• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Just gonna leave this here for sake of conversation.

f8060b1fa6650d780b3b946ed9947731.jpg
    That is so right on so many levels. :thumbsup:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I always research before I buy a gun.
    I learned that no matter how wonderful a gun is, someone will be talking it down, so it has to be measured.
    I never bought a Ruger 22SR b/c of bad reviews of unreliability with ammo, but many like it just fine.

After awhile, I discovered most were unremarkable from each other after testing out nearly all rimfires.
    I really like the 4 revolvers & the dozen or less of semis that I have.
    I've had 4 SW Victorys, actually one of the first .22s I bought, but liked the Browning Buckmark better.
    I bought them for $275, $300, $325 & $400 ( last one had multiple magazines, trigger work & a red dot), but I never held on to one for long b/c other's shot a little better in my hand.

Ruger Mark IV Competition sounds intriguing.

Not as nice a pic as bandit posted, but what I can do with my meager cell phone skills:

gPJHhpx.jpg

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    We're way off topic (it's turbo's fault ... right?), but adding the TK & VQ components to my lowly Ruger Mark III Hunter is on the to do list.

As .22LR pistols go, the Ruger Hunter is my 2nd favorite ... the Browning Buckmark is tops in my book.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I bought that from Turbo and he had worked his magic on it. TK Victory trigger with the VQ accurizing kit internals. Very, very sweet shooter.
    He was one of the 1st members I bought guns from & at one point half my guns were his leftovers. :laugh:
    I bought a Ruger Mark 3 from Areoflyer that he'd put in Volquartsen & TandemKross parts.
    It shot was well as my SW 41.
    Should have kept it & sold the SW 41.
    I put an inexpensive red dot on it & it was a joy to shoot.

pic of Mark 3 Volquartsen parts left side. INGO.jpg Range 50' Dec. 27.2019 Mark 3 Volquartsen barrel.jpg
    Not as nice a pic as bandit posted, but what I can do with my meager cell phone skills:

gPJHhpx.jpg
    The grips are stunning!
    Especially since I can't decide on how light/dark to go on the wood & these grips have a little bit of everything on them.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    We're way off topic (it's turbo's fault ... right?), but adding the TK & VQ components to my lowly Ruger Mark III Hunter is on the to do list. As .22LR pistols go, the Ruger Hunter is my 2nd favorite ... the Browning Buckmark is tops in my book.
    My Browning Buckmark Target Hunter that I bought twice.
    A time I could correct a mistake.
    I put an inexpensive red dot on it & it shot better than my SW 41.
    Hunter 7.25 wScope left side.jpg Hunter 7.25 wScope rt. side wSlide open.jpg

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I have found that by shooting several different rifles in one bout can cause the shooter to have issues, since every gun will shoot different you end up compensating to many things to each rifle, if you want consistency shoot one rifle each time out, it also works with pistols too, shooting 3 different pistols in a outing confuses the the basics and issues with each one. just my 2cents, i shoot long range and dread if i ever have to use a back up rifle for these reasons!!!!!!!!!!!!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have found that by shooting several different rifles in one bout can cause the shooter to have issues, since every gun will shoot different you end up compensating to many things to each rifle, if you want consistency shoot one rifle each time out, it also works with pistols too, shooting 3 different pistols in a outing confuses the the basics and issues with each one. just my 2cents, i shoot long range and dread if i ever have to use a back up rifle for these reasons!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That makes sense. :thumbsup:
    I’ve learned not to take 5-6 handguns to the range
    and
    not take 3-4 rifles to the range
    and
    especially not to take rifles and handguns to the range at the same time. :nono:

I was learning that slowly but surely even before I needed to cut back on ammo used per week. :spend:

I still take 2 rifles or 2-3 handguns to shoot against each other.
    Baby steps. ‍♂️

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Finally broke down & bought a solid heavy rest, even though I said I'd never buy a lead sled. :dunno:
    Just 1 more thing I've been wrong about in the hobby. :laugh:
    I ran across a couple in Wal Mart while looking for some big bag rests, but they only had small ones like I already had.
    I had 2 different ones to choose from & I chose the heavier all metal one, since the other had some plastic.

back left.jpg back right.jpg front left.jpg front right.jpg Directions.jpg

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    That front strap can affect barrel harmonics and POI.

Here are some bags that I like - kitty litter and some sewn up fabric can work pretty well too if you are just on a bench...

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    That front strap can affect barrel harmonics and POI.

Here are some bags that I like - kitty litter and some sewn up fabric can work pretty well too if you are just on a bench...

I wondered about that front strap! :scratch:
    Since I'd never seen that before & figured that was just someone's brilliant idea that knew nothing of fine shooting.
    Thanks for verifying that! :thumbsup:

Since I got your last batch of bag suggestions I have looked whenever I would be in a store/shop with gun supplies just in case I got lucky & found the type you were suggesting.
    Nothing.
    Even yesterday, they only had small bags, like I already have 4.
    I did buy 2 hard rubber rests that fit into each other for more height options when I need it (not for use with the sled).

I use blocks of 2x14 & 2x10 wood to set my front & rear gun rests on for height so I don't have to "scrunch."
    I talk of my arthritic neck, but it's connected to my arthritic back as well. :lmfao:

I'll have to figure out what the new sled will take in "height spacers."
    I've even have been told to use a shorter chair/stool to help in that regard.
    Mine are either:
    - 1 step (too low)
    or
    - 2 step (nearly same height as regular chair).
    I'll have to take my tape measure & get measurements for wood "spacers" & height I need to elevate the sled & for
    a chair for the bench at MCFG, & even for Point Blank (although not as needful there with pistols mostly).

I look forward to a summer of 50 & 100 yd shooting this summer.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Disappointing today with my best & most accurate rifle: CZ 512 semi.
    Indoors at 25 yds & using the Lead Sled I picked up.

It was nice having the sled to dial in the target.
    Since I can use it indoors it will be handy when it under 50*.

For some reason the % were way lower than the usual 80% & 90% typical for the 512.
    Old pic below of a month ago at 100% to compare with today's dismal performance.

I did have issues today with some FTF & thought it was just a batch of bad ammo (CCI SV today).
    But it got worse: I was having 3-4 FTF in a row and/or half a mag FTF.
    I thought at first the strike on the rim was sufficient, but it seemed to get worse.
    Maybe I was in denial b/c the rims I checked later were definitely very light.
    When I ran some of the rounds back through the magazine, the vast majority did not fire 2nd time either.
    I used the same ammo brick in a Bersa .22LR, Walther SP22 M2 & a Taurus Tracker 970 w/o incident.

Why so poorly today?
    - lead sled? (don't see how, it held everything steady)
    - scope? ( seems to group well sometimes & everything was tight)
    Note: I have a scope on it now with a parallax dialed properly)
    - ammo? (I did have issues with light strikes today that got worse, but that shouldn't cause POI discrepancies)
    I'm blaming ammo, since I can't blame it on the wind or my shoulder today. :lmfao:

Some groups were 1 hole, then it would be off the mark of the 1/2" red circle??? :scratch: :dunno::ugh:
    Range 03.31.2021 1st using Lead Sled.jpg

This target from a month ago: this is how it should have done today.
    Range 02.27.2021  3 bolts & 1 semi 25 yds 3 of 8 inches.jpg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Follow up on the CZ 512 after its disappointing performance earlier this week.
    I resolved to clean it b/c of the light strikes I was told were probably b/c it needed cleaned.
    1st time of taking a rifle apart.
    If I couldn't get it back together again Zackcz is the one I'd turn to & he did help answer questions when I got stuck b/c the bolt/spring/lower receiver "popped apart" unlike on the video & I didn't know how it fit back.
    Especially disturbing b/c my 512 only had 1 spring & the vid I was watching had 2 springs! :wallbash:

I'd still be in the garage trying to figure out how to reassemble. :laugh:
    Found out after getting it all back together that the barrel was about 1/8" loose? :scratch:
    That could explain why I was getting some errant POI mixed inconsistently with some very good POI earlier this week.
    Hope to go to the range to find out tomorrow.

Ist time I got it back together, just to have to take it apart again when I discovered the barrel was 1/8" loose. :ugh:
    all back together.jpg

Little barrel bolt that were very loose on both sides.
    barrel bolt.jpg

Separated bolt from lower receiver, only to discover my 512 only had 1 spring. :facepalm:
    bolt off lower receiver & only 1 spring.jpg

Cleaned chamber.
    cleaned barrel chamber.jpg

Dirty chamber before cleaning.
    dirty bolt 2.jpg

Separated barrel.
    gap where barrel connects.jpg

Holding down bolt on lower receiver so it wouldn't pop off again like it did when I took it apart.
    holding lower receiver on.jpg

Trying to figure out how to put it back together since it "popped off" unlike the vid I was watching.
    pieces.jpg

Kentucky tool to holding bolt on receiver till I could connect upper. :dunno:
    separated lower receiver.jpg

Dirty bolt.
    dirty bolt.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom