• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I'm looking for a recommendation for a levergun smith. I've got a Marlin 1894 .44 mag and a Wild West big loop lever. The more I try to fit the lever myself, the more boogered up it gets. Anyone in the Indianapolis area? It might be a real easy job: "Sir, you've screwed everything up so badly, there's nothing we can do" sorta thing.

Thanks

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I'm not the expert, but if you search cowboy action shooting on here you'll find all the guys that have work done on their 19th century clones - they know all the smiths. I believe there's a guy in Evansville they talk about, but they are the source of knowledge here.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Have you looked on youtube for installation video's? It might save you a few dollars.

Good thought, but the part is easy to install, insofar as getting inside the rifle, which I did. Tuning to work very nicely is a different matter.
    It's going to take someone with some experience, I think.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    A common lever problem is the lever not staying closed after lockup, just takes a little straightening.:)

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Manatee on here might be able to help, he's a good cowboy action gunsmith. And I think he's in Greenwood.

Thanks, I might give that a try. Meanwhile, as I keep searching the web, I stumbled across this:

Lever-Action Rifles Washington Hunting License Study Guide for Online Hunting Safety Course

It's not a Marlin 1894, but from looking at it, it's certainly close enough. I think I'll post it as a separate thread. It's helpful, and it might have lead me to the solution of one of my problems.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Thanks, I might give that a try. Meanwhile, as I keep searching the web, I stumbled across this:

Lever-Action Rifles Washington Hunting License Study Guide for Online Hunting Safety Course

It's not a Marlin 1894, but from looking at it, it's certainly close enough. I think I'll post it as a separate thread. It's helpful, and it might have lead me to the solution of one of my problems.

Lever actions are cool. When I bought my Henry 44 mag I just had to take it apart! So glad I did. I learned a lot. When I got my 45-70 I had trouble with the bullet lifter. The cocking lever would periodically hang up in the open position. I caught it before I even fired it. To make a lot story short. My understanding of how a correctly working gun worked helped me figure it out. It turned out to be the follower in the mag sticking out to far and the bullet lifter was catching it. A quick call to Henry got me a new one! No hassles either (Henry rates well with me) It was one of the first off the line after Sandy. I imagine that is was a Zoo getting that place running again. That animation might just turn out handy for someone else too!

I take it you got the lever working correctly? Horray if you did!

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Lever actions are cool. When I bought my Henry 44 mag I just had to take it apart! So glad I did. I learned a lot. When I got my 45-70 I had trouble with the bullet lifter. The cocking lever would periodically hang up in the open position. I caught it before I even fired it. To make a lot story short. My understanding of how a correctly working gun worked helped me figure it out. It turned out to be the follower in the mag sticking out to far and the bullet lifter was catching it. A quick call to Henry got me a new one! No hassles either (Henry rates well with me) It was one of the first off the line after Sandy. I imagine that is was a Zoo getting that place running again. That animation might just turn out handy for someone else too!

I take it you got the lever working correctly? Horray if you did!

I'm getting closer.

Top Bottom