• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • =Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    I'm new to these forums and I don't own a firearm. I am also in the process of obtaining my LTCH for personal protection. I live on the West side of Indy (near Clermont) and I'm looking to get some basic handgun safety training.

I own a computer repair business and would be interested in offering my services in exchange for training. I have several small business clients that I have this type of relationship with--we offer each others services in exchange for the other and only charge one another for out-of-pocket expenses like parts. Is there anyone here who would be interested in bartering with me? I would prefer something near my side of town (Clermont, Brownsburg, Avon, Eagle Creek, etc.) if possible.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I don't know who might be interested in bartering. If you don't yet own a gun I would point you to an NBA Basic Pistol class. Some NRA instructors will bring several guns that you can use during the class and try out. You might also bump Coach and ask about his gun handling 101 or his private sessions. Also ACT has a similar basic class. I don't know if either of them routinely bring guns for students, but I bet they would help you out if you made arrangements up front. You can search for them on the forum.

If money is an issue and you can't find anyone to barter with, I live in Avon and could run you through most of what you'd see in a basic pistol class. I am not an instructor but have taken a fair bit of training.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Here is another bump for coach. He is in your neighborhood and does quite a bit at Parabellum in Avon. Parabellum is offering courses as well; they might be with coach.

Also keep an eye out for one of Guy's law classes. Worth every penny.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Sounds a lot like intro to handgun... function, aiming, shooting, etc...
    As Jackson mentioned, a basic nra class would get you what you're looking for. As would a meet and greet or group meet with INGO members.

I'd opt for finding a responsible friend with a .22 pistol and learning the basics. I've done this with a few 'never shot guns before' types. Once (if you decide it's for you) then you can looking into getting a firearm, and pursue training further.

Coach is also great. My guess is he could accommodate you with a loaned gun.

=Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    Thank you all for the tips and offers. I may just take you up on it. I don't think there's such a thing as too much training, right? Plus, who doesn't like making new friends?!

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thank you all for the tips and offers. I may just take you up on it. I don't think there's such a thing as too much training, right? Plus, who doesn't like making new friends?!

You'll have to get to work if you are gonna catch up with Jackson. He does more classes a year than most do their whole lives. I agree with him on Coach, I'd look him up first.

Your plan to make training an ongoing process rather than a one time thing is very solid.
    Yes, you'll make a lot of friends. Most of my modern day friends, I've met in classes or other INGO stuff.

Last edited:

=Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    You'll have to get to work if you are gonna catch up with Jackson. He does more classes a year than most do their whole lives. I agree with him on Coach, I'd look him up first.
    Will do. I don't think I can message anyone until I get my 50 posts, but I will soon.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I'm new to these forums and I don't own a firearm. I am also in the process of obtaining my LTCH for personal protection. I live on the West side of Indy (near Clermont) and I'm looking to get some basic handgun safety training.

I own a computer repair business and would be interested in offering my services in exchange for training. I have several small business clients that I have this type of relationship with--we offer each others services in exchange for the other and only charge one another for out-of-pocket expenses like parts. Is there anyone here who would be interested in bartering with me? I would prefer something near my side of town (Clermont, Brownsburg, Avon, Eagle Creek, etc.) if possible.

I have handguns, I will let you shoot ..... let me know .....

=Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    I have handguns, I will let you shoot ..... let me know .....
    Thanks for the offer. After I hit my 50 posts, maybe we can work out the details.

My brother is a former Marine and he and I have talked about taking our wives on a double date to do some shooting. Could be fun!

Turf Doctor

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Brownsburg

At this time I did not have anything to barter, but did have Josh to tune up a lap top computer. Turn around time was quick and easy as Josh has pick up and delivery. At least give a fellow INGO Member an opportunity to help with your computer issues. :twocents:

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    I applaud you for asking questions and getting training first. You'll be a lot happier with your gun purchases due to this approach.

We have a lot of great training options in Indy, some of which have already been mentioned. It's also acceptable to start with a friend (or take up Jackson's offer) to get some basics in gun safety before or after the first training class.

If your wife is interested, we have a woman's shooting group that meets on the west side the second Sunday of every month: Well-Armed Woman group, Indy Eagle Creek. We have informational meetings and then shoot on the range. Eagle Creek is closed for a couple of months, but we'll still have some type of meeting or shooting event somewhere in January.

Last edited:

=Josh=

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    West side of Indy
    Thanks for the kind words, Doc. If anyone else is in need of some computer help, just let me know. I offer free pick-up and delivery anywhere in the greater Indianapolis area--Westfield to Whiteland, Danville to Greenfield and everywhere between.

I appreciate the tips and advice from everyone as well. I'm sure I'll bet getting in touch with Coach at some point. Thanks!

wildcatfan.62

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    I had the opportunity to spend an hour with Coach on some basic pistol drills. He did a day in Warsaw. I wish he was closer it was one the best hours of training I've taken. If you get the chance he's great to work with -easy instructions wanted to know what I wanted to learn/work on during the time. I still work on the drills we ran that day.
    Good luck, and great idea about getting training.

Markus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Josh - The NRA Basic Pistol course is getting ready to change to a blended format. Might make things really much easier for you. Especially if you are comfortable with a computer which I am guessing that you are. LOL

Top Bottom