Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    NEW_GP_Letterhead_0.png

September 29, 2022

Dear Mr. Smith,

Thank you for contacting my office regarding H.R. 8374, the Shall Not Be Infringed Act. I appreciate you taking the time to share your views on this important matter, and I welcome the opportunity to respond.

As you may know, on June 25th, 2022, President Biden signed the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act into law. This deceptively named law was rushed through Congress behind closed doors, fails to address gun violence in our communities, and frames responsible gun owners as a scape goat for Democrats’ failed policies. The Shall Not Be Infringed Act would repeal this law to restore Hoosiers’ second amendment rights. Currently, the Shall Not Be Infringed Act has been referred to House Committee on the Judiciary, of which I am not a member. Should this bill come before the full House of Representatives for a vote, I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind.

I am 100 percent committed to protecting your right to bear arms, which is why I proudly voted against the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act in June. Our Founding Fathers could not have been clearer – the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. As a firearm owner and lifetime member of the National Rifle Association, I am passionate about safeguarding the fundamental right of all Hoosiers to protect themselves and the people they love. The United States Constitution sets forth that gun ownership is not a special privilege reserved for a select few but is a protected freedom for all law-abiding citizens.

I believe we must work together to reduce gun violence in our country, but it is essential that we address the root cause of the problem – not just the symptoms. Instead of supporting legislation that infringes upon our constitutional right to keep and bear arms, I believe we need to redirect our focus on supporting local law enforcement, ensuring laws and protocols are followed to spot the warning signs of violence, and keep firearms out of the hands of those battling mental illness. I believe we can find solutions to gun violence while protecting the fundamental rights of law-abiding citizens. I look forward to working with my colleagues in Congress and local officials to address the underlying causes of this violence, identify the cracks in the system, and intervene before precious lives are lost.

As your Representative in Congress, I will continue to support measures that protect Hoosiers’ Second Amendment rights and fight back against radical legislation that infringes on those rights the Founders deemed essential to our freedom. It is an honor to serve Hoosiers of Indiana's Sixth Congressional District. You can visit my website at pence.house.gov to learn more about how I am representing you in Congress.

Sincerely,
    New_SIgnature_Font.png

Greg Pence
    Member of Congress

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    December 2, 2022

Dear Mr. Smith,
    Thank you for contacting my office regarding H.R. 9033, the Stop Harassing Owners of Rifles Today (SHORT) Act. I appreciate you taking the time to share your views on this important matter, and I welcome the opportunity to respond.

As you may know, the Biden Administration’s Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) recently proposed a backdoor rule that seeks to ban certain types of pistols and put law abiding gun owners on a federal firearm registry. To prevent the ATF’s unconstitutional attack on the Second Amendment, the SHORT Act would remove unconstitutional taxation, registration, and regulation of firearms such as the Short Barreled Rifle and Short Barreled Pistol. Currently, the SHORT Act has been referred to the House Committee on Ways and Means, of which I am not a member. Should this bill come before the full House of Representatives for a vote, I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind.

Our Founding Fathers could not have been clearer – the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. As a firearm owner and lifetime member of the National Rifle Association, I am passionate about safeguarding the fundamental right of all Hoosiers to protect themselves and the people they love. The United States Constitution sets forth that gun ownership is not a special privilege reserved for a select few but is a protected freedom for all law-abiding citizens.

I believe we must work together to reduce gun violence in our country, but it is essential that we address the root cause of the problem – not just the symptoms. Instead of supporting legislation that infringes upon our constitutional right to keep and bear arms, I believe we need to redirect our focus on supporting local law enforcement, ensuring laws and protocols are followed to spot the warning signs of violence, and keep firearms out of the hands of those battling mental illness. I believe we can find solutions to gun violence while protecting the fundamental rights of law-abiding citizens. I look forward to working with my colleagues in Congress and local officials to address the underlying causes of this violence, identify the cracks in the system, and intervene before precious lives are lost.

As your Representative in Congress, I will continue to support measures that protect Hoosiers’ Second Amendment rights and fight back against radical legislation that infringes on those rights the Founders deemed essential to our freedom. It is an honor to serve Hoosiers of Indiana's Sixth Congressional District. You can visit my website at pence.house.gov to learn more about how I am representing you in Congress.

Sincerely,

Greg Pence
    Member of Congress

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    December 5, 2022

Dear Mr. Smith,

Thank you for contacting my office about S. 4986, the SHORT Act. I appreciate hearing from you on this legislation.

For many years, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) has allowed the production and use of pistol braces, affirming that both braces and the firearms to which they are attached are not subject to enhanced regulation under the National Firearms Act (NFA), such as firearm registration with the ATF. However, on June 10, 2021, ATF issued a proposed rule that would classify most pistols with attached braces as short barreled rifles (SBRs), thus subjecting them to the NFA. Millions of Americans own pistol braces, and under this rule, will have to register their pistols and personal information with the ATF to legally keep them.

To deregulate SBRs and several other classes of NFA-regulated firearms, Senator Roger Marshall of Kansas introduced the SHORT Act on September 28, 2022. The SHORT Act removes SBRs, short-barreled shotguns (SBSs), and “any other weapons (AOWs)” from the NFA. The bill also nullifies state and local regulations and taxes on SBRs, SBSs, and AOWs. Finally, the bill would require ATF to destroy all records pertaining to NFA regulated firearms.

I am an avid hunter, a National Rifle Association member, and stand in full support of the Second Amendment. In the Senate, I will oppose any efforts to restrict the rights of law-abiding gun owners and will protect their ability to defend themselves and their families in life-threatening situations. From the time that I was elected to the United States Senate, I have supported several bills to protect the Second Amendment rights of Americans, including S. 803, the Home Defense and Competitive Shooting Act, which would exempt short barreled rifles from regulation under the NFA. I recognize the importance of protecting Americans’ Second Amendment rights, and you can rest assured that I will continue to do so as one of your United States Senators.

Thank you for contacting me. It is an honor to serve as your U.S. Senator from Indiana. Please keep in touch with me on issues of concern to you. You can also follow me on Twitter or Facebook for real-time updates on my activities in the U.S. Senate. If I ever may be of service, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Mike Braun
    U.S. Senator

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I was moved from Victoria Spartz district to the fourth congressional district for the 118th Congress. I wonder what my former and new reps position will be on this?

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Oh, she's heard plenty from me!

Now my new representative, Mr. Jim Baird, I have not had the privilege of engaging with yet. Unfortunately, his Web site so far hasn't been willing to recognize me as a constituent. Only option at present is snail mail.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Dear Mr. Smith,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the SHORT Act. I appreciate your interest in this issue.

Since 2012, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) has permitted the importation and manufacturing of large-frame pistols and accompanying stabilizing braces under the standard that they constitute firearms intended to be fired with one hand. Beginning in 2020, in private correspondence to applicants, the ATF began designating these firearms as short-barreled rifles, which are regulated under the 1934 National Firearms Act (NFA), incur high regulatory thresholds for importation and production, and require the purchasing of a tax stamp by a law-abiding owner. Furthermore, under the current administration, the ATF has proposed formalizing this designation and requiring the registration of pistols utilizing stabilizing braces as short-barreled rifles under the NFA.

As a result of this potential action by the ATF, on September 28, 2022, Senator Roger Marshall (R-KS) introduced S. 4986, the Stop Harassing Owners of Rifles Today (SHORT) Act. This legislation would pre-empt the ATF’s proposal by removing short-barreled rifles and short-barreled shotguns from the NFA and associated federal tax requirements. The legislation would also restrict the ability of state and local governments to impose unnecessary taxes on the manufacture, transfer, use, or possession of a short-barreled rifle or shotgun, and would require the destruction of records held by the ATF due to prior taxation and regulation of these rifles and shotguns under the NFA. Currently, S. 4986 awaits consideration by the Senate Committee on Finance, of which I am a member.

Under the current administration, I have observed a concerning trend in how the ATF communicates to law-abiding gun owners and manufacturers about changes in their policies. Additionally, I believe the ATF needs to better appreciate its role as a regulator and not as a tool of unconstitutional assaults on the Second Amendment. Please be assured I will keep your thoughts in mind should this or related legislation come before the full Senate for consideration.

Again, thank you for contacting me. It is an honor to represent you in the United States Senate.

Sincerely,

Todd Young
    United States Senator

≈≈================

He said everythingwe already know. He doesn't he say he'll support it.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Dear Mr. Smith,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the SHORT Act. I appreciate your interest in this issue.

Since 2012, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) has permitted the importation and manufacturing of large-frame pistols and accompanying stabilizing braces under the standard that they constitute firearms intended to be fired with one hand. Beginning in 2020, in private correspondence to applicants, the ATF began designating these firearms as short-barreled rifles, which are regulated under the 1934 National Firearms Act (NFA), incur high regulatory thresholds for importation and production, and require the purchasing of a tax stamp by a law-abiding owner. Furthermore, under the current administration, the ATF has proposed formalizing this designation and requiring the registration of pistols utilizing stabilizing braces as short-barreled rifles under the NFA.

As a result of this potential action by the ATF, on September 28, 2022, Senator Roger Marshall (R-KS) introduced S. 4986, the Stop Harassing Owners of Rifles Today (SHORT) Act. This legislation would pre-empt the ATF’s proposal by removing short-barreled rifles and short-barreled shotguns from the NFA and associated federal tax requirements. The legislation would also restrict the ability of state and local governments to impose unnecessary taxes on the manufacture, transfer, use, or possession of a short-barreled rifle or shotgun, and would require the destruction of records held by the ATF due to prior taxation and regulation of these rifles and shotguns under the NFA. Currently, S. 4986 awaits consideration by the Senate Committee on Finance, of which I am a member.

Under the current administration, I have observed a concerning trend in how the ATF communicates to law-abiding gun owners and manufacturers about changes in their policies. Additionally, I believe the ATF needs to better appreciate its role as a regulator and not as a tool of unconstitutional assaults on the Second Amendment. Please be assured I will keep your thoughts in mind should this or related legislation come before the full Senate for consideration.

Again, thank you for contacting me. It is an honor to represent you in the United States Senate.

Sincerely,

Todd Young
    United States Senator

≈≈================

He said everythingwe already know. He doesn't he say he'll support it.
    Todd Young is worthless

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Dear Gabriel,

Thank you for contacting me to express your views. I appreciate hearing from you.

In response to the recent incidents of gun violence, my wife and I have been devastated for the families and communities. Throughout my career, I have worked to support all those impacted by tragic and senseless acts of gun violence.

That is why on June 24, 2022, I was proud to support P.L. 117-159, the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act, which takes a critical step toward addressing gun violence in our nation. For example, this law allows for the review of juvenile records of individuals below the age of 21 who seek to purchase rifles and other assault-style weapons to determine whether any offense would preclude such purchases. The law also expands the prohibition on gun ownership to individuals who have been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence against a dating partner, and clarifies that certain firearm dealers run background checks on potential buyers.

Additionally, P.L. 117-159 provides $1.3 billion in emergency funding over five years for certain crisis intervention and violence prevention initiatives, such as programs to establish red flag systems, and also mental health service programs, including child-focused mental health programs and school-based mental health programs. The law also includes $300 million for certain school security programs and supports programs that promote evidence-based practices and recommendations to create safe and supportive learning environments.

In a related matter, on July 29, 2022, I supported and the House approved H.R. 1808, the Assault Weapons Ban Act, by a vote of 217 to 213. Introduced by Rep. Cicilline, H.R. 1808 would ban the sale, manufacture, transfer, and import of military-style assault weapons. Specifically, the measure would ban magazines with more than 10 rounds of ammunition, require a background check on any future sale of assault weapons, and require long guns to be stored in secure gun storage with a trigger lock. Subsequently, H.R. 1808 was referred to the Senate, where it is currently pending consideration.

Despite our difference of opinion, be assured that I am continuing to work on behalf of all residents of Northwest Indiana and will continue to monitor these issues with your views in mind. Only through an honest exchange of ideas can we continue to nurture our democracy.

To stay up-to-date on my legislative activities, please follow my Facebook page at facebook.com/RepMrvan and my Twitter and Instagram accounts at @RepMrvan, as well as sign up for my e-newsletter at mrvan.house.gov. You may also contact my office any time through my House website or at 219-795-1844.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please do not hesitate to let my staff or me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Sincerely,
    Mrvan_Signature.PNG

Frank J. Mrvan
    Member of Congress

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I think it's odd that many of these letters directly reference existing bills but none of the congressmen directly voice their support of/opposition to the bills. Is there a specific reason other than they want to remain noncommittal?

For example, re-read this paragraph from Todd Young:

It's like there's a missing sentence at the end: "I believe S. 4986 would solve the issue you are contacting me about and I plan to support this bill moving forward"...or "Although S. 4986 appears promising, I plan to oppose it on these grounds..."

Instead we are left to guess where Senator Young stands on the issue. It seems like all of the letters are written that way...

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I think it's odd that many of these letters directly reference existing bills but none of the congressmen directly voice their support of/opposition to the bills. Is there a specific reason other than they want to remain noncommittal?

For example, re-read this paragraph from Todd Young:

It's like there's a missing sentence at the end: "I believe S. 4986 would solve the issue you are contacting me about and I plan to support this bill moving forward"...or "Although S. 4986 appears promising, I plan to oppose it on these grounds..."

Instead we are left to guess where Senator Young stands on the issue. It seems like all of the letters are written that way...
    I don't have to guess what Todd Young is going to do. He's anti 2A deep down and a leftist who only stays in power by pretending He's conservative. Todd needs to go by whatever means necessary including if that means a democrat gets elected. Because he's no different than a leftist other than the party he's in.
    Indiana needs to make a law that we can recall anyone in political power like other states have. We can recall Todd even our worthless govonor and elect a better candidate.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

This is my new Senator. Anyone know anything about her? @KellyinAvon
    I wrote her an Email on 12/3. I still haven't received any reply.

So who thought it was a Good idea to Gerrymander the state again? I lost my Senator Chip Perfect, and have to now deal with this unknown.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

This is my new Senator. Anyone know anything about her? @KellyinAvon
    I wrote her an Email on 12/3. I still haven't received any reply.

So who thought it was a Good idea to Gerrymander the state again? I lost my Senator Chip Perfect, and have to now deal with this unknown.
    Take a look at the 2022 Legislation thread. I dimed out the RINOs who went against ConC.

Fire Lord

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Around Franklin
    December 2, 2022

Dear Mr. Smith,
    Thank you for contacting my office regarding H.R. 9033, the Stop Harassing Owners of Rifles Today (SHORT) Act. I appreciate you taking the time to share your views on this important matter, and I welcome the opportunity to respond.

As you may know, the Biden Administration’s Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) recently proposed a backdoor rule that seeks to ban certain types of pistols and put law abiding gun owners on a federal firearm registry. To prevent the ATF’s unconstitutional attack on the Second Amendment, the SHORT Act would remove unconstitutional taxation, registration, and regulation of firearms such as the Short Barreled Rifle and Short Barreled Pistol. Currently, the SHORT Act has been referred to the House Committee on Ways and Means, of which I am not a member. Should this bill come before the full House of Representatives for a vote, I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind.

Our Founding Fathers could not have been clearer – the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. As a firearm owner and lifetime member of the National Rifle Association, I am passionate about safeguarding the fundamental right of all Hoosiers to protect themselves and the people they love. The United States Constitution sets forth that gun ownership is not a special privilege reserved for a select few but is a protected freedom for all law-abiding citizens.

Sincerely,

Greg Pence
    Member of Congress
    What the heck is a short barreled pistol?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Is Frank J. Mrvan really a Hoosier and not a commiefornia transplant? He openly supports a so-called assault weapon and 10 round mag ban. After this guy, people complaining about Young remind me of those complaining about mean tweets.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Is Frank J. Mrvan really a Hoosier and not a commiefornia transplant? He openly supports a so-called assault weapon and 10 round mag ban. After this guy, people complaining about Young remind me of those complaining about mean tweets.
    The US House Rep or the State Senator who is also the Indiana State Fossil?

Top Bottom