• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    And I mean stuck HARD. Even with the set screw removed I can’t get it to budge. I flipped the press over in a bucket and sprayed silicone and CLP around the turret but it’s still not moving. Tried tapping on it to drive it out as well as turning it a long wrench but it just spins.

Any suggestions? Apparently I need to grease the outside of the turret when I do maintenance and not leave turrets out for extended periods.

Volt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Southport
    If you have a couple of old dies laying around you could screw them opposite each other then use a screwdriver or pry bar to rotate the die holder slightly with light pressure.
    I assume that the cogs are wedged and needs to be rotated one way or the other to free it.
    The only other thing you can do it tap it from the bottom but that may damage the die holder.

Volt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Southport
    Lol, After reading it again.....you tried that already. I’ll go down and look at mine and see if I can contribute a better suggestion.

Volt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Southport
    well, if it’s spinning it’s not wedged so it has to be a cog tooth that’s been damaged or it’s not lined up.
    mine doesn’t seem to want to come out in all positions.
    I have to keep rotating it until I find the sweet spot.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Well, shoot, no joy. Tried soaking it in Breakfree, and it still wouldn't move up. Thought, hey, my garage is freezing right now, maybe I need to heat it up. Nope. Ended up removing the dies and cutting the center of the turret out with my Dremel. Once I had the center out I was able to hammer it out no sweat.

On the one hand, sucks, but I've got spare turrets and I'd rather replace a $15 piece of aluminum than a $200 press.

The strange thing, I expected some rust, but the insert area where the turret goes was pretty normal looking. In terms of lubricating that area, what does everyone use? I've got some silicone-based grease I use for brake jobs, would that work to keep things free?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Guess I was late to this fun project. I was going to suggest hitting it with a plumber's torch and a hammer. But looks like you have it solved already.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Curious, did the turret you removed, or the teeth on the press body show any evidence of galling or damage? Do your other turrets go in and out freely now that you've removed the stuck one?

I don't have a loadmaster, but I use gun oil like brake-free CLP to lube the turrets of my Lee Classic Cast Turret press, and have had good success with that. It definitely smooths out operation. I also use it between the ram and the press body, and the pivoting joints of the handle.

Glad you got it figured out. Sucks you had to cut it up to do so, but I agree...sacrificing a turret sure beats cutting up the press!

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I didn't use any lube the turret on my loadmaster. It's a non-moving part kept indoors, mine's always moved freely... if anything I wouldn't mind it sticking a little tighter.

Maybe the grub screw was run too tight or in the wrong position causing a burr that galled when you turned it? Wouldn't take much to bind up the works.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Curious, did the turret you removed, or the teeth on the press body show any evidence of galling or damage? Do your other turrets go in and out freely now that you've removed the stuck one?

I don't have a loadmaster, but I use gun oil like brake-free CLP to lube the turrets of my Lee Classic Cast Turret press, and have had good success with that. It definitely smooths out operation. I also use it between the ram and the press body, and the pivoting joints of the handle.

Glad you got it figured out. Sucks you had to cut it up to do so, but I agree...sacrificing a turret sure beats cutting up the press!

Nothing really jumps out at me looking at it. Turrets come in and out as expected. Maybe I just had a bad one?

russc2542 - not that I can tell, and I don't crank down the grub screw THAT tight. ;)

Top Bottom