• ...and so much more!
  • Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Here is what I found in your price range.

$860

View attachment 250423
    One of my favorites.
    With a $1k budget you should be able to find a good 1911 without much issue. I personally wouldn't discount checking the secondary market either. If you were a week earlier in your search there was a DW Valor in the classifieds very close to your budget limit.
    I have never been lucky enough to find a economy 1911 that I was happy with due to it having issues or poor shootability and when I went to sell it I would lose money so I can't in good conscience suggest a Tisas, RIA, Taurus or the like. Springfield, Ruger, Colt, and dare I say even Kimber makes a affordable good 1911. Keep a eye out on sales and even in the classifieds and I would say you'll be able to find one you'll be happy with. :twocents:
    2nd worse 1911 I own, not accurate at all.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    His second greatest invention. His greatest is the Hi Power :-)
    I love them both! I’ve also got a Belgian made Hi Power and love it. The only asterisk to the Hi Power as his greatest design is the fact that the design was finished after JMB passed away. Yes, I know, the history of the design of the Hi Power, so technically, technically, JMB got a “little” help after he passed. Notwithstanding, the Hi Power does stand side by side with the 1911 as two of the greatest handguns ever designed! Peace!

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Thanks to a member here, the best 1911 I have is a S&W pro series 45. It always lands where you point it and easy to aim. I have never shot a more accurate modern hand gun. (My P210 is old.) Admittedly I still carry my gen2 23. And yesterday the Tupperware box for it was found in the top of a closet. :woot:

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    Welcome to the Semi-Auto World, the way John M Browning intended!
    Personally, the only "Budget restricted" 1911 I own is a RIA & it has Functioned perfectly, so far.
    Enjoy

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    I had a RIA that had a very loose slide/frame fitment and was anything but accurate. I had a Taurus with the same issues along with what felt like a 10lb trigger. I havnt had a Tisas but put them in the same economical category and can't in good conscience recommend any of them. If it's worth having atleast get one that will make you happy, buy once cry once. Don't settle for something that just works, there's more to it than that IMnsHO. If it works for you, great. That just doesn't work for me.

Glad you're happy with yours.
    You are just too picky. :stickpoke: I know how much you have invested in your 1911’s.:cool:

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Thanks to a member here, the best 1911 I have is a S&W pro series 45. It always lands where you point it and easy to aim. I have never shot a more accurate modern hand gun. (My P210 is old.) Admittedly I still carry my gen2 23. And yesterday the Tupperware box for it was found in the top of a closet. :woot:
    I can hit steel at 47yds with my 3" ATI Titan. Yes, it feels more like artillery than a firearm the way you lob it in there and I'm sure by the time it hits it's moving at just over a walking pace BUT I can get it there.

Combat Engineer

One of the three percent.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2022
    Mauckport In.

ROCK ISLAND ARMORY M1911 PRO MATCH ULTRA HC 10MM 6-INCH 16RDS ADJUSTABLE SIGHTS

$999

View attachment 250475

10mm for about anything you want to kill in North America.
    I've got two of these.Hands down the most accurate automatic I've ever had the pleasure of shooting.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've owned a lot of 1911's over the years and still own 5 or so. I've owned custom pistols and still own a couple. I've also owned a few very basic ones. I like big sights and adjustable. I like pristine accuracy at distances of at least 25 yards. I like a good trigger (crisp breaking 4-5 lbs.) and it must be reliable with a variety of ammo, as I reload. I like .45 ACP caliber in a 1911. Except for the trigger, the Springfield Armory Range Officer, meets those criteria. Although, discontinued, you can still find them around for $700 + or - depending on condition. There are a plethora of 1911's available with prices all over the map. It all depends on what features you want and how much you want to spend. Sometimes the magazine(s) that come with a 1911 aren't top quality and won't function with a variety of ammo. Even if you buy a $300 import, you probably want to invest in quality magazines, from folks like Wilson Combat or others.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    2nd worse 1911 I own, not accurate at all.
    I don't have a DW personally but I do have a few friends who do and I havn't heard so much as a peep of unhappiness with their DWs accuracy or reliability. Possibly yours made on Monday morning or Friday afternoon or even possibly it was operator error :dunno:
    I was using it as a example and know any DW offering is far above any turkish offering on the market.

I will agree with ChrisK, I am a picky f'er. I'm not a rich man and I make sure I get my moneys worth whenever I spend it.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have a DW and it is a good pistol (10mm commander size), but I have noticed an uptick in complaints about DWs on the 1911 forum.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The risk of going low end on a first 1911 is that of getting a lemon. A lot of low end manufacturers push the cost down by broadening tolerances and limiting QA. They back this with a very strong warranty.

Things have improved a lot in the last 10 years but the risk of a lemon remains higher with budget 1911s than with higher end manufacturers. If a first 1911 is a lemon, no matter who it is made by, it can sour a person on the platform. That, IMHO, is where we see a lot of 1911 hate and negative myths coming from.

Stepping up from bottom tier 1911s for the first one might make a better introduction to the platform.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    61   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    My nephews ran without any problems right out of the box with the cheap magazines they sent with it. At first I was going to bring down my Wilson Combat 1911 magazines, but my nephew wanted to see how it preformed with what they sent, and I don't blame him for that.
    It ran just fine using Winchester white box 230gr fmj, and my 230gr Hardcast RN coated bullets which ran an avg 918fps. The Winchester 230gr avg was 810fps.
    Ran 200 Winchester white box and 100 if my reloads. It ran fine.
    Like DadSmith says here the tisas has been trouble free for me has over 1500 rounds thru it and it is under a year old, for the price it can't be beat. I also have springfields,colts,s&w,remingtons and les baers. most of my issues have been with the springfield RO's in 9mm. good luck on your choice they are a slightly different animal but proven design!!!!!

Top Bottom