• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I never said it was. I never claimed to be a chain saw expert by any means and I NEVER wanted to know ANYTHING about a chainsaw. I still DON'T but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

So I go to people who REALLY KNOW. That would be these guys. Most everything I've HAD to learn about chainsaws comes from them, to me, to who ever I'm trying to do a favor. I'm NOT here trying to LEARN about saws or teach or take a class on them. I'm trying to do someone a favor. When I want to learn something about them, I'll go to D&D. It will always be my first recommendation to anyone who asks.

I live close to D&D. If you have never been, you gotta go. Closed on Wednesday and Sunday open till 12 on Saturday. Don't go on a rainy day because every logger from surrounding area and sometimes from out of state will be there getting repairs and supplies.

I will not let anyone but them work on my saws. They are chainsaw geniuses. Their Dad taught Stihl how to fix their own saws. It's quite comical at times to be in there, highly recommended trip.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    I have a Poulin Pro 18". Overall ok, but I have a big question. I find that I am having to sharpen the blade after about 20-30 min of cutting. I do watch the bar oil tank and it appears to be lubricating correctly. I ended up buying 4 blades, so I can get a long enough session of cutting by switching them out.

Am I doing something wrong? A tank of gas lasts longer than a sharpened chain, and it has a tiny gas tank. I find after 5-8 cuts of a medium/large log, the saw can no longer cut and I have to replace the chain.

Last edited:

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I have a Poulin Pro 18". Overall ok, but I have a big question. I find that I am having to sharpen the blade after about 20-30 min of cutting. I do watch the bar oil tank and it appears to be lubricating correctly. I ended up buying 4 blades, so I can get a long enough session of cutting by switching them out.

Am I doing something wrong? A tank of gas lasts longer than a sharpened blade, and it has a tiny gas tank. I find after 5-8 cuts of a medium/large log, the saw can no longer cut and I have to replace the blade.

Name brand chain? Sounds like they're junk. Oregon is good and not terribly expensive. Just a thought.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

Am I doing something wrong? A tank of gas lasts longer than a sharpened blade, and it has a tiny gas tank. I find after 5-8 cuts of a medium/large log, the saw can no longer cut and I have to replace the blade.

Maybe use a chain instead of a blade?

Sorry....couldn't help myself!

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.

What are you cutting? Your not accidentally hitting the dirt are you?

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Own 2 Stihls and a new monster Echo. My old 041 Stihl has been a workhorse for years but parts are harder and harder to find. Stihl dealers will no longer support these older saws which pisses me off. That and th fact that they do NOT discount their tools as a company policy caused me to buy this Echo. I am well pleased as it is one heckuva saw so far. 28" bar and will run a 32" if I need it. I like it.

Spring1898

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 13, 2021
    North of Galveston

The 'rakers' or depth gauges (since it seems we have to be particularly technical in this thread) are likely holding you up.
    If you aren't filing them down regularly they will eventually not allow the teeth to bite.

This presuming sufficient sharpening technique

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    The 'rakers' or depth gauges (since it seems we have to be particularly technical in this thread) are likely holding you up.
    If you aren't filing them down regularly they will eventually not allow the teeth to bite.

This presuming sufficient sharpening technique
    Somewhere is a thread about saw chain sharpening and some of the hand sharpening tools we have used.
    There has to something wrong if have to change your chain out that often. Technique or quality of chain..??

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees

Hit dirt 1 time and the chain is done. Follow me for more firewooding tips.

JTClark

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2022
    America

Does it stretch a lot as well?

When a chain gets dull, it gets hot. More dull, more hot. More hot ruins the chain and then it won't stay sharp and it stretches a lot faster than a new chain. AS SOON as a chain is dull for any reason at all, hit the dirt, rock, nail, bullet, fence. Stop cutting with it and sharpen it.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    Thank you all for the advice so far!

Name brand chain? Sounds like they're junk. Oregon is good and not terribly expensive. Just a thought.
    They are all Oregon.

Occasionally, although I certainly try not to. These are all large long logs on the ground from a bunch of trees that were cut down, and usually are too heavy for me to prop them up on something. Not sure how to never touch dirt at the end of the cut when the log is on the ground... :dunno: So that is certainly a possibility, although it would only explain some of the occurrences, not all of them.

Does it stretch a lot as well?

When a chain gets dull, it gets hot. More dull, more hot. More hot ruins the chain and then it won't stay sharp and it stretches a lot faster than a new chain. AS SOON as a chain is dull for any reason at all, hit the dirt, rock, nail, bullet, fence. Stop cutting with it and sharpen it.

Yes, they all stretch a bit. I sometimes have to tighten the screw underneath to slightly increase the bar when it stretches.

Somewhere is a thread about saw chain sharpening and some of the hand sharpening tools we have used.
    There has to something wrong if have to change your chain out that often. Technique or quality of chain..??
    Do you have a link? I use a grinding wheel made for chain sharping. They cut nicely for a little while after sharpening.

Attachments

• IMG_7909.JPG
      IMG_7909.JPG
      106.3 KB · Views: 3

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Occasionally, although I certainly try not to. These are all large long logs on the ground from a bunch of trees that were cut down, and usually are too heavy for me to prop them up on something. Not sure how to never touch dirt at the end of the cut when the log is on the ground... :dunno: So that is certainly a possibility, although it would only explain some of the occurrences, not all of them.

Easy. Make your cuts 90% of the way through the entire log. Roll the log over and finish each cut from underneath now that the uncut part is up.

If its still too long to do that, find a spot on the log where there is a gap underneath. cut all the way through there to make it manageable.

Pretty big logs can still usually be rolled at least 90* using your leg. You dont need to lift it, just get the uncut portion off the ground.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Another trick is to use felling wedges in your cut to keep the log from pinching your bar. You can get to the bottom of the log without rolling it. Just be careful the last few inches to avoid dirt.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county

They are all Oregon.

Yes, they all stretch a bit. I sometimes have to tighten the screw underneath to slightly increase the bar when it stretches.

Do you have a link? I use a grinding wheel made for chain sharping. They cut nicely for a little while after sharpening.
    STIHL 2 in 1 Easy File Chainsaw Chain Sharpener 3/8 https://a.co/d/j22X5ro
    I have this one and you have to order the correct size for the saw chain you have. This is way to use and YouTube has good videos to show you..
    I order from Bailey’s online.. they have a searchable database for your saw and good products. Chains ..bars , combos all the way to logging equipment.

xwing

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Greene County
    And chain tension.

Can you clarify? After cutting for a bit, I find that I have to adjust the bar (using the screw at the bottom) to increase tension b/c the chain gets loose. Are you saying I should not do that? Or saying possibly I don't do it soon enough?

And I fixed my typo. :)

JTClark

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2022
    America

For myself, I only use files. I couldn't find the U tube I really wanted but this guy isn't bad.

Get your self one of these. Amazon product ASIN B000PS9O68
    Chaps, steel shoes, wedges, hammer and that little vise. 5 gallon bucket to put it all in. A foot of so of pcv pipe and two caps to store all your files in, pencil tape measure...

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Can you clarify? After cutting for a bit, I find that I have to adjust the bar (using the screw at the bottom) to increase tension b/c the chain gets loose. Are you saying I should not do that? Or saying possibly I don't do it soon enough?

And I fixed my typo. :)

The chain should not "sag" from or ride away from the bar when cutting.

I always push forward on the bar and make sure it is as forward as possible while firmly tightening the anchors. The tension adjustment snugs it but has a limited range.

I am far from an expert on chainsaws so others here may have better tips.

At the end of the day, if the chain is not engaging with the bar snuggly I know it is not going to run well and, I suspect, can be dangerous.

Spring1898

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 13, 2021
    North of Galveston
    There are many opinions on chain tightness, so just remember, too tight and you ruin the crank bearings prematurely or stress the shaft, too loose and you may have a chain jump but this would have to be pretty loose. Most people end up tightening them more than necessary.

When adjusting the chain tensioner, pull UP on the bar, as this is the position the bar will assume in the cut. If you are not sure what tension to run, then tighten up the chain until it just touches the bottom of the bar. That is a good starting point for a cold chain.

Chains will stretch when hot, this will result in them sagging a little on the bottom after being run. This is normal, and should not require readjustment. If you do then the chain will be too tight once it cools.

New chains will stretch more, so after the first use they may need adjustment again.

Never leave a chain tight when putting a saw away.

The stihl 2-1 (copy of the pferd) is a great system for touching up chains. But if you have never filed down the rakers, I suspect it will not be of use until you address those back to a reasonable level. A standalone depth gauge filer would be beneficial here. Or if you have a quality shop that addresses all aspects of the chain, it might be easier and faster to have them do it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom