• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I will gladly pay online and understand the hurdles that you are trying to jump through.
    I am actually a little surprised by the responses to be honest.
    I also didn’t see where anyone offered to handle registration, take cash, account for it, get it to the treasurer of the club or be the responsible adult in the room.
    Practiscore uses Stripe to process the transactions, they are kind of a big company processing over $35billion a year, I wouldn’t worry about your information from a match fee, you are already using Stripe doing online purchasing.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Have you checked the handling fees and the wait to get the funds? Is it worth it?

If you accept CC payments on PractiScore are you going to accept them match day? You know someone will bring it up.
    Anyone have answers for the above questions?

How much does this cost? The shooters or club is paying this.

Are you going to treat walk ups the same and accept CCs on the day of the match?

I also didn’t see where anyone offered to handle registration, take cash, account for it, get it to the treasurer of the club or be the responsible adult in the room.
    That's not the subject of the thread. But - yes I would do those things at my club if needed. I believe most clubs would not let a non-member perform those functions.

Diesel24v

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Central

Are you going to treat walk ups the same and accept CCs on the day of the match?

That's not the subject of the thread. But - yes I would do those things at my club if needed. I believe most clubs would not let a non-member perform those functions.
    I am currently investigating some of these things to look into potentially offering CC payment in the future. Looked to me that it was about a 3% fee per transaction that the club would be paying unless they charged 3% more to the shooter to cover the fee. The big issue for our club taking CC payment on match day is the cell reception is spotty at best some days and there is no internet access at our club so that would be a challenge for us.

Honestly I think that it is going to come to this in the future anyway. I do agree with Jake about the people that are saying they don't want to give out that sensitive information. It is no different than using your card at the store.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I do agree with Jake about the people that are saying they don't want to give out that sensitive information. It is no different than using your card at the store.
    You seldom know what CC processing service any merchant uses. If you use a CC your info is out there somewhere.

Would be less expensive for a club to sign up directly with a CC processor? Set up the payment link on their web site and send the link out with registration confirmation. This would allow the club to use the service for other payments, not just match fees. Would this save fees that would go to PractiScore as the middleman? Does the scale of PractiScore's operation offer savings over a club doing this on their own?

And there are a few people who don't use credit cards, ever.

IsThatLegal?

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2017
    Whitestown
    The credit card fees are fairly universal regardless of which provider you use. Its typically around 3% in my experience. And yes, cell/internet reception can be an issue, and is worth considering if trying to accept CC payment at match day of. I have done this at multiple fundraisers for charitable organizations. Set up is usually fairly simple and painless, and is user friendly. Provider gets their action and then forwards money to designated account within 24 hours-ish. In my experience, using the service involves no more risk than any other CC transaction.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    You seldom know what CC processing service any merchant uses. If you use a CC your info is out there somewhere.

Would be less expensive for a club to sign up directly with a CC processor? Set up the payment link on their web site and send the link out with registration confirmation. This would allow the club to use the service for other payments, not just match fees. Would this save fees that would go to PractiScore as the middleman? Does the scale of PractiScore's operation offer savings over a club doing this on their own?

And there are a few people who don't use credit cards, ever.
    Practiscore receives no fees, the payment is processed by Stripe, it is 3% per transaction. Your payment information is not stored by Practiscore or the club.
    Matchsignup used PayPal.
    USPSA uses auth.net for membership and club transactions. 98% of memberships and clubs fees are paid by credit card. Almost all major matches (state, section, Nationals etc) use online payment, this isn’t new for most members

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.

Then you are the exception. Like most things in life, people want to reap the benefits but not put in the work. The clubs I am connected with we get almost no help with set up at all, less than a handful do all the work. Usually much less. Clean up is a little better but only because they are already there and you still get a bunch of grumbling about it

longbeard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    It's been a fun thread. Couple of comments.

The core issue is not using a credit card online. If that's your "hard stop" for attending a match, I don't know what else to say except. "Wow". (Downrange and Riverman excluded, these two dudes should get trophies for helping so much).

The core issue is the process. For a local match, making a commitment in advance is a tough ask for all of us. IsThatLegal hit the nail on the head talking about accepting payments the day of. Basically, it solves all issues, but as with all things raises a few logistics questions like wtf happens if the internet is out that day.

Practiscore's integration with Stripe offers the ability to keep track of attendance/paid, and it's very handy for large matches. Probably not needed for a local.

Things to think about.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Yeah
    I wasn’t being totally honest
    I don’t like paying on line but I’ll do it if I have to. My problem is I work so damn much it slips my mind to do it ahead of time and then it’s too late.
    I always have 20 bucks with me.
    I don’t think I help all that much
    If the match I’m attending sets up the morning of the match. I show up early and help set up.
    I always help with tear down
    I RO a little
    If more shooters did this there would happier match directors.
    And while I’m at it
    If you’ve never tried to design a stage or put one on the ground, please don’t bitch at the folks that are doing it.
    Let’s keep them happy and help them all we can

blkrifle

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    terre haute
    And why should my club be penalized because I cant make it? Its not their problem I had to cancel. So why should they pay $4* out of their pocket to the processor because I signed up and then had to cancel? They did nothing wrong.

But Practiscore implementing a credit system would solve that issue.
    CM pays $20 for the April match. Funds move to the club account.
    CM has to cancel and the funds move to CM's account.
    May rolls around.
    CM registers for the May match and applies his credit toward the match and is transferred back to the club account.
    Problem solved.

Then again, PS probably doesnt want that headache either, so I really dont blame them.

*arbitrary number for the sake of argument
    Practiscore doesn't get or handle the online payment. Stripe is an online payment company that processes the cards. They deposit money into the bank account associated with the stripe account. Also USPSA doesn't get any of the money either.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Practiscore doesn't get or handle the online payment. Stripe is an online payment company that processes the cards. They deposit money into the bank account associated with the stripe account. Also USPSA doesn't get any of the money either.
    I know. I was merely suggesting a method that would solve the small problem some here have with prepaying when clubs dont offer refunds.

And I wonder how any of those people ever go to other presale ticketed events? Do they never attend concerts? Because you buy tickets for those in advance, and if you cant make it, same thing. You're out your $$.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I know. I was merely suggesting a method that would solve the small problem some here have with prepaying when clubs dont offer refunds.

And I wonder how any of those people ever go to other presale ticketed events? Do they never attend concerts? Because you buy tickets for those in advance, and if you cant make it, same thing. You're out your $$.
    Speaking just for myself
    Nope
    Too many people and the assholes want me to disarm
    Not happening

Top Bottom