• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    So bought this house a couple years ago and even though it was built in the 90’s it has a full masonry fireplace. I’m talking giant masonry fire box area opening to the rear to a smoke chamber and then a literal square masonry chimney. No liner nothing.

problem is it’s extremely inefficient and the chimney sweep guy claimed it was downright dangerous.

Anyway looking for ways to improve efficiency, might do a full liner and insert install myself. Don’t really want to fork over 5k or more a company to do it when I’m in construction and capable.

any suggestions on what kind to get or a place to get one?

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Most of the name inserts are good. I stay away from the catalytic ones as one more thing to go wrong. I made my own that we used for about 10 years. Bought a Lopi insert about 5 years ago and the wood usage dropped significantly. One recommendation is to hear the fans before you buy. Our Lopi insert had an awful whine. Complained to the store and to Lopi and neither one would do anything. I replaced the open housing type fans with ones that have enclosed housings and eliminated most of the whine. Had to do a little modification but no biggie. Liner is a must. Protects the masonary.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I like cats. Blaze king, Harmon, lopi, drolet, Vermont castings, many others. Many have secondary burn air tubes, if you don't like cats.
    Most importantly, buy a fifteen dollar moisture meter from harbor freight and don't burn anything over 20% moisture.

Top Bottom