• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zimm1001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    I just bought a Bersa Thunder .380 which will eventually be the gun my fiance carries. It fit her hand well and is small enough to fit in her purse. I have a larger hand and it fits me well too. Fun to shoot as well.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I still think the key is how does the gun feel to her. If the gun "feels right", then she'll be apt to shoot it more, and become proficient with it. It would not be realistic to think that one would train with a firearm that wasn't comfortable. With training, and practice, one can learn to shoot any caliber.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Let her shoot a bunch and see what she likes. I thought the wife would like my old USP since it was just a 9mm, and was ambi-friendly (she's a south paw) more than my 1911 or Glock 20/21. She liked the 1911 the most out of that bunch. Go figure. Then she got a hold of a Five-seven, and was absolutely smitten with that thing.

Going to the range and trying new guns actually turns out to be a fun date event for us too.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    My wife's Valentine Day present were flowers, box of chocolates and a boxed Ruger LCP. She has put almost 350 rounds through it (made her work with it and get used to racking, switching mags, emptying, insuring it was empty, etc.). She is very comfortable in keeping it with her now and can swiftly bring it up to target and keep 2.5"-3" groups on targets 5 to 7 yards out. She likes the action and trigger on her mousegun and also likes the view port to check if it's ready to go.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Hobart
    Charter Arms has the nice "feminine" colors to choose from. The lavender lady is most choices, and now the "Cougar" series. You have plenty of grips to choose from, small, wide, large, etc. Hogue doesn't make a stippled rubber grip for them yet, but Pachmyr does, and it's way way to big and long for the firearm...

Lastshot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    United States of Merica
    I think that the revolver is one of the BEST choices in PD. they are relaible and simple to operate. My wife says she does not want something that she has to fiddle with to get to operate. AND they leave no spent casings. :popcorn:

Sig Man

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    As I was saying before I hit a wrong key, my wife is a firearm instructor, she teaches women that to carry a gun for personal protection is just that....they should carry the gun on them, not in a purse. If the purse is taken then so is the gun.

Angie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Owen county
    I just bought a Bersa Thunder .380 which will eventually be the gun my fiance carries. It fit her hand well and is small enough to fit in her purse. I have a larger hand and it fits me well too. Fun to shoot as well.

This was my first gun. I still like to target shoot with it. I dont carry a purse so I had to holster it on me.

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    I carry Glock 26 or 19. It is what I shoot best with.

Glocks are also simple for my simple brain. NO dingles to toggle or flip or figure out... just shoot. In the heat of the moment, I would NOT be able to figure out where the safety is, and if it is on or off, or whether my gun is cocked or not. Just pull the trigger. Glocks have 3 internal safeties that will make sure it does not fire unless the trigger is actually pulled.

Only your wife can decide what handgun she should get... trying them all out is the fun part!

If she selects Glock in the end, I highly suggest she take a personal Glock Armorer's course to become intimately familiar with it. That course took me from being afraid of handguns, to understanding "hows & whys" and now I am its master. I, too, had problems racking the slide initially.:)

glock2010

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    In The Backwoods
    ive been trying to talk my wife into getting a hangun to carry but she says she is scared of them so i got her mace and now she is scared of it, not sure how to break her of being scared of them. lol

musclecarr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Owen County
    For a novice shooter, I'd stay away from automatics, especially the ppk's (pinches the hand if not held right).Unless your dead set on a Glock, without a safety too flip off, revolvers are the way to go, no safety to confuse the wifey with, just point and shoot. Check out the NEW .327 magnum Ruger has!

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin
    ive been trying to talk my wife into getting a hangun to carry but she says she is scared of them so i got her mace and now she is scared of it, not sure how to break her of being scared of them. lol
    Try a one-afternoon Armorer's course. Worked for me!

For a novice shooter, I'd stay away from automatics, especially the ppk's (pinches the hand if not held right).Unless your dead set on a Glock, without a safety too flip off, revolvers are the way to go, no safety to confuse the wifey with, just point and shoot. Check out the NEW .327 magnum Ruger has!
    Absolutely agree with the ppk's and others that "bite". That SUCKS.

Good point on revolvers, but the trigger pulls can be quite hard if it has to also pull the hammer back. I'm not sure if that is adjustable, but Glocks can have triggers easily changed out to be an easy pull & therefore better "trigger control".

(I took a multi-day handgun course & couldn't figure out why I couldn't hit the target like I know that I could with any other weapon. After flunking the first day the instructor took my Glock, and tried it himself [I think he thought the sights might have been way off], he informed me I had a 15-pound ?NewYork trigger pull... swapped it out & haven't looked back yet!)
    :patriot:

LRHostetler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I help teach a firearms safety course at H&H Firearms in Fort Wayne. After the classroom portion of the course, we go over to range where the students get some hands-on experience firing a few different handguns.

They include: Ruger SP101 .357 Mag, Taurus snub-nose .38 Spl (sorry, I can’t remember the model, but it’s a steel frame), and Glock 19.

I would say 9 out of 10 women that take the class report liking the snub-nose .38 the best. Most of the women shooters we have say that they don’t care for the snappier recoil of the Glock.

Now granted, we shoot a very small sampling of the handguns on the market and obviously everyone’s opinions and comfort levels are different, but this is what most of our shooters’ initial reactions are.

Like most of the other posts have recommended, I too would say let anyone new to the firearms community test fire as many guns as possible before buying. Also, when making your first purchase, consider how hard you are willing to train and the less time you are willing to spend the further you should lean towards the simplicity and reliability of a revolver.

This obviously goes for anyone looking to purchase a self-defense handgun, not just women. We have as many men come through our classes that have never fired a handgun as we do women.

mpholic

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    I will preface this post with the fact that my wife does not enjoy shooting and sees it as unpleasant but necessary. That makes the process of finding her a handgun difficult at best.

My wife doesn't care for any sort of semi automatic. Once I began to explain to her how to insert the magazine, how to rack the slide, etc. she says "way to complicated". So, revolver is the way to go. The airweights have way too much recoil with self defense loads. I buy a SP101 for her, "this gun is too heavy". I just bought her a LCR and she really likes how it feels in her hand. Hopefully when she shoots it this weekend the search will be over. I am not fooling myself though into believing she will ever enjoy shooting alongside me.

Rizzo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Kahr PM9

Women & Guns

73f4gz.jpg

Top Bottom