Lots of folks carry a pistol but…do you train with it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I’ve been carrying a pistol for over 45 years. As my kids were being raised, we only had one income by design and I had little extra income to spend on practice or training.
    It’s life. As I got older, I saw the need to do more of both.
    A fellow Jarhead in Joplin Missouri was putting on some classes so, when I went to visit family, I scheduled a class. It was great. Force on force with Airsoft was a blast….without the bang! Haha
    I guess this post is meant to encourage others to spend some time training themselves. Lots of stuff on YouTube from good sources.
    Pistol-training.com has some excellent drills that can be downloaded, printed off and taken to the range.
    I’ve come to like the “Dot Torture Drill" as a go to drill to evaluate my ability to shoot a prospect for CCW.
    Anyway, I recently ran onto this article about spicing up the Dot Torture Drill. Maybe it’ll help encourage someone else to give it a try!

Attachments

• 889E21EE-FB3B-4078-BCDB-B5D82478A4DB.jpeg
      889E21EE-FB3B-4078-BCDB-B5D82478A4DB.jpeg
      441.3 KB · Views: 19

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Even without "learning something new", regular practice is necessary to remain competent.
    Near/far, multiple targets, reloads, malfunctions, strong/weak hand, from retention, behind cover...

It's a perishable skill, so don't let yours get stale. The bad guys are out there doing bad things every day.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I don't train as much as I'd like, but yes I do.

But unfortunately I'd say 95% of gun owners don't.

Punching holes in paper isn't training, but it's still a fun activity that I participate in frequently
    It can be “training" if done correctly. But, my post is meant to encourage folks to do more than they are. Thanks!

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Why wouldnt you?
    And I also carry mine LOADED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Lots of folks don’t know how or what to do. And, to be honest, I went to the range a lot over the course of 67 years and didn’t know either BUT, about 15 years ago, I started training. I shot competition, am a Marine and can shoot, marksmanship is excellent. Training is another thing and folks need encouragement and information on “How to”.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I don't train as much as I'd like, but yes I do.

But unfortunately I'd say 95% of gun owners don't.

Punching holes in paper isn't training, but it's still a fun activity that I participate in frequently
    Nothing wrong with punching paper other than it’s leave a mess to clean up. But place your targets strategically , practice shooting from cover and concealment,

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Yesterday at Indy Arms.
    $10 for an hour lunch special.
    Gen 3 G-26 Gen 3 hybrid shoots low for me, and the Gen 3 G-17 was OK.
    The Gen 3 G-22 was OK too.
    IMG_1213.jpeg IMG_1214.jpeg
    25 distance , 124 Blazer 9mm FMJ, and 175 gr Fiochi .40.
    I try and shoot whenever I can.
    Recoilgunworks has the 9mm Blazer at $11.49 for 50 115 gr ( limit 10 ), and $13.49 a box of 50 124 gr.
    Free shipping for qualified LE/MIL.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Yesterday at Indy Arms.
    $10 for an hour lunch special.
    Gen 3 G-26 Gen 3 hybrid shoots low for me, and the Gen 3 G-17 was OK.
    The Gen 3 G-22 was OK too.
    View attachment 266900 View attachment 266901
    25 distance , 124 Blazer 9mm FMJ, and 175 gr Fiochi .40.
    I try and shoot whenever I can.
    Recoilgunworks has the 9mm Blazer at $11.49 for 50 115 gr ( limit 10 ), and $13.49 a box of 50 124 gr.
    Free shipping for qualified LE/MIL.
    Need to tighten up the head shots but tore the sh-t out of the aorta! :shoot:

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Different pistols my friend, same distance, the G-17 was on the center and bottom of the same target.
    However, next up, when aiming at the head with the G-26, not so much.
    It’s the G-26 with Ameriglo Bolds shooting low.
    Aimed at the head with that one, as you can see the rounds were hitting the neck area.
    Glock-17/22 according to the two targets were hitting both about the same.
    Getting ready for summer carry with them.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Different pistols my friend, same distance, the G-17 was on the center and bottom of the same target.
    However, next up, when aiming at the head with the G-26, not so much.
    It’s the G-26 with Ameriglo Bolds shooting low.
    Aimed at the head with that one, as you can see the rounds were hitting the neck area.
    Glock-17/22 according to the two targets were hitting both about the same.
    Getting ready for summer carry with them.
    That was 25 yards?

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Beats me Indy Arms range lets you enter a distance on a screen to send your target down range with their system.
    You hit SEL on the screen, enter a #, ((I chose 25) and then hit ENTER I guess and away it go’s.
    To get the target back, you do the same steps, entering (0).
    I am sure we have some INDY ARMS members who know for sure.
    I like the M-F 10 am to 2 PM 1 hour $10 lunch special.
    I just started going there in Feb, after using Parabellum in Avon, that had the $8 for 30 minutes and one free target 12-2 M-F lunchtime special.
    Anyway just retired 1 March, so I would go as much as possible, but ammo prices and a range practice session is about $40 a pop.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Beats me Indy Arms range lets you enter a distance on a screen to send your target down range with their system.

Anyway just retired 1 March, so I would go as much as possible
    Probably feet. 25 yards indoors is a stretch. Never been there though so…just guessing.

Congrats on retiring! Been just over a year for me. I reload and hoarded a bit along the way, started casting too. I also joined a “restoration club” for $125/yr. I can go whenever I want and try to go when working folks can’t. I’m gone when they need the range. All good……I go in on climate weather too, same reason. ;)

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    I think it was the Feb USPSA march at Parabellum where my front sight decided it was taking a trip and departed my Beretta slide mid-stage. I decided to run my G48, which is my primary carry, in place of my Beretta. I scored fairly well for it being almost stock and making the change on short notice. I guess my dry fire routine paid off a bit, so yes, I train with what I carry. :)

Top Bottom