• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trevelayan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 11, 2014
    Putnam Co.
    Does anyone know the legality of carrying loaded long guns in vehicles in the state, for self defense purposes?

A situation arose recently where I needed to get from point A to B with a loaded long arm and I realized I didn't actually know about vehicle carry in the state. I looked up statutes and it appears the code mentions handguns and LTCH quite a bit but I couldn't find much on long guns. Is this one of those situations where a specific lack of prohibition means it's permitted?

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    But bear in mind your behavior out in the country could in theory be scrutinized heavily by Game Wardens. You may honestly be tooling around the woods and fields, maybe stopping to admire the scenery, or using binocs to just observe deer off in the distance. They may wonder why you would have a loaded rifle or shotgun capable of taking a deer either without a license or out of season if they think you are acting suspicious.

But truly if you are just driving from place to place you have nothing to worry about. Just adding that slight possibility you could be questioned.

Trevelayan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 11, 2014
    Putnam Co.
    But bear in mind your behavior out in the country could in theory be scrutinized heavily by Game Wardens. You may honestly be tooling around the woods and fields, maybe stopping to admire the scenery, or using binocs to just observe deer off in the distance. They may wonder why you would have a loaded rifle or shotgun capable of taking a deer either without a license or out of season if they think you are acting suspicious.

But truly if you are just driving from place to place you have nothing to worry about. Just adding that slight possibility you could be questioned.
    That's a good take I hadn't even considered. Luckily our DNR officers around here are pretty chill.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Not to hijack, but is it not true that they have certain legal authority above normal police?
    Im not an expert, but my understanding is Its not so much as "more" per se. They just are more familiar with more laws. (game)

I imagine a CO that quits and gets hired by ISP could probably execute both game and standard ISP SOP stops better than just a standard trained ISP trooper.

But I too have heard they have more leeway in entering private lands than other LEO. Not sure if that is based on training/expertise or who they work for. I imagine water could get muddy fast.

But dont take my word as gospel.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

Funny story...

My hunting partner and I were out hunting at night and I saw something I couldn't quite distinguish. So, I pulled out my spotlight and took a look. My partner flipped out about how we could get in trouble for spotlighting. I started laughing and pointed out to him that we were hunting with THERMAL SCOPES. If a dnr officer stopped us, I'm pretty sure he'd have a hard time getting a ticket to stick...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Something to keep on mind with the opossum cops is that they can charge you on their suspicions.

The CO's, right or wrong, can charge you with whatever crime to let you dangle around in court. I have talked to three differerent folks that this has happened to. Two of the folks were overwhelmed by cost and just payed the fines instead of the cost of the court battle to roll the he said/she said dice.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Not to hijack, but is it not true that they have certain legal authority above normal police?
    Pphhhhtttthpt yea. At least they (ETA some) sure do act like it. They seem to assume the worst case scenario, and give many honest, hard working people a very hard time, IMO. Certainly they are necessary, but I see a lot of deer carcasses thrown out that they couldn’t stop, poachers gonna poach.

They have the authority to arrest a judge, where a county sheriff can’t do that, and I would assume other higher authorities may follow along with that.

Last edited:

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    We have both State and Federal Bunny Wardens down here. With over 60,000 acres of National forest we need them.
    They tend to be very thoroughly into their work!

Top Bottom