• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 00Buck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Near Martinsville
    Well after experiencing the new production form Kimber this one holds its own. I’m not say it’s an STI or other custom. But over the last 10 years Kimber, Ruger and Remington will have to step up their game if they are gonna compete with the SDS imports from Tisas in Turkey.

I picked one up last week for $299 at Fin Fur and Feather before tax and shipping because who sells an 1911 at $299 anymore. Advertised as the “Special Service”. Upon arrival I was very impressed with fit, finish, improved A1 sights and ring hammer. Came with hard carry case cleaning kit, two mags, and cerekote finish in an imitation Parkerized color and I think the color is spot on.

Advertised as having hammer forged slide, frame and barrel. Another bonus to me is it has series 70 internals.

This thing is tighter than the last Kimber pro TLE I purchased. The trigger is as better than my R1 and Kimber pro TLE. The machining is better than my Ruger 1911 with zero machine marks. I Don’t own a Springfield and don’t ever plan on it so I can’t compare.

320 rounds down the tube without a hiccup. It was priced so that I couldn’t pass it up without trying it. Ive only had it a week but I believe it to be best entry level 1911 I have ever owned for the money. Rock Island is not even close to the fit and finish of this 1911.

Attachments

• 56FBBBB7-F5C5-4AB3-B157-F43425DFDBD9.jpeg
      56FBBBB7-F5C5-4AB3-B157-F43425DFDBD9.jpeg
      999.3 KB · Views: 22
    Last edited:

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    Thanks for the input. I will definitely look into the Garrison. I want something that is quality but doesn’t exceed $1,000. I know that can be hard at times but it seems like there are so many options with this model and wanted to get a few opinions
    There are definitely quality options to be had under $1K, particularly in the $800 range.

Just a forewarning, some do have a break-in period. The Garrison didn’t which was one of the things that impressed me, but don’t get discouraged and sell at a loss if you have malfunctions in the first couple hundred rounds. I have a Kimber Aegis II in .45 that I bought off a guy for $350 under retail because he ran one box through it and decided it was defective. 500 rounds later, it runs like a charm. Had the same break-in experience with a Sig Scorpion Carry, but I bought that one new.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    DO NOT BUY A CHEAP 1911!!!!

That $400 1911 will likely be an unreliable jam-o-matic and you'll spend just as much at a gunsmith to get it running right. So just pony up the $800+ for a reliable one.

Unless you just want a range toy. Then get whatever.
    No matter what - if it's for carry - run ~500 rounds through it.

If it's a range gun - eh - have fun with it ;).

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    DO NOT BUY A CHEAP 1911!!!!

That $400 1911 will likely be an unreliable jam-o-matic and you'll spend just as much at a gunsmith to get it running right. So just pony up the $800+ for a reliable one.

Unless you just want a range toy. Then get whatever.

I've had my Tisas for a couple of years, and have about 3000 rounds through it. The only hiccup I had was with Black Talons, but I've never had a 1911 that would feed those reliably.

It's never failed with balls or HSTs.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Thanks for the input. I will definitely look into the Garrison. I want something that is quality but doesn’t exceed $1,000. I know that can be hard at times but it seems like there are so many options with this model and wanted to get a few opinions
    With a $1k budget you should be able to find a good 1911 without much issue. I personally wouldn't discount checking the secondary market either. If you were a week earlier in your search there was a DW Valor in the classifieds very close to your budget limit.
    I have never been lucky enough to find a economy 1911 that I was happy with due to it having issues or poor shootability and when I went to sell it I would lose money so I can't in good conscience suggest a Tisas, RIA, Taurus or the like. Springfield, Ruger, Colt, and dare I say even Kimber makes a affordable good 1911. Keep a eye out on sales and even in the classifieds and I would say you'll be able to find one you'll be happy with. :twocents:

Scott58

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    NW indiana
    I've got a star pd 30 in .45 good gun but no longer available. Last summer bought a RIA 5" in 9mm. Good gun. Basic surplus looking firearm. Shoots pretty well low recoil. Under $500. Got some fancy fake ivory and rosewood grips for it and made it pretty. I may pick up the .45 in the spring.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I'm happy with my Springfield Garrison. Plenty of good Springfield options for under $1K - Garrison, Ronin, Milspec, Range Officer. Loaded is just over $1K.
    when did the loaded get so expensive? mine was 790 new with box, holster, mag holder and 2 mags. I guess that was 9 years ago..... nevermind.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I have never been lucky enough to find a economy 1911 that I was happy with due to it having issues or poor shootability and when I went to sell it I would lose money so I can't in good conscience suggest a Tisas, RIA, Taurus or the like.
    What problems have you had with a Tisas 1911? I’m not really a 1911 guy, so mine is just for range fun only, but I like my Tisas 1911A1 GI model. No problems with it so far. Seems to be very well made, especially for what I paid.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    when did the loaded get so expensive? mine was 790 new with box, holster, mag holder and 2 mags. I guess that was 9 years ago..... nevermind.
    I can't remember what I paid for my Range Officer many years ago. I'd guess it was around $730 back then. I had a couple Loaded models; traded one and sold one before I bought the RO so I'm thinking they were all close to the same price back then.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Welcome to the 1911 addiction. Be prepared to own more than one and enjoy the “high” of owning and shooting the greatest handgun ever designed by the “Godfather” of firearms design John Moses Browning!

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

ROCK ISLAND ARMORY M1911 PRO MATCH ULTRA HC 10MM 6-INCH 16RDS ADJUSTABLE SIGHTS

$999

1674660102036.png

10mm for about anything you want to kill in North America.

Christow19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2017
    Greencastle
    Looking through classifieds I just found a recently posted Taurus PT1911 for sale in Caramel for $550 used. This seems to me like new price but I’m unsure and don’t know anything about the Taurus. Any thoughts?

The idea is almost void however because I have not met the requirements needed to contact the seller through the classifieds

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Looking through classifieds I just found a recently posted Taurus PT1911 for sale in Caramel for $550 used. This seems to me like new price but I’m unsure and don’t know anything about the Taurus. Any thoughts?

The idea is almost void however because I have not met the requirements needed to contact the seller through the classifieds

In another 6 years you will be able to at this rate!

Taurus 1911's are actually pretty solid from what I have experienced.

If you have the $$$ get whatever you like, with 1911's features are easy to buy ready to go on the pistol but take work to change after. Besides grip panels anyways.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    What problems have you had with a Tisas 1911? I’m not really a 1911 guy, so mine is just for range fun only, but I like my Tisas 1911A1 GI model. No problems with it so far. Seems to be very well made, especially for what I paid.
    I had a RIA that had a very loose slide/frame fitment and was anything but accurate. I had a Taurus with the same issues along with what felt like a 10lb trigger. I havnt had a Tisas but put them in the same economical category and can't in good conscience recommend any of them. If it's worth having atleast get one that will make you happy, buy once cry once. Don't settle for something that just works, there's more to it than that IMnsHO. If it works for you, great. That just doesn't work for me.

Glad you're happy with yours.

Top Bottom