• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jcole123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Personally I wouldn't use either but I'm an outlier.
    Would you recommend night sights then? I’m often out in the woods hunting and it being winter, it’s dark 24/7. I’m not looking to light up the night sky, just be able to see and properly use my sights. Thanks.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Would you recommend night sights then? I’m often out in the woods hunting and it being winter, it’s dark 24/7. I’m not looking to light up the night sky, just be able to see and properly use my sights. Thanks.
    Sorry, I didn't equate EDC as hunting in the woods at night. I was thinking more of carrying as you are about and out in society.

I have never hunted when it's pitch black so I'm not help. I'm sure other's will be along to help.

Night sites just light up the sight. Does nothing for ID'ing targets.

jcole123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Sorry, I didn't equate EDC as hunting in the woods at night. I was thinking more of carrying as you are about and out in society.

I have never hunted when it's pitch black so I'm not help. I'm sure other's will be along to help.

Night sites just light up the sight. Does nothing for ID'ing targets.
    I think I explained it poorly as well. I’m looking for something to carry out in society, but also something I can carry as my backup into the woods. Besides hunting, I do lots of hiking also. You helped a lot though, thank you! I think a light would be more what I’m looking for then based off how night sights work.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think you start with the G19 and a good handheld light. You are gonna need the handheld anyway, to not be searching with your muzzle pointed at things you don't want shot.

You can fiddle with lasers later, if you choose. The top pistol light manufactures don't have light/laser options, if that tells you anything though.

tgeorge21

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 19, 2023
    Feet
    I'm in the same boat! I like the IDEA of having both, but in reality I practice with irons or dots, and I don't think I would ever use the laser.

spalfano

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2023
    New Palestine
    For an everyday carry pistol, would you recommend just a light, or a light with a laser as well? Thanks .
    I have an Olight that has both. It has a switch to use just flashlight, just laser, or both. It gives flexibility for you. Personally, I just use the flashlight. It’s really a personal preference thing.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I hate lasers on weapons. You can’t properly engage targets quickly training to look for a dot on anything other than a RDS IMO. For lights, I would carry a handheld before mounting a weapon light. You must be able to illuminate without pointing your firearm in most circumstances. Handheld and WML is better.

Night sights are cool, but completely unnecessary. Everyone used them when they became an affordable trend, until we all realized you should never be shooting at anything you can’t clearly see, which requires a light, and makes night-sights useless in all but a few lighting circumstances. Cool feature, but skip the night sights and get a quality light if you don’t already have night sights.

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    Lasers are useless in daytime past 5 yards or so. I like a light on my gun to supplement my hand-held flashlight. If you drop your flashlight, you can still see what you're aimed at at night. Better than not seeing what you're aimed at.

BackFromDC

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 19, 2023
    Jeffersonville
    As someone who's gone through all increments of it...light-laser combos are not worth it. I have a TLR-2s and I've only used the laser to play with my cat.

I have a TLR-7sub and a TLR-9 and I only put them on occasionally now. It's good to have a WML, but conceal carry with them sometimes doesn't feel comfortable...

Quiet Observer

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    St. John
    For an everyday carry pistol, would you recommend just a light, or a light with a laser as well? Thanks .
    This article lists the pros and cons of using a pistol mounted light.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I have a laser/light combo on my M17.
    I do not carry it though.

If I were to carry it I would get either just a light or just a laser.

If you need to use it and you want the laser its my luck the light comes on. No I do not practice with it (was never intended to be edc)

Thats my take.

FNparabellum

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Aug 30, 2022
    Indianapolis
    The lights the most important part tgat way you can see the threat better and put them at a disadvantage. A light and laser if you want it but the lights already guna wash out the laser most of the time.
    That all being said I also carry a flashlight separate from my EDC just so if im unsure if its a threat im not now pointing my gun at something like a cop or my dog.
    Of course this is just my opinion.

FNparabellum

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Aug 30, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I hate lasers on weapons. You can’t properly engage targets quickly training to look for a dot on anything other than a RDS IMO. For lights, I would carry a handheld before mounting a weapon light. You must be able to illuminate without pointing your firearm in most circumstances. Handheld and WML is better.

Night sights are cool, but completely unnecessary. Everyone used them when they became an affordable trend, until we all realized you should never be shooting at anything you can’t clearly see, which requires a light, and makes night-sights useless in all but a few lighting circumstances. Cool feature, but skip the night sights and get a quality light if you don’t already have night sights.
    The night sights are a great option for bedside guns. Ive experimented with them and found in the low light conditions that a house tends to be in in a city they allow you to find your sights easier then stock sights. In a situation like mine where I can quickly check to ensure my wifes in bed with me then I now know anyone else in my home is an enemy. That being said I still run a light on my bedside gun because its far more useful.

Top Bottom