• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So, the 2 new Hoosier dudes that've been arrested... do we know if they were on INGO yet? :)

(I'm still of the opinion that Trump could've/should've pardoned anyone for the trespassing type charges-no pardon if they stole or defaced anything, but wandering around during that time shouldn't carry a criminal charge, let alone a potential felony.)

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So, the 2 new Hoosier dudes that've been arrested... do we know if they were on INGO yet? :)

(I'm still of the opinion that Trump could've/should've pardoned anyone for the trespassing type charges-no pardon if they stole or defaced anything, but wandering around during that time shouldn't carry a criminal charge, let alone a potential felony.)
    I don’t know. Was that part of McConnell’s threat to Trump?

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I guess I've fallen a couple days behind on conspiracy theories... McConnell threatened Trump? :D
    Yes. Several news outlets covered it. Back in the last few days of Trump’s presidency, McConnell told Trump that if he pardoned Assange, or Snowden, Republicans in the Senate would vote guilty in the upcoming impeachment trial. I didn’t think there was controversy over the validity of the story.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Anyone who thinks fixing a election isn’t possible needs to read “hack”by Donna Brazile.

she ,quite possibly unintentionally, shows how the Hillary campaign screwed over Bernie in the 2016 election and ensured a Hillary win in the primary. Anyone ok with fixing the primary would have no moral issues with fixing the general.

Amazon product ASIN 0316478512

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Federal informant led the capitol mob? OK, I'll have to listen today and catch up on the latest.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yes. Several news outlets covered it. Back in the last few days of Trump’s presidency, McConnell told Trump that if he pardoned Assange, or Snowden, Republicans in the Senate would vote guilty in the upcoming impeachment trial. I didn’t think there was controversy over the validity of the story.
    Ah, interesting. I did miss that one.

Was that the extent of the list? I really figured Trump would pardon himself, his family, and the capital rioters just to muddy the legal waters.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Was that the extent of the list? I really figured Trump would pardon himself, his family, and the capital rioters just to muddy the legal waters.
    We still don't know that he hasn't; as apparently pardons aren't required to be immediately made public. We'll know if one of them is charged federally.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

He should have pardoned himself and family. It doesn't matter that he hasn't done anything but the tweaky dumocraps would love to charge them with any f****** thing they can dream up just because their TDS voices tell them to.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    He should have pardoned himself and family. It doesn't matter that he hasn't done anything but the tweaky dumocraps would love to charge them with any f****** thing they can dream up just because their TDS voices tell them to.
    Well, in the spirit of popular sentiment these days, we don't know if he did anything wrong - there should be a thorough investigation. ;)

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    About pardoning himself, I don’t think that’s possible. I’m sure Nixon explored it. Yet was pardoned by his successor and not himself. If he tried it I’m sure the Democrats would impeach him for it, but then they’d impeach him for anything. But more importantly I’m pretty sure that would go to SCOTUS and I doubt it would hold up. And rightly so.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    But by pardoning himself he would be also admitting to have done something illegal. No? :dunno:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    About pardoning himself, I don’t think that’s possible. I’m sure Nixon explored it. Yet was pardoned by his successor and not himself. If he tried it I’m sure the Democrats would impeach him for it, but then they’d impeach him for anything. But more importantly I’m pretty sure that would go to SCOTUS and I doubt it would hold up. And rightly so.

I think the 'pardon himself' question is really open. We don't really know how a SCOTUS would rule on it.

Having been tangentially involved in these kinds of decisions, I actually believe that the executive power is almost completely unfettered with regard to pardon/clemency/commutation.

That isn't necessarily always a "good" thing, but it is part of the power of the executive.

Like I said, he could pardon himself and it would, at the very least, muddy the legal waters. It would be another layer of shielding.

[Sidenote: I'm not sure how exercising an executive power would amount to an impeachable offense, but we're already in a brave new world with that.]

But by pardoning himself he would be also admitting to have done something illegal. No? :dunno:
    IMHO, no. While it is a bit legalistic, the point is that he can pardon himself to prevent any criminal charges being filed against him for a variety of things. It isn't so much an admission that he did something illegal, but that he did some things that some prosecutor might think are illegal.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Wouldn't it be really tempting to do something that really needed doing (so that you would have something to write yourself a pardon for).

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Wouldn't it be really tempting to do something that really needed doing (so that you would have something to write yourself a pardon for).
    Like unconstitutionally asserting federal sovereignty to dispossess citizens of ownership of what had previously been personal property?

Something like that? ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom