• ...and so much more!
  • Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    All of my hunting is done in woods and I have a 4X scope on my Marlin 1894. It has never failed to kill deer with one shot and short if any tracking distance. That said, I don't hunt up north where open fields are much more common.
    My daughter has a Marlin set up like yours. I do believe she would take that rifle to war. Or her 73.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I hope that is just a hyperbolic expression. A .44 magnum can certainly kill a deer and with a CNS hit drop one its tracks but no shoulder fired weapon can "knock" a deer sized animal down. When it comes to rifles, the .44 mag is pretty low on the power scale, even for lever actions.
    While not a lever gun, a buddy said he absolutely knocked a deer down with a 358 Winmag this past season. Knocked it down a 15 foot deep ravine.

Bstarkey_46947

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2021
    Indiana
    If a Henry X is your choice, I'd go with the 30-30 version.

Not my top choice for home defense inside the building.

I don't have any experience with Marlins, I only have Winchesters and a lonely Henry youth model .22.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    357 for the best all-around lever gun cartridge IMO. Shoots 38 or 357. easy to reload. popular cartridge.

If I were you though I would really get some training on a lever gun before you make it a SD choice. Really easy to short stroke the lever and induce a crippling jam.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    87   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Mainly new. The old school walnut furniture and shiny finishes are cool and have their place, they’re just not my style. I’m going for the tactical look with some Ranger Point Precision accessories.

I have an AR. Hunting is the primary application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kinda confused here. You want the new tactical style, but hunting is your primary application? Ok. One thing about a lever gun is unless you're going into an actual conflict zone, it can pretty much do both roles well. Most lever guns in a pistol caliber are gonna hold 8 or 10 rounds, so you should be ok if used strictly in a defensive role. (as opposed to actual combat) Most defensive shootings don't last that long, or require that many rounds. (most) I outfitted mine to be able to handle defensive use. In fact, I refer to them as my "combat cowboy carbines" sometimes... as they were used by cowboys defensively, as well as hunting. I put a red dot (sig Romeo 5) and a light (Streamlight) on each one.

This is the Chiappa take-down in .44 mag.
    I also have a Rossi 92 in .357 mag. Both are set up identical. Old photo though.
    Lights are now on the right side, with tape switches on the left side. This keeps them out of the way of my left eye.

IMG_0310 (2).JPG

Fastball

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2023
    Indianapolis
    Kinda confused here. You want the new tactical style, but hunting is your primary application? Ok. One thing about a lever gun is unless you're going into an actual conflict zone, it can pretty much do both roles well. Most lever guns in a pistol caliber are gonna hold 8 or 10 rounds, so you should be ok if used strictly in a defensive role. (as opposed to actual combat) Most defensive shootings don't last that long, or require that many rounds. (most) I outfitted mine to be able to handle defensive use. In fact, I refer to them as my "combat cowboy carbines" sometimes... as they were used by cowboys defensively, as well as hunting. I put a red dot (sig Romeo 5) and a light (Streamlight) on each one.

This is the Chiappa take-down in .44 mag.
    I also have a Rossi 92 in .357 mag. Both are set up identical. Old photo though.
    Lights are now on the right side, with tape switches on the left side. This keeps them out of the way of my left eye.

View attachment 252458

Style and application are two different things. That’s a pretty sweet setup you’ve got!

Hatchet601

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2022
    Evansville
    357 for the best all-around lever gun cartridge IMO. Shoots 38 or 357. easy to reload. popular cartridge.

If I were you though I would really get some training on a lever gun before you make it a SD choice. Really easy to short stroke the lever and induce a crippling jam.
    100% on the training. My 30-30’s seem to run and feed really well but too much for SD in most cases. My 357 loads much more finiky and I have to run it like I stole it. Training and training and training if you are trusting your life to it.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    I hope that is just a hyperbolic expression. A .44 magnum can certainly kill a deer and with a CNS hit drop one its tracks but no shoulder fired weapon can "knock" a deer sized animal down. When it comes to rifles, the .44 mag is pretty low on the power scale, even for lever actions.
    Yes, absolutely, it was meant metaphorically, as in making a quick and effective kill, not literally knocking them over. I should've clarified that.

And yes, I just got done shooting some pretty hot 45-70 loads at the range today, which was a good reminder that 44 magnum is certainly on the low end for "big boy" rounds. :)

Fastball

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2023
    Indianapolis
    I really appreciate every bit of feedback and advice I got from everyone on this post. Now to chew on all of it and make a decision! Thanks guys!

Bzikot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2022
    Allen County
    I would personally go with the Henry X in 30-30, I feel that 30-30 is really under-rated or overlooked for a self defense round in modern days. You are just starting to see the trend head back towards it, as for a Hunting round it works good inside of its ballistic range, and has taken most game spices here in the states over it long life already

Frontiersman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    East Central Indiana
    This has been very entertaining to read. Aside from the accusation that the .44 is questionable for deer ???? (I'm at a loss there), just about everything has been recommended and correct from my experience.

You didn't say whether you were a handloader. That adds a whole lot more variables.

100 yards is the effective limit for most of us without a scope. Handgun cartridge performance drops off pretty quickly beyond that. - but it depends on the specifics.

.30, .32, .38, .40, .44, .45, .50 etc. regardless of the case behind it can all penetrate through a deer with hard cast or solid bullets at that range. They can all also over expand and fail to penetrate adequately with a poorly chosen hollow point. Handloading gives you the ability to select powder and bullet recipes to get the best out of all.

Ranges inside my house, I would prefer hollow point. Reaching out for deer at 75-100, I would prefer a semi jacketed solid soft point. Hard cast does fine in .45 and up.

All the rifle cartridges work fine. Probably overkill in the house. A scope will add 100 yards. More for those with skill.

I really like the .38/.357 for the variables you have presented.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I would personally go with the Henry X in 30-30, I feel that 30-30 is really under-rated or overlooked for a self defense round in modern days. You are just starting to see the trend head back towards it, as for a Hunting round it works good inside of its ballistic range, and has taken most game spices here in the states over it long life already
    30-30 is a good round, but it gives up half the capacity over a 44 and they're neck and neck in capabilities.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I have 3 lever guns...a Henry .22, a Rossi 92 in .357 Magnum and a Marlin 336 in 30-30 that is technically my dad's, but lives in my gun safe. Its been years since I've been deer hunting, in fact, none of them would have been legal in Indiana for deer the last time I went hunting.

They are neat, and I won't be selling any of them, despite the fact that I don't hunt and rarely shoot them. I like 'em. But if I was just starting out and needed something in a dual role for defense and hunting, honestly, it wouldn't be a lever gun. If you've already got an AR, it makes the most sense to pick up a .350 Legend upper for hunting and call it a day.

If you are dead set on a lever gun (and I completely understand that), I'd go with a .357 Magnum in whatever brand you like. As others have mentioned, it's more economical shooting .38 Special, and the hottest .357 loads are nipping at the heels of 30-30 performance at brush country range. And .357 Magnum certainly needs no introduction as a defensive round. Add a Ruger or a S&W revolver in .357, and you've got as potent a defensive setup as you are going to get without going semiauto.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    If you want one lever gun make it special. Get a 66 or 73. Not an Uberti. Get the Miruku Winchester. Nicest gun I'll ever own. Slick right out of the box. To me, everything else is a weak sister. And like I said, I may own a couple levers.

Top Bottom