Looking for a high quality 22LR w/threaded barrel.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    No, not really. It's more like buying a car because it has 4 wheels. Most, newer rimfires come pre-threaded. It's pretty much ubiquitous to the point where one is just being obstinate to buy a non-threaded rifle and have it threaded.
    Plus with a factory threaded barrel you're covered if there are any issues with the threading, not to mention some companies refuse to honor their warranty if the gun has been modified.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I did end up picking up a 22 LR with a threaded barrel ;).
    Haven’t made it to the range yet and been busy busy with work. Such is life!

:postpics:

O5QFyP2.gif

Titanium700

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2022
    Otisco
    Picking a rifle because the barrel is threaded, is like buying a car because it is red.

Find a rifle you like (or love) & have the barrel threaded.
    Exactly.
    That’s exactly what I done.
    Wanted a bolt action stainless steel .22 with a composite stock.
    Hardly anyone made one that I wanted so I got that and had my gunsmith cut, thread and crown my rifle to my specs.
    Instead of the 21” bbl it now has a 16” bbl with my TBAC thunderbeast.
    I love it and shooting CCI Suppressor ammo it’s dead quiet.
    Actually hear the hammer drop and the bullet striking it’s target is louder than that.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Exactly. That’s exactly what I done. Wanted a bolt action stainless steel .22 with a composite stock. Hardly anyone made one that I wanted so I got that and had my gunsmith cut, thread and crown my rifle to my specs. Instead of the 21” bbl it now has a 16” bbl with my TBAC thunderbeast. I love it and shooting CCI Suppressor ammo it’s dead quiet. Actually hear the hammer drop and the bullet striking it’s target is louder than that.
    A fair point, sure, but I am not looking for something I love - just something functional that my kids can shoot. 8, 10, and 13 years old.

I do already have a 22 LR without a threaded barrel and I looked at what it would cost to have it threaded and it made more sense to me to just get another rifle that already has a threaded barrel. Now I have two - and two kids can shoot at once ;).

There are a few that I'd love to have - but they're expensive and I've spent enough money on guns this year already ;).

I picked up a Savage Mark II FV-SR from another member here.

I have had a few other Savage rifles over the last decade and haven't been unhappy with any of them.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    A fair point, sure, but I am not looking for something I love - just something functional that my kids can shoot. 8, 10, and 13 years old.

I do already have a 22 LR without a threaded barrel and I looked at what it would cost to have it threaded and it made more sense to me to just get another rifle that already has a threaded barrel. Now I have two - and two kids can shoot at once ;).

There are a few that I'd love to have - but they're expensive and I've spent enough money on guns this year already ;).

I picked up a Savage Mark II FV-SR from another member here.

I have had a few other Savage rifles over the last decade and haven't been unhappy with any of them.
    I love mine. More accurate than I am.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    At least w the CZ ( and some others ) you can pop the bbl off and have somebody thread it.

No FFL or shipping hassle that way.
    I've looked at a LOT of rifles. That said as I only have the one can - I'm ok with only having one threaded barrel rifle.

Now I just need a bigger safe... "This one is big enough, surely I won't need anything bigger," was definitely inaccurate.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

one of these showed up in the classifieds that I jumped on a few years ago
    Fine shooters for sure, but the factory stock felt flimsier than a BB gun. Boyd’s made it great.

C5AE5EB4-7E4F-4AAF-B3AD-FCB5D487722B.jpeg

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    82   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Picking a rifle because the barrel is threaded, is like buying a car because it is red.

Find a rifle you like (or love) & have the barrel threaded.
    I'll have to agree. I know a lot, if not most, newer models come, or can be had, with threaded barrels, but unless you're one of these people who always worries about "resale value" I see nothing wrong with having your current rifle threaded. (or ANY rifle you find, that you like) I had the barrel threaded on my 77/22, and don't feel a bit bad about it.

301113202_3201358670112604_3962564653296840444_n.jpg

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I'll have to agree. I know a lot, if not most, newer models come, or can be had, with threaded barrels, but unless you're one of these people who always worries about "resale value" I see nothing wrong with having your current rifle threaded. (or ANY rifle you find, that you like) I had the barrel threaded on my 77/22, and don't feel a bit bad about it.

View attachment 246636
    I'm not worried about resale but when I looked at what it would cost to have my barrel on my existing rifle threaded - I could get a whole separate rifle for only a little bit more.

So spend some $$ and have one rifle with a threaded barrel, or spend a little more $$$ and have two rifles, one with a threaded barrel.

It's almost like you guys think I shouldn't be buying more guns. ;)

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    82   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I'm not worried about resale but when I looked at what it would cost to have my barrel on my existing rifle threaded - I could get a whole separate rifle for only a little bit more.

So spend some $$ and have one rifle with a threaded barrel, or spend a little more $$$ and have two rifles, one with a threaded barrel.

It's almost like you guys think I shouldn't be buying more guns. ;)
    I don't know what gunsmith you go to , but mine charges me $85 for threading.

However... I'm also all in for buying more guns...

Top Bottom