• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    The end of the firing pin broke but I have both pieces. It goes to a modern, falling block single shot handgun. Need a new one built, and hardened. Suggestions are appreciated.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Pictures? Generally an easy job ....I have a lathe & 30 plus years as a tool maker....
    Can I hight jack just long enough to ask you a question?

How har would it be to mill(?) A metal version of a dish soap nozzle?
    istockphoto-172857643-612x612.jpg
    Like the red and white bit on this bottle?

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Can I hight jack just long enough to ask you a question?

How har would it be to mill(?) A metal version of a dish soap nozzle?
    View attachment 272779
    Like the red and white bit on this bottle?
    A) some one needs to draw up the parts using a 3D C.A.D. (computer aided drafting) ..... a 3D solid model
    B) using edgeworks or MASTERCAM, post process the model, that is a fancy term for define tools & tool path the parts. This will tell the Cnc machine where to move to to create the part.
    C) load the program up in a VMC (with a 4th axis) ....vertical machine center with a rotary head.....I.E the 4th axis.....

Mount the work piece, set the tools, press cycle start......

This will be very expensive......

If you can a 3d file on a site for 3D printing (like thingaverse) .....you can grab it for free, send it off to someone with a powder metal 3D printer type machine.

What is the purpose of this....a little more information and I can possibly better help

Last edited:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    When I make/fix firing pins, if they are complicated in nature, I've milled the face flush, drilled appropriate size hole, and press fit a hardened roll pin. Round it off on the grinder, then polish.

Agree? Disagree?
    I only disagree if it's a rimfire.

Otherwise, as long as you are satisfied with the alloy and condition of the pin used, then it seems like a good fix.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    For those following, this particular handgun is centerfire. Wonderfully accurate but no longer made, so some parts can be scarce. The guy who bought the company didn't follow through with things, and I didn't have the foresight to buy parts until it was too late.

Lpherr

Occupied
    A) some one needs to draw up the parts using a 3D C.A.D. (computer aided drafting) ..... a 3D solid model
    B) using edgeworks or MASTERCAM, post process the model, that is a fancy term for define tools & tool path the parts. This will tell the Cnc machine where to move to to create the part.
    C) load the program up in a VMC (with a 4th axis) ....vertical machine center with a rotary head.....I.E the 4th axis.....

If you can a 3d file on a site for 3D printing (like thingaverse) .....you can grab it for free, send it off to someone with a powder metal 3D printer type machine.

What is the purpose of this....a little more information and I can possibly better help
    CAD is where the cost will be.

I would be interested in the end use as well. There may already be an alternative available.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy

All very useful info thank you. I don't want to give up too much detail on it since it's a little project of mine that may one day lead to a patent and product to bring to market.
    So please forgive my paranoia. :D

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    When I make/fix firing pins, if they are complicated in nature, I've milled the face flush, drilled appropriate size hole, and press fit a hardened roll pin. Round it off on the grinder, then polish.

Agree? Disagree?
    For most center fire applications, generally I use drill rod (oil hardening) and simply hardening the ends or use a ½ hard steal like 4140 half hard or shoulder bolts.....and don't bother to harden

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    All very useful info thank you. I don't want to give up too much detail on it since it's a little project of mine that may one day lead to a patent and product to bring to market.
    So please forgive my paranoia. :D
    You need to get a non disclosure non complete from all parties so you can discuss your application or your project may not come out........

Top Bottom