• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    So it’s been a while since my last firearm purchase. So I am kind of looking for something to practice out to a longer distance. Maybe 600 out to 900 feet. I would like for it to be a semi auto if at all possible. I am not really sure about Calibers but possibly thinking about a 308. Honestly I am not really a fan of the AR platform. So any suggestions of what to look into that might fit the bill with out breaking the bank?

Thanks

Last edited:

tomcat13

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Near Louisville
    More than satisfied with my Springfield M1A (308)
    Don't know what your budget is, but you s/b able to pick one up under $2000 (including a decent Scope)
    I have an Older Mini 14 & honestly it is Not the Most Accurate weapon I have, especially out to 200-300 Yrds.

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Nor sure what breaks your bank or style of rifle you are looking for but, if you are talking about battle rifles, I suggest the Springfield Armory M1A or a FN/FAL in 7.62x51mm, aka .308. M1A being the easiest to mount optics would probably be the best choice of the two for punching paper at the longer ranges.
    Neither are inexpensive but, they will not leave you disappointed. Another thing is they will hold value not like the AR10 or a hunting style rifle. Granted, they are not for everybody,

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Nor sure what breaks your bank or style of rifle you are looking for but, if you are talking about battle rifles, I suggest the Springfield Armory M1A or a FN/FAL in 7.62x51mm, aka .308. M1A being the easiest to mount optics would probably be the best choice of the two for punching paper at the longer ranges.
    Neither are inexpensive but, they will not leave you disappointed. Another thing is they will hold value not like the AR10 or a hunting style rifle. Granted, they are not for everybody,
    i am thinking by once cry once. I have started looking locally to no avail for a M1 A. For the most part I shoot iron sights. Thankfully my eyes will still allow it. I would prefer the wood stock versus composite, but I do not know if retro fitting would be an option as a last resort.

Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    i am thinking by once cry once. I have started looking locally to no avail for a M1 A. For the most part I shoot iron sights. Thankfully my eyes will still allow it. I would prefer the wood stock versus composite, but I do not know if retro fitting would be an option as a last resort.
    You got your mind right now, lol. There are a few on Gunbroker.
    I also shoot the irons and you won't find a better rifle than the M1A to shoot irons with.
    I suggest that you try to find a Loaded model. That will get you a National Match barrel, front sight, and a rear sight aperture. New should come with a very nice padded case with a pocket tor 4 magazines. Magazines are another "buy once, cry once " thing. Checkmate magazines are what you want, don't be tempted by the price of the Promags, they are hit or miss as far as reliability. I'm definitely a sling shooter, I suggest the 1907 leather or the standard cotton Garand sling. I'm definitely a big fan of the M14 style rifle.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I also shoot the irons and you won't find a better rifle than the M1A to shoot irons with.
    I suggest that you try to find a Loaded model. That will get you a National Match barrel, front sight, and a rear sight aperture. New should come with a very nice padded case with a pocket tor 4 magazines. Magazines are another "buy once, cry once " thing. Checkmate magazines are what you want, don't be tempted by the price of the Promags, they are hit or miss as far as reliability. I'm definitely a sling shooter, I suggest the 1907 leather or the standard cotton Garand sling. I'm definitely a big fan of the M14 style rifle.
    Agreed being a 1911 Guy, no I am neither old or fat, but I understand the value of a quality magazine.

For some reason I to prefer the M14 style versus an A R platform not dogging them just not for me.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Semi auto? Still shoot irons? National Matche M1A . Mine is scary accurate at 600 .

Buy a real US rifle M1 ....rebarrel it to .308 (yes they were issued in 308)

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Yes i
    I may be in the minority but my training my experience has taught me that Iron sights are the closest to fail safe no batteries etc.
    My national match modern military rifle still wears irons, no problem cleaning the 200 yard target (rapid or slow prone), there are still bunches of us at Perry that shoot irons, instead of "going unlimited " and using an optic

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    Alot of times you'll get a voucher or coupon for discounts on mags or scopes when you buy an M1A. My buddy bought one and got 4 free mags and a coupon for a Vortex scope that he got with the mount. Heck of a deal.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tatdale2
    Top Bottom