Nov 10, 2021
Indiana
......to port the barrel on a .357 revolver

Evan

Plinker
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feb 8, 2011
Is allen your all around man? I've got a sporterized 30-06 1917 enfield. I took it to a local gun smith who charged me a lot told me my scope was broken. I THINK it's the mounts. For the money I paid he did put on two rings which cracked 3 shots in. The wood they used to destroy that peice if history but the mounts lead a lot to be desired by the visible eye. I think thay may have something to do with the minute of deer accuracy I achieve. It also kicks like a mule but I don't think that's that whole story. May even need crowned. I hate that it was sporterized, but it is what is and it's still got some history in its bones so if I could reasonably get it fixed I'd like to salvage it (never sold one and don't plan on it, I just by em-benefits of an unwed man).

I've also got a Marlin 1894, really like that gun a lot and I'm currently hunting with it. It's got the Marlin lever problem and I need a new carrier and a part of the cam ground. The local "smith" was also perplexed by this (it's all over the internet has a name "Marlin Jam")

Anyone have a good guy in central or East Central Indiana?

Biggredchev

Just some guy
Site Supporter
Local Business Supporter
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Jan 16, 2017
1000 miles from nowhere
Is allen your all around man? I've got a sporterized 30-06 1917 enfield. I took it to a local gun smith who charged me a lot told me my scope was broken. I THINK it's the mounts. For the money I paid he did put on two rings which cracked 3 shots in. The wood they used to destroy that peice if history but the mounts lead a lot to be desired by the visible eye. I think thay may have something to do with the minute of deer accuracy I achieve. It also kicks like a mule but I don't think that's that whole story. May even need crowned. I hate that it was sporterized, but it is what is and it's still got some history in its bones so if I could reasonably get it fixed I'd like to salvage it (never sold one and don't plan on it, I just by em-benefits of an unwed man).

I've also got a Marlin 1894, really like that gun a lot and I'm currently hunting with it. It's got the Marlin lever problem and I need a new carrier and a part of the cam ground. The local "smith" was also perplexed by this (it's all over the internet has a name "Marlin Jam")

Allen is pretty central (Avon). If he cant fix it your next best option is to start praying for it to heal itself. Or duct tape...

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
Rating - 100%
86   0   0
Jun 24, 2013
><(((((*>
He only needs ports. All you need to do that is a drill bit and a drill.

Yeah, dremel, drill. whatever it takes...

629f8d86-a25f-4941-b2a9-e8d337185f9c_text.gif

Trapper Jim

Master
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Dec 18, 2012
Arcadia

The Marlin Jam often gets the blame for other problems that the user is unaware of. PM me and we can discuss.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
Advertiser
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Apr 20, 2008
Avon
Man, I appreciate the positive comments. I do alot of general gunsmithing but right now the bodyshop is so slammed I am spending most of my time helping out there.

Unfortunately I have had to put off new gun work until after first of the year so I can get through the holidays and finish what I have now.
That doesn't mean I am no longer doing it though.

In the meantime look at https://magnaport.com/
For porting the 357. I know there not local but its what they do.

WebSnyper

Grandmaster
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Jul 3, 2010
Man, I appreciate the positive comments. I do alot of general gunsmithing but right now the bodyshop is so slammed I am spending most of my time helping out there.

Unfortunately I have had to put off new gun work until after first of the year so I can get through the holidays and finish what I have now.
That doesn't mean I am no longer doing it though.

In the meantime look at https://magnaport.com/
For porting the 357. I know there not local but its what they do.
My brother had Magnaport port a revolver many years ago and they did an excellent job. I'm sure they still do top notch work.

42769vette

Grandmaster
Advertiser
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Oct 6, 2008
south of richmond in

Anyone who owns a screw driver will call themselves "a smith". The only one in east central Indiana worth taking a gun to would be Mcgraw custom guns in Connersville.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Jan 19, 2009

You can try Havlin's, also on Ingo.

Indy574

Sharpshooter
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Jun 25, 2011
Marshall County
Bosshoss Revolver Works, think he is a member here? However I would ship it to Magnaport…it’s what they do.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
812west
Top Bottom