still need to boil it as well, right? If you used Calcium Hypochlorite in addition to filtering the water, would you still need to boil it?

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Would the Brita filters do a good enough job on filtering pond or creek water? You would still need to boil it as well, right? If you used Calcium Hypochlorite in addition to filtering the water, would you still need to boil it?

Yes, but they would not last long from clogging and can't be cleaned......I

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Good posts, but still thinking home grown systems.

What happens if the family dog runs off and chews up you sawyer water filter? Or your place burns down and your very cool water system is destroyed in the fire.

navarre1095

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Meth Vernon
    I like the way that you are approaching this. Mostly you get the "I have the megapure 5000. Any else is a waste of money." Or, "all I have to do is boil the water for X minutes."

Bio sand filters are the shizznit. What's great about them is the bio film that forms on the sand EATS the critters in the water. Yes, they will freeze and no they don't have any charcoal. You don't necessarily need charcoal to get DRINKABLE water. the rest of the world gets by on far "dirtier" water than we are used to.
    Typical slow sand filter performance.

Turbidity <1.0 NTU
    Coliforms 1-3 log units
    Enteric Viruses 2-4 log units
    Giardia Cysts 2-4+log units
    Cryptosporidium Oocysts >4 log units
    Dissolved Organic Carbon <15-25%
    Biodegradable
    Dissolved Organic Carbon <50%
    Trihalomethane Precursors <20-30%
    Heavy Metals
    Zn, Cu, Cd, Pb >95-99%
    Fe, Mn >67%
    As <47%

Source
    http://www.nesc.wvu.edu/pdf/dw/publications/ontap/2009_tb/slow_sand_filtration_DWFSOM40.pdf

Last edited:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I treat water professionally

Care to elaborate?

BTW, the link in post #18 is broken.

ETA... also, how does the good bacteria grow in the sand filter and how long does it take to colonize and start making clean water?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom