Looking for a high quality 22LR w/threaded barrel.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Hello!

I recently acquired a suppressor and I would like to find a 22LR rifle with a threaded barrel.

I’m a fan of manual bolt action so ideally that’s what I’m looking for.

I have a Savage XT22 that I love but the barrel isn’t threaded and I would rather pick something up that has threads than modify the XT22.

I’m just not sure what’s out there / what I should be looking for. I’m ok buying new or used - I’m just not sure what makes/models to consider.

Appreciate any advice you may have.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Ruger American target has a nice laminate stock version with a threaded barrel. I think around $400. Harder to find, but seems like a nice rifle. Takes 10/22 mags also.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I'm going to second the T1x and third the Bergara. A little bit more $ than some of the other choices but they shoot, straight out of the box. Both my Tikkas and my BMR are well under 1 MOA with multiple types of ammo. Can't say the same about any of the CZs I've owned or either of the Ruger Americans.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    Hello!

I recently acquired a suppressor and I would like to find a 22LR rifle with a threaded barrel.

I’m a fan of manual bolt action so ideally that’s what I’m looking for.

I have a Savage XT22 that I love but the barrel isn’t threaded and I would rather pick something up that has threads than modify the XT22.

I’m just not sure what’s out there / what I should be looking for. I’m ok buying new or used - I’m just not sure what makes/models to consider.

Appreciate any advice you may have.
    I bought my Ruger precision rimfire after shooting a friend's suppressed. Way fun and very accurate. Can absolutely recommend.
    Rick

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I'm currently waiting for my first can to get out of ATF jail. Like you, I wanted a bolt action for a host, and it was a requirement for me that it have iron sights. There's actually not much out there that fits those criteria...I ended up looking at a CZ 457 Scout and a version of the Ruger American.

It's probably not going to make me any friends, but handling them both I honestly thought the actions were about the same, as was the fit and finish of the metal parts, and I prefer the flush-fit 10/22 rotary magazines to the CZ mags. The stock on the CZ was definitely nicer than the flimsy plastic on the Ruger, but I want to use this for my kids as well as myself, so the modular Ruger stock was a useful feature. I ended up opening up the barrel channel a bit with some sandpaper and a dowell to ensure that it stays free-floated, and it's been fine so far.

I just got it out for the first time this past week with my new Tech-Sights installed, but had to use the indoor range so I was limited to 50 feet. I was pretty happy with it at that range...looking forward to stretching it out to 50 yards and beyond. The target below are the first groups after I got it zeroed (I ended up adjusting it a bit more later)...I was with 3 family members and we took turns, so each bull is a different shooter. Mine's the upper center one.

52586378214_49a896eb4c_b.jpg

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have a CZ 455 non threaded. It likes SK match ammo. Does under .5 at 50 yards w it and is a sporter. Its tolerable w CCI Blazer for plinking

My Savage MKii TR is a pig and I kinda like it more.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I bought my Ruger precision rimfire after shooting a friend's suppressed. Way fun and very accurate. Can absolutely recommend.
    Rick
    And tying this back into the Ruger American suggestion. The Precision is an American in tacticool furniture. Same gun "under the hood".

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

one of these showed up in the classifieds that I jumped on a few years ago
    I had a guy that used those for competitive matches tell me about his. He said he liked everything but the "junk magazines" that savage made for them.
    Are they that bad?
    Can you get better made aftermarket magazines?

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Picking a rifle because the barrel is threaded, is like buying a car because it is red.

Find a rifle you like (or love) & have the barrel threaded.
    No, not really. It's more like buying a car because it has 4 wheels. Most, newer rimfires come pre-threaded. It's pretty much ubiquitous to the point where one is just being obstinate to buy a non-threaded rifle and have it threaded.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Between me and my 13yr old son we have a Savage B22 FVSR, Ruger American stainless threaded and a 10/22 with aftermarket threaded barrel in a magpul stock for suppressor shooting.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Im not a suppressor guy.
    Don't have a private range so earpro is on anyway.
    Silly maybe, but aesthetics matter to me.
    No way Id put a suppressor on a Ruger #1 LOL

I purposefully bought my CZ and Savage .22 rifles non threaded.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    I had a guy that used those for competitive matches tell me about his. He said he liked everything but the "junk magazines" that savage made for them.
    Are they that bad?
    Can you get better made aftermarket magazines?

if you have a bad mag, just call savage and they will send you a replacement on the spot

Top Bottom