• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MRE Milkshake

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2022
    Indianapolis

I checked out this barrel and am interested in buying it, I did a little research and the company is reputable and I don't see anything that could be wrong with the barrel. Anybody have any second opinions on its quality and/or experiences with barrels from this company?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    You can never count on premium quality when spending discount price. That said I have seen lower range, like Shaw barrels that shoot pretty well, but I have also seen them be marginal. None of them stacked up to something like a Douglas Ultra Match barrel.

You have to define your use. A reliable barrel that shoots combat rifle groups may be acceptable. If you are wanting premium accuracy, cheaper than dirt is not your vendor

jdeanp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2022
    Southern IN
    Found this with just a quick search. I haven't kept up with barrel reviews much lately, but BA stuff usually gets favorable reports. This one doesn't have the FSB, but those are easy enough to install.

$105.95

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    IMO everyone gets hung up on “quality” of barrels.

Are you shooting long range? Are you planning on running 10k rounds through your AR? Are you planning to run full auto or mag dump all the time?

If your gonna shoot close range,run 500 rounds through it one at a time slowly and then let it sit and gather dust………

Barrel “quality” perceptions in AR’s are also heavily influenced by accuracy which in dependent on how you install it. You could have the best barrel in the world but if you don’t lap the face when you install and you under or over torque it you may just as well have bought a bear armory built upper.

(Disclaimer: I own a bear creek armory 350 upper, runs good and is definitely accurate enough for an indiana deer rifle)

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    IMO everyone gets hung up on “quality” of barrels.

Are you shooting long range? Are you planning on running 10k rounds through your AR? Are you planning to run full auto or mag dump all the time?

If your gonna shoot close range,run 500 rounds through it one at a time slowly and then let it sit and gather dust………

Barrel “quality” perceptions in AR’s are also heavily influenced by accuracy which in dependent on how you install it. You could have the best barrel in the world but if you don’t lap the face when you install and you under or over torque it you may just as well have bought a bear armory built upper.

(Disclaimer: I own a bear creek armory 350 upper, runs good and is definitely accurate enough for an indiana deer rifle)
    +1 on the BCA uppers.

I have a 10.5" 7.62X39 upper from BCA that I use with a brace on public land for deer (it is legal because it is a "pistol") and it will hit Lifesavers all day at 50yd with cheap steel cased crap. Sub MOA with quality hunting rounds.

I also agree some people get so hung up on putting the most expensive stuff into their AR's. If that is your thing then you do you but I cannot wrap my head around it.

If it is purpose built for long range and you do that a LOT I can see spending the extra for a few choice parts that will help but "most" people will not see the benefit of spending the extra $$

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My limited experience has been that cheap ammo vs quality ammo can make a noticeable difference on accuracy, at least out of my stock Palmetto pencil barrel.

Reactions: Leo

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    There are scores of "premium" AR-15 barrel makers out there.
    As stated above, with AR barrels, as a rule, "you get what you pay for."

There are exceptions of course, like the over-priced stuff CTD carries.

I have one AR barrel from these people,
    www.dezarms.com
    It's a nice barrel, and it shoots well for me.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Minute of person or match rifle.....you get what you pay for, the better question is, at this price point will this "widget " satisfy my goal?
    Chances are if this is a plinker/home defense gun....and using plain cheap 55 ammo, you will be very happy.....if this is going into your match rifle your not gonna be happy.
    In this day or non corrosive ammo, why bother with a chromed barrel?

Indiana_Jeff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2022
    South Bend
    +1 on the BCA uppers.

I have a 10.5" 7.62X39 upper from BCA that I use with a brace on public land for deer (it is legal because it is a "pistol") and it will hit Lifesavers all day at 50yd with cheap steel cased crap. Sub MOA with quality hunting rounds.

I also agree some people get so hung up on putting the most expensive stuff into their AR's. If that is your thing then you do you but I cannot wrap my head around it.

If it is purpose built for long range and you do that a LOT I can see spending the extra for a few choice parts that will help but "most" people will not see the benefit of spending the extra $$
    Thank you for your posting. It's high time most AR builders accept that the core design is for a combat rifle and is not inherently the foundation for a Match Rifle without major investment. For most plinking, hunting, and self defense uses, we all should follow a "Good enough is best." approach. There's little benefit to putting a $500+ barrel on a $300 AR for most users.

GregoryRomeu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2022
    Mishawaka
    Realize that if there were ANY issues wi

I checked out this barrel and am interested in buying it, I did a little research and the company is reputable and I don't see anything that could be wrong with the barrel. Anybody have any second opinions on its quality and/or experiences with barrels from this company?
    Realize that if there were ANY issues with gun parts manufactured in the U.S. THAT particular company would be shut down or bankrupted by lawsuits.

Also realize the U.S. Government buys it's barrels and parts through the cheapest vendor possible to supply the U.S. military. So do MANY home gun builders. (I'm one of them).

With having over 40 builds under my belt and years of gunsmithing, I have used barrels from all manufacturers that offer the best prices. I have built .350 Legends, 300 Blackouts, 7.62 x 39 AR's, 7.62 x 51's and of course 5.56's. ALL shoot very well. The 350's and 7.62 x 51's (.308's) will easily punch out to 800-1,000 meters, all others I have no problems with tight groupings and head shots at 100 - 200 yards.

Personally? I use Bear Creek Arsenal and Primary Arms for the majority of a slew of various manufacturers of barrels. Just follow the instructions, be safe and get out there and MAKE SOME NOISE!

GregoryRomeu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2022
    Mishawaka
    Minute of person or match rifle.....you get what you pay for, the better question is, at this price point will this "widget " satisfy my goal?
    Chances are if this is a plinker/home defense gun....and using plain cheap 55 ammo, you will be very happy.....if this is going into your match rifle your not gonna be happy.
    In this day or non corrosive ammo, why bother with a chromed barrel?
    Because they are just as inexpensive and VERY COMMON? https://www.primaryarms.com/expo-ar...me-lined-ar15-barrel-gov-profile-midlength-16

GregoryRomeu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2022
    Mishawaka
    What do you call, "
    Thank you for your posting. It's high time most AR builders accept that the core design is for a combat rifle and is not inherently the foundation for a Match Rifle without major investment. For most plinking, hunting, and self defense uses, we all should follow a "Good enough is best." approach. There's little benefit to putting a $500+ barrel on a $300 AR for most users.
    NOTE: The upper photo is through a rifle scope. The bottom photo is through iron sights. Just WHAT are you calling, "MATCH"?

USMC 500 YARDS.jpg

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have shot against the USMC, Army Marksmanship and other service members at the Nationals at Camp Perry. Even earned part of my Distinguished points there. Trust me, NONE of them are shooting random issue rifles out of the rack, or combat ammo. But they are Service rifles. VERY perfected service rifles. The Military team armorers are not pulling barrels out of a bin either. No scopes in my day.

Any shooter on a military team is Excellent, the best of the best. They are highly disciplined and well trained by the best of the best coaches. Of course they are not trying to raise a wife and kids, build their own rifle and load their own ammo for the weekend either. Shooting rifle matches is their life.

BTW, one of the two 1000 yard National Matches at Camp Perry allows an "any sight" option. I bought a good scope, the tapered base, and got it set for 1000 yards with 175 grain Sierra MatchKing bullets on my Palma rifle. I scored exactly the same Master Class score as with my iron sights. I never used a scope at Camp Perry after that. At 1K reading the wind is everything, if it was not for the wind, any fresh sharpshooter class competitor could lay on the mat and beat up the ten ring at 1K.

Last edited:

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I have barrels from Classic Arms, BCA, AR Stoner, KAK Industries, Anderson & Ballistic Advantage in my builds. The Ballistic Advantage barrels are the best fitting and most consistent of the lot. Accuracy is great out of all of them, with no real edge to any of them. If I was to recommend any manufacturer of my barrel selection, it would be Ballistic Advantage.
    I have always been amazed at how much people will spend on a build. Tailor your build to your needs and budget and don't get sucked into the mind set of if it costs more it has to be better quality.

GregoryRomeu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2022
    Mishawaka
    I have shot against the USMC, Army Marksmanship and other service members at the Nationals at Camp Perry. Even earned part of my Distinguished points there. Trust me, NONE of them are shooting random issue rifles out of the rack, or combat ammo. But they are Service rifles. VERY perfected service rifles. The Military team armorers are not pulling barrels out of a bin either. No scopes in my day.

Any shooter on a military team is Excellent, the best of the best. They are highly disciplined and well trained by the best of the best coaches.
    When nobody is shooting back at them. And you're not shooting MATCH with iron sights.

Last edited:

GregoryRomeu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2022
    Mishawaka
    Only when nobody is shooting back at them.
    I also worked at Camp Perry. Ask the Big Dog in the Tower or those that are running the NRA Range Safety Officers about who I am. I was the ONLY Range Safety Officer in CMP history to become a Block Officer within 3 days, not the typical 2 years waiting period and good graces to get that position.

Attachments

• Block Officer 1.jpg
      Block Officer 1.jpg
      178.2 KB · Views: 5
    • Line Officer - Camp Perry 2013-1.jpg
      Line Officer - Camp Perry 2013-1.jpg
      147.7 KB · Views: 5
    Reactions: Leo
    Top Bottom