• ...and so much more!
  • Refrigerator27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Noblesville
    Hi All,

I have written a letter that you can copy and paste to send to your state reps in regards to amending our State code to include being allowed to carry at school owned property. Please fill in your state reps name and your name and send this to your district reps. Share this with your friends and family so we can get all the state reps on board. Let me know if we should make any chances, comment below on what you would change.

Dear “Insert State Rep’s name”,

This past year of 2022 Constitutional Carry was passed allowing Hoosiers to carry handguns in self defense regardless of having a “License to Carry.” This has allows residents to protect themselves and their loved ones from direct threats. However currently there are still some limitations to this that are in the Indiana State Code. As seen in Indiana Code Title 35-47-2-1, “a person may not carry a firearm on school property, and if caught is guilt of a class A misdemeanor.” As seen in the Greenwood Park Mall shooting this past year, “gun free zones” do not deter criminals from committing these heinous acts. Several of the most deadly shootings in the US have happened at schools (Uvalde, Parkland, Virginia Tech, Sandy Hook, Columbine, and countless others). Schools should not be gun free zones in Indiana as parents need the ability to protect their child when taking them to/from school functions, while on school property, and also school sponsored sporting events. It is imperative that we protect our children from these criminals who actively target children because they are easy targets. Please do your best in amending the Indiana Code to allow Hoosiers to be able to protect their families at schools.

Thank you,

“insert your name here”

Refrigerator27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Noblesville
    I'll go with "Things that will never happen" for $100 Pat.

I understand where you are coming from but I'll leave you with this:

1986.JPG 2022.png

If someone told anyone one of us back in the 80's-90's that 25 states would be come Constitutional Carry in 35 years and the supreme court would make all state Shall-Issue, everyone of us would have said have told that person we were absolutely insane. But here we are. Progress can be made, yes it might be slow, but it can be made. Worst thing you can get is a no response from your rep.

Be the change that you want to see in the world.

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I understand where you are coming from but I'll leave you with this:

View attachment 229458 View attachment 229459

If someone told anyone one of us back in the 80's-90's that 25 states would be come Constitutional Carry in 35 years and the supreme court would make all state Shall-Issue, everyone of us would have said have told that person we were absolutely insane. But here we are. Progress can be made, yes it might be slow, but it can be made. Worst thing you can get is a no response from your rep.

Be the change that you want to see in the world.
    How many of those Right-to Carry states have legalized carrying on school property? 3. Of ALL these states, only 3 allow licensed carriers onto school property with their firearms, Alabama, Oregon, Utah. I don't think most conservative states will cross that line and the vast majority of the citizenry have to stomach for it.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    How many of those Right-to Carry states have legalized carrying on school property? 3. Of ALL these states, only 3 allow licensed carriers onto school property with their firearms, Alabama, Oregon, Utah. I don't think most conservative states will cross that line and the vast majority of the citizenry have to stomach for it.
    Yep because even most avid 2A supporters and A+ NRA rated politicians believe, when it comes down to it, a ‘no guns’ sign and policy is magical in its ability to stop evil.

grayishman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2022
    Too close to Gary
    If I were a teacher, I'd carefully weigh the pros and cons of what might happen if I carried a "concealed means concealed" pistol with me to my place of employment. I'd also have to consider whether or not there are any security measures in place at the front door, and how cowardly the police in my jurisdiction are likely to be when 20 of them are up against one man killing children.
    I suppose it's a good thing I'm not a teacher.

Refrigerator27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Noblesville
    With all due respect, this is simply incorrect. Montana (all gun free zones banned 2021), Texas (Universities only 2015 law), certain areas in Colorado (colleges only 2022) , as well as New Hampshire also allow conceal carry at school property. There could be others that I have not mentioned. Its not a simple google search, first search result type of issue.

Change has been happening. It can be changed.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Constitutional Carry doesn't need to be "amended", because the legislation never had anything to do with where one can lawfully carry.

You're talking about an entirely different issue - one I applaud, certainly. Why conflate the two issues?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    With all due respect, this is simply incorrect. Montana (all gun free zones banned 2021), Texas (Universities only 2015 law), certain areas in Colorado (colleges only 2022) , as well as New Hampshire also allow conceal carry at school property. There could be others that I have not mentioned. Its not a simple google search, first search result type of issue.

Change has been happening. It can be changed.
    Okay, and this also conflates K-12 schools with colleges and universities. It would behoove you to choose a lane, if you want to accomplish anything legislatively.

Here in Indiana, there is no statute making it unlawful to carry a firearm on university/college campuses. They are no different from any other private property (signs have no force of law, you can be trespassed, etc.). So, arguing college campus carry is a bit of a non-starter.

Refrigerator27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Noblesville
    Constitutional Carry doesn't need to be "amended", because the legislation never had anything to do with where one can lawfully carry.

You're talking about an entirely different issue - one I applaud, certainly. Why conflate the two issues?
    You are totally correct, I'm confusing the who and where. Maybe I should have titled it "Letter to Rep to Amend Indiana State Code to allow carrying on School Property"

Okay, and this also conflates K-12 schools with colleges and universities. It would behoove you to choose a lane, if you want to accomplish anything legislatively.

Here in Indiana, there is no statute making it unlawful to carry a firearm on university/college campuses. They are no different from any other private property (signs have no force of law, you can be trespassed, etc.). So, arguing college campus carry is a bit of a non-starter.

I merely was showing the university example of laws that have recently changed in the past year to allow people to carry on school property as a case that change can and has been made. But you are right a bit of a tangent, but I still believe relevant.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    You are totally correct, I'm confusing the who and where. Maybe I should have titled it "Letter to Rep to Amend Indiana State Code to allow carrying on School Property"

I merely was showing the university example of laws that have recently changed in the past year to allow people to carry on school property as a case that change can and has been made. But you are right a bit of a tangent, but I still believe relevant.
    We agree in intent. Just trying to give some advice, after being involved for at least the past 8 years trying to get constitutional carry in Indiana, and seeing how easily those efforts got derailed in several IGA sessions during that time.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    When last I looked, Utah had removed the prohibition on carry on k-12 school property *for those with a state-issued carry permission slip*. That may have changed, and I'm too tired to look it up right now, but I think that might be a good place to start: if we get them to say it's OK to carry on school property *with a license*, then it's an easy move to show that carry WITH a LTCH is identical to carry WITHOUT one.

$0.02

Blessings,
    Bill

hoosiersasquatch

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Southern Indiana

You are correct in the fact it is not unlawful to carry on universities and colleges, however if spotted carrying I have seen it make the news and the college send their Police force out with quite a show of force, when caught, they remove the person from their premises and ban them from returning (which I assume means they are trespassing if they return) - I agree totally different issue for K-12

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    You are correct in the fact it is not unlawful to carry on universities and colleges, however if spotted carrying I have seen it make the news and the college send their Police force out with quite a show of force, when caught, they remove the person from their premises and ban them from returning (which I assume means they are trespassing if they return) - I agree totally different issue for K-12
    Sure. Private colleges/universities can trespass anyone they like from their private property. State-owned colleges/universities, however, cannot, AFAIK, trespass/ban anyone from their publicly owned property.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    State-owned colleges/universities, however, cannot, AFAIK, trespass/ban anyone from their publicly owned property.
    No, that is not true. Having been a police officer at a state funded university prior to my current gig, we were free to trespass people from university property that didn't have a legitimate reason to be there.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    No, that is not true. Having been a police officer at a state funded university prior to my current gig, we were free to trespass people from university property that didn't have a legitimate reason to be there.
    IANAL, and can certainly be wrong. I'm assuming you were using something along the lines of "no contractual interest"? If so, how high (or low) is that hurdle?

Top Bottom