• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fastball

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2023
    Indianapolis
    I’m looking to get my first lever action. I’ve been looking at Marlins, Henry’s and Rossi’s. I’m leaning towards a Henry X. Looking for some advice in general but also specifically on caliber. Is there a caliber that gets the job done for home defense and hunting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Lots of calibers get the job done. The two that seems to come to mind immediately for me are 44 Magnum and 357 Magnum, both classic lever gun rounds.

If you (or your family members who will be shooting it) prefer something you can use to plink with a low-recoil round, 357 Magnum is a great choice because you can shoot 38 special out of it, which will have very little recoil, while 357 Magnum rounds will be plenty sufficient on both deer and human-sized targets.

If you prefer a more "big-boy" round that will positively knock a deer down with plenty of power to spare, 44 Magnum is a great choice.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    Greetings and welcome to the bottomless pit you're about to fall into! For home defense, hunting and cost of enjoyment, you're in the .38/357 or .44 range in my opinion. 45-70 is pricy and overkill, and .22 is only good for small game, but you'll get those eventually. I prefer a side loading gate over a tube feed. For general use, those are all good brands. Many will say you buy a Marlin 336 in .30-30 and you're good to go, and they're not wrong either. There will be lots of advice but you can't really go wrong. If you want to mount some sort of optic that may have a deciding factor in the ejection department but I don't think so, but otherwise buy what you like and enjoy it! You might even talk someone into letting you handle a few before you purchase.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Depends on the hunting being done, but 44m/44 special, 357M/38 special, and 45 colt will all get the job done.

.357/38 will be slightly cheaper ammo and better for small game.
    44 or 45 will be more expensive ammo and better for larger game.
    If you don't plan on hunting larger game there is also the .327/32 Mag, which would be fun.

I chose 44 myself, but I can also load my own ammo for it.

Oh and welcome to :ingo:

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    My wife and I have been shooting cowboy action for the past 26 years. I have a Marlin Cowboy (24" oct barrel) and a Rossi 1892 (20" stainless). I got the Rossi for my wife since it is lighter. She still shoots the Marlin more. Mine are in 45 Colt because I wanted SA revolvers in 45 Colt. I reload lots of calibers, so that is no concern to me. Others have given good advice on caliber. 38/357 might be best if you do not reload. If you load, I would choose 44 mag. Very versatile.

You mentioned hunting so if you plan on scoping the rifle, the Marlin can do that easier than an 1892. I do not know much about the Henry. I've shot with lots of cowboys that shoot Henrys and they seem to like them. I have seen some have issues. I never thought much about them so I have not looked at them and know very little about them.

The only issues that I have had with the Marlin is I broke the firing pin twice. The second time I replaced it with a one-piece FP. The loading gate sppring also broke and was easily replaced. With two people shooting the gun for 26 years in monthly matches, I'd say those were normal wear and tear and a minimal amount of issues.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Rimmed pistol cartridges are fine for hunting and generally the least expensive for shooting. The Winchester 1873 in 44-40 is often referred to as the gun that won the west for good reason.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    If you prefer a more "big-boy" round that will positively knock a deer down with plenty of power to spare, 44 Magnum is a great choice.
    I hope that is just a hyperbolic expression. A .44 magnum can certainly kill a deer and with a CNS hit drop one its tracks but no shoulder fired weapon can "knock" a deer sized animal down. When it comes to rifles, the .44 mag is pretty low on the power scale, even for lever actions.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I hope that is just a hyperbolic expression. A .44 magnum can certainly kill a deer and with a CNS hit drop one its tracks but no shoulder fired weapon can "knock" a deer sized animal down. When it comes to rifles, the .44 mag is pretty low on the power scale, even for lever actions.

While your assessment may be technically correct, I think it overlooks the disturbing amount of damage a well placed 44 mag round will do to Bucky at typical pistol caliber ranges. Zowie.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    Are you looking for old, new, or don't have a preference? Some guys really like the tactical lever guns and there's another thread on here regarding a mag fed lever gun offering I believe.

Fastball

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2023
    Indianapolis
    Are you looking for old, new, or don't have a preference? Some guys really like the tactical lever guns and there's another thread on here regarding a mag fed lever gun offering I believe.

Mainly new. The old school walnut furniture and shiny finishes are cool and have their place, they’re just not my style. I’m going for the tactical look with some Ranger Point Precision accessories.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Speaking of ranges, what kind of effective range can I expect out of a 44 mag?
    Depends on optics or irons. Good ammo and a optic 125 is a good range. Some can go further, some wll not even get that far.

I am assuming we are talking about deer sized targets. Know your ability first is the most important thing.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    All of my hunting is done in woods and I have a 4X scope on my Marlin 1894. It has never failed to kill deer with one shot and short if any tracking distance. That said, I don't hunt up north where open fields are much more common.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I may have a couple leverguns. None are a Henry. My daughter has a .22 Henry and it's a nice little gun. My main experience with the Henry is loaning someone my 73 Winchester when their gun breaks.

Marlin 1894 in .44 mag is always a winner, as is a Rossie 1892.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom