• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I bought my guitar 7-8 years ago, took lessons for about 6 months, and put it away. For some reason I have a very hard time pressing the strings against the frets. My right hand is very strong, but my left is weak. My fingers are also very short. I need to pick it up and try again. I love to sing, and it would be great to accompany myself.

Stock photo of my Yamaha APX700 Acoustic Electric Guitar, Cobalt Aqua.

View attachment 125220
    There are several ways to make pressing the strings easier. A proper setup on the guitar for starters. Silk and steel strings maybe. Then start some finger building exercises on the guitar itself and maybe something like the D'Addario hand exerciser.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I'm tired of politics. Here's a current family photo of the electric guitars in the collection. I traded out two of my LP Studio models for a 99 SG Special Limited Edition and the black 18 SG Standard. I've been in a sling for almost three weeks and it's killing me. I'm starting to be able to piddle around a bit in the middle of the fretboard but it's not enough to satisfy my craving to play. I was really starting to enjoy playing some Tool stuff in drop D tuning before I had surgery, can't wait to get back to it.
    XGk7Rjnh.jpg
    Gibson much? Nice collection.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Very nice!!

I picked up a Boss Katana MkII 50w amp a few weeks back and I'm really liking it. That doesn't say much considering my "skill" level but I'm enjoying it.
    I have the original. Not quite the tone of my old 60's twin reverb but it doesn't weigh quite as much. I'm using a Pod Go these days.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    There are several ways to make pressing the strings easier. A proper setup on the guitar for starters. Silk and steel strings maybe. Then start some finger building exercises on the guitar itself and maybe something like the D'Addario hand exerciser.
    I think I have the exerciser. Need to dig it out.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    The mando is indicative of Bluegrass maybe? The D for jazz or rockabilly?
    You are correct on the Weber mandolin. I used to be in a local Bluegrass band. The D'Angelico I got because it is hard to find leftys and got this for a good price, I ended up being very happy with it and play mostly country and blues on it even though that is not the appearance.

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NE of Indy
    3C3428D1-CB84-480F-9B02-869615751BA4.jpeg
    Maybe this should go in a ‘Woodworking’ thread but it’s a guitar I own...
    Here’s a pic of a guitar body I made back in 2010. Walnut burl and figured Maple in the center and just some straight grain Walnut on the sides.
    I turned the knobs and switch on my Wife’s Grandfather’s 36” Craftsman lathe.
    I bought a new Fender Squier Strat and moved all the parts over to this body. I play bass and don’t really play guitar so I can’t comment on the sound.
    Definitely a fun project, and making a guitar body was probably as much about displaying the wood as making music...

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I'm upset that I just found this thread ! .... how could I have missed it ? :scratch:

My love for guitars started in the mid-1960's (I was thirteen)
    I saved my paper route money, and purchased a Fender Mustang, and a Princeton amp.
    Like many younger people at the time, I played in a garage band for a couple of years.
    It was a good way to be invited to parties, and meet girls !

I've often said that my three vices are ..... Girls, Guns, and Guitars !
    (after I married, I had to drop the (s) on girls, and focus on just my wife, of course)

Anyway .... I think that I have (8) six-string guitars now ..... a variety of acoustic, acoustic-electric, electric. And (1) four-string acoustic bass guitar.

I'll start with my most recent purchase ..... just for fun. I had to have this Martin Woodstock tribute.

i-HNffSMr-XL.jpg

Just yesterday, I played this Gibson Les Paul 50's tribute model.

i-mWNNLhv-L.jpg

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    View attachment 125276
    Maybe this should go in a ‘Woodworking’ thread but it’s a guitar I own...
    Here’s a pic of a guitar body I made back in 2010. Walnut burl and figured Maple in the center and just some straight grain Walnut on the sides.
    I turned the knobs and switch on my Wife’s Grandfather’s 36” Craftsman lathe.
    I bought a new Fender Squier Strat and moved all the parts over to this body. I play bass and don’t really play guitar so I can’t comment on the sound.
    Definitely a fun project, and making a guitar body was probably as much about displaying the wood as making music...
    That is absolutely effing beautiful. It may sound ok but that deserves top shelf electronics. Well done.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I'm upset that I just found this thread ! .... how could I have missed it ? :scratch:

My love for guitars started in the mid-1960's (I was thirteen)
    I saved my paper route money, and purchased a Fender Mustang, and a Princeton amp.
    Like many younger people at the time, I played in a garage band for a couple of years.
    It was a good way to be invited to parties, and meet girls !

I've often said that my three vices are ..... Girls, Guns, and Guitars !
    (after I married, I had to drop the (s) on girls, and focus on just my wife, of course)

Anyway .... I think that I have (8) six-string guitars now ..... a variety of acoustic, acoustic-electric, electric. And (1) four-string acoustic bass guitar.

I'll start with my most recent purchase ..... just for fun. I had to have this Martin Woodstock tribute.

i-HNffSMr-XL.jpg

Just yesterday, I played this Gibson Les Paul 50's tribute model.

i-mWNNLhv-L.jpg
    does the paint have much effect on the tone? LP with P90's, nice.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I'm just a hack of a player these days. Losing part of a finger and arthritis will slow a fellow down. Seems to me that we have enough players and pickers here to have a jam session. Maybe at a range. With smoker full of pork.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I have the original. Not quite the tone of my old 60's twin reverb but it doesn't weigh quite as much. I'm using a Pod Go these days.
    Oh man .... just hearing about that amp makes my heart thump-a-thump !
    I always wanted one when I was a teenager, but only only had Princeton Amp money. ;)

I do like your idea about a get-together, and jam session. Like several others have proclaimed, I'm still just a rank hack on the guitar, but enjoy it tremendously.

Top Bottom