• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasRedneck

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Texas - where else?<G>
    We recently trashed a complete set of Calphalon that was less than 4 years old, after having replaced the griddle (twice) and the fry pan (THREE times) under warranty. Each time took them 4-6 months to send the replacement. We now have a $5.99 non-stick skillet, and a set of professional SS from our local restaurant supply house. That SS will live well beyond us, and it was about half the cost of the Calphalon garbage.

Oh - and if you have the Calphalon cutlery, keep a VERY close eye on the edges!! I was cutting/trimming a shoulder clod for the pit one afternoon, and suddenly noticed that the blade had several chunks missing from it. THAT set got trashed as well - and replaced with a set from Old Hickory. Most of this "high-end" stuff they sell is pure trash, IMO.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have never used one, but carbon steel pans seem to be kind of between cast iron and stainless. I want to give them a try myself. I love cast iron but they are so heavy.

If I wasn't invested in cast iron, I would go with carbon steel. My son went that route and he and his wife are into cooking. Once they get seasoned, they work like non-stick pans.

I do use a non-stick pan for morning eggs that has worked well. It's not Teflon, but some kind of blue coating. Works well.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    We recently trashed a complete set of Calphalon that was less than 4 years old, after having replaced the griddle (twice) and the fry pan (THREE times) under warranty. Each time took them 4-6 months to send the replacement. We now have a $5.99 non-stick skillet, and a set of professional SS from our local restaurant supply house. That SS will live well beyond us, and it was about half the cost of the Calphalon garbage.

Oh - and if you have the Calphalon cutlery, keep a VERY close eye on the edges!! I was cutting/trimming a shoulder clod for the pit one afternoon, and suddenly noticed that the blade had several chunks missing from it. THAT set got trashed as well - and replaced with a set from Old Hickory. Most of this "high-end" stuff they sell is pure trash, IMO.

For prep knives, I recommend Mercer Genesis line... which I've had for 7-8 years. When researching, I keep finding references that many culinary schools equip their students with these so I tried them and have been very pleased and I've never been happy with kitchen knives, lol!

For OP, I'd recommend at least a chef's knife, paring knife, utility knife and a santuko for fine slicing. Bread knife optional unless you make bread. Ditto carving knife unless you regularly slice slabs of meat, carve turkeys, etc.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Bar Keepers Friend also works on the enameled cast iron, though I only use it when absolutely necessary. It will clean up the inside like new and will remove a stain from the exterior if you must, but I have not had that issue much.

Mom was French, and so I'm part French, hence my emphasis on the French (enameled) versus Dutch, and therefore obviously inferior to the French, oven. :):

And I agree... I've had it for 12 years and only had to "scrub" it once with BKF... lost track of the time for the Moroccan Chicken.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    For non-stick I have an 8 & 10 inch set from Sur la Table. My wife got a set at the same time(not married when we got them), and hers look like trash. Mine show some wear, but are in good shape- coating is still intact and not flaking(over 10 years old). I think the biggest difference is in how you cook with them. She tends to use high heat to cook everything, I vary the heat and don't use a non-stick to sear stuff. That's what my stainless is for.

My stainless set came from a clearance shelf at Meijer- $60 for the 10-piece set and it has been great. My Mom got me a 12" AlClad stainless skillet, I used it once and was done. The handle was not comfortable at all.

For those that use Barkeepers Friend, Have you ever tried BonAmi? Growing up we used BKF because we had rusty well water. Somewhere along the line, switched to BonAmi. Works great, and I have used it on dishes to remove rust and stains, laminate countertops to remove stains, glass mixing bowls to remove hard water stains. As it says on the label: Hasn't scratched yet!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    For non-stick I have an 8 & 10 inch set from Sur la Table. My wife got a set at the same time(not married when we got them), and hers look like trash. Mine show some wear, but are in good shape- coating is still intact and not flaking. I think the biggest difference is in how you cook with them. She tends to use high heat to cook everything, I vary the heat and don't use a non-stick to sear stuff. That's what my stainless is for.

I gave my son the very same non-stick pan that we have. His wouldn't work. When I visited him, I said let me try. Sure enough the food stuck. With mine, I just tilt the pan and the eggs slide right onto the plate.

He admitted to overheating his. My pan sees a little bit of medium heat initially and then medium-low for the rest of the time.

I use my cast iron when I want to pour on the heat.

HoosierNation33

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2020
    Springfield
    I gave my son the very same non-stick pan that we have. His wouldn't work. When I visited him, I said let me try. Sure enough the food stuck. With mine, I just tilt the pan and the eggs slide right onto the plate.

He admitted to overheating his. My pan sees a little bit of medium heat initially and then medium-low for the rest of the time.

I use my cast iron when I want to pour on the heat.
    Low heat really is the secret to non-stick cooking pans. That and a rubber spatula.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Low heat really is the secret to non-stick cooking pans. That and a rubber spatula.
    This. Never higher than medium heat or they will warp. And yes, never anything metal coming in contact with it, including other pans in the cupboard or dishwasher.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Just like woodworking, one tools is not sufficient for all tasks. There's no "one material fits all".

This is my recommendation, based on what works for me, and twenty odd years of cooking (PS - don't eat my wife's cooking).

Teflon pans don't last forever, and don't give a good sear, but they're good at what they're for: eggs. I do French style scrambled eggs and even the best seasoned pan can't handle that repeated abuse*. Pick one up cheap, and replace it when worn. I'll be the guy that says a teflon (or other non-stick surface) pan is essential.

Cast iron are probably essential, but not the be-all end-all. I've got Griswold, Wagner Ware (from grandma) and Lodge (a terrible gift to my wife in the very early years of our marriage). The Griswold makes the best PUDC in the world. Start with a 10" skillet; the nice thing is Lodge stuff is decent and cheap.

Carbon Steel is lighter, and can be shaped better than cast iron, but has a lot of the same properties (and care) as cast iron. The down side is the seasoning - it takes time to build it up. I find it to be my now go-to general purpose skillet - especially for meat. These are really common in pro kitchens. Mafter Borgeat is excellent for the money.

Stainless Steel is good for long cooking of acidic foods (i.e. tomatoes), and the heat much more evenly than cast iron. Get one with taller sides and lid that's oven safe, and has a copper core. I also like sauce pans and stock pots in this material - good general purpose and easy cleaning. I think mine is Calphalon, but it was a wedding present, so at least twenty years old.

Aluminum is light, transfers heat well, but it's reactive to acidic food. I don't own any, but I believe they're common in pro kitchens.

Enameled Cast Iron is must for soups, stews, roast, or any other braising. Le Creuset and Staub are king. My Staub Cocette sees the stove and sink more than the cupboard. I have a Lodge unfinished one, but it's mostly relegated to deep fry duty.

Except for the teflon and aluminum, all of those can be (multiple) lifetime pans.

I never understood the concept of glass cooking vessels. There's poor heat transfer, they're heavy, ugly...

Then there's the copper / wonder / magic / TV stuff... could be OK, or could just flake off... why risk it over tired and true materials? I don't see that stuff in professional kitchens, so why should I get it? If you get it, don't expect it to last.

Linens 'n **** sells stuff to look good on the wall and Instagram. A restaurant supply house sells stuff to be used 12 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Pots and pans are like knives - you don't need a set of twenty, and they shouldn't all be the same brand.

* Come spring, I might have scrambled eggs and fresh picked asparagus night after night. My preferred method of scrambled eggs is to start them in a cold pan, low heat, and whisk constantly for ten to fifteen minutes. When they begin to set, add some butter, keep whisking until they just come together. The result is a creamy, very smooth delight, perfect with caviar and a martini.

Yes, I use a metal whisk on teflon. Yes, I buy a new one every two years or so.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have never used one, but carbon steel pans seem to be kind of between cast iron and stainless. I want to give them a try myself. I love cast iron but they are so heavy.

DO IT! :yesway:

I think there's a cast iron thread where I describe looking and getting mine.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    For prep knives, I recommend Mercer Genesis line... which I've had for 7-8 years. When researching, I keep finding references that many culinary schools equip their students with these so I tried them and have been very pleased and I've never been happy with kitchen knives, lol!

For OP, I'd recommend at least a chef's knife, paring knife, utility knife and a santuko for fine slicing. Bread knife optional unless you make bread. Ditto carving knife unless you regularly slice slabs of meat, carve turkeys, etc.

In culinary school I was required to buy a set of Mercer knives & tools and I still use them (at home and work).

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Yep. My non stick have their very own cabinet. Don't want to get a single scratch on them.
    My nonstick skillet and griddle are in the same cabinet as the stainless, but my secret is I slip them in vertically along the side of the cabinet, with the non-stick side facing the cabinet wall.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    For non-stick I have an 8 & 10 inch set from Sur la Table. My wife got a set at the same time(not married when we got them), and hers look like trash. Mine show some wear, but are in good shape- coating is still intact and not flaking(over 10 years old). I think the biggest difference is in how you cook with them. She tends to use high heat to cook everything, I vary the heat and don't use a non-stick to sear stuff. That's what my stainless is for.

My stainless set came from a clearance shelf at Meijer- $60 for the 10-piece set and it has been great. My Mom got me a 12" AlClad stainless skillet, I used it once and was done. The handle was not comfortable at all.

For those that use Barkeepers Friend, Have you ever tried BonAmi? Growing up we used BKF because we had rusty well water. Somewhere along the line, switched to BonAmi. Works great, and I have used it on dishes to remove rust and stains, laminate countertops to remove stains, glass mixing bowls to remove hard water stains. As it says on the label: Hasn't scratched yet!

I use BonAmi. Sometimes it is hard to find though.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    We have a a set of stainless with copper bases that we got as a wedding gift..... 20+ years ago. Not only have they held up remarkably, they cook very nicely.

We also have a few cast iron skillets that I use heavily. Hard to beat for most tasks. Just made myself a grilled cheese sandwich, as a matter of fact.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Our pots are old porcelain coated handed down from Gma that are great. The wife bought a new set because the old ones are ugly and gave the old set to her sister, shortly after she traded her the newer pretty ones to get the old ones back.

Pans are a mix of 12" carbon, 15" cast iron and a griddle, 10" and 8" copper, and a big stainless with a lid

Eagle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 29, 2020
    Greenwood
    I use BonAmi. Sometimes it is hard to find though.

I have not heard of BonAmi, but I’ll check it out.

One other thought on All-Clad: once a year Macy’s has a big sale on it and that’s when we got ours. I wouldn’t pay full price for it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    (PS - don't eat my wife's cooking).

This reminds me of a story that my son told us when he got out of basic training. He was once eating in chow hall and one of his buddies said; "man don't you wish we had some of our mom's cooking?" To which my son replied: "you never had my moms cooking, this stuff is pretty good!"

Top Bottom