• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swampdonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Bloomington
    I own just under 100 acres in greene co, the timber was super high graded 50 years ago but is coming back well. This year I decided to hit it hard and start wiping out the trash trees. I took out tons of small beech trees but was reaching the top limit on size with a 16 inch bar! I upgraded to the 462 with 28 inch bar, aftermarket dogs and bark box! This thing is nasty! Have not had much chance to use it yet as i want to have a safety spotter with these bigger trees! I have already noticed more deer bedding around the fallen canopy’s as it has provided more sun hitting the forest floor so green briar is coming up better and the down fall really breaks up how far you can see! Got a lot of work to do over the next few years!

Attachments

• 7DEE9C03-054E-4264-939C-45667F004C8A.jpeg
      7DEE9C03-054E-4264-939C-45667F004C8A.jpeg
      2.8 MB · Views: 14
    • 9AFFC129-30A6-4E79-BC6A-3B927507D42A.jpeg
      9AFFC129-30A6-4E79-BC6A-3B927507D42A.jpeg
      1.7 MB · Views: 13

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    -Snip- I upgraded to the 462 with 28 inch bar, aftermarket dogs and bark box! This thing is nasty! Have not had much chance to use it yet as i want to have a safety spotter with these bigger trees! I have already noticed more deer bedding around the fallen canopy’s as it has provided more sun hitting the forest floor so green briar is coming up better and the down fall really breaks up how far you can see! Got a lot of work to do over the next few years!
    Cool!
    I've had an MS460 for some years and did similar dog and muffler mods.
    One additional thing you might consider if you have a problem with chain stretching is adding the Stihl H.O. Oil pump assembly (I assume they have one for the 462?).
    I noticed that when I went to longer bars, including the 28 inch bar, I had a problem with chain stretching, even when running the oiler wide open.
    The Stihl H.O. Oil pump increased the bar oil enough that I stopped having this problem.

swampdonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Bloomington
    Cool!
    I've had an MS460 for some years and did similar dog and muffler mods.
    One additional thing you might consider if you have a problem with chain stretching is adding the Stihl H.O. Oil pump assembly (I assume they have one for the 462?).
    I noticed that when I went to longer bars, including the 28 inch bar, I had a problem with chain stretching, even when running the oiler wide open.
    The Stihl H.O. Oil pump increased the bar oil enough that I stopped having this problem.
    Awesome information my man thank you! I will certainly keep a close eye on it! I set the oiler wide open off the bat but honestly have not ran it enough to notice it! I did read an article about guys milling having that issue!

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Well, went to fire mine up for the first time in a while....no go.

So now I'm chasing fuel, spark, carb, etc.

I have a love / hate relationship with chainsaws

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Well, went to fire mine up for the first time in a while....no go.

So now I'm chasing fuel, spark, carb, etc.

I have a love / hate relationship with chainsaws
    This probably won't help you, but I often had trouble like you describe, when it ran fine the last time I used it, then after not using it for an extended time it wouldn't start.

THEN I started using non-ethanol gasoline in my fuel mix exclusively and stopped having that trouble.

JTClark

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2022
    America
    Stihl. Full stop. Buy once cry once.

I know they dont make them like they used to, but I've got one I inherited from my dad. Its so old the bar is stamped "Made in West Germany." Still runs like nobody's business.

I've heard Husqs are OK, though not as durable. You would probably be OK with one of those if you are just going to do occasional cuts/trims after this batch.
    What ever you decide to buy, just go ahead and buy an extra chain, round file, flat file, handles and the guides you need to learn how to sharpen your own chain and a little stump vise. May as well learn it, there won't be a better time than when it is brand new. Every time you put fuel in or hit the dirt, touch it up a little bit. If it is loose at all, tighten up the chain before you sharpen it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    One caveat to that. ONLY buy Stihl professional grade. (more expensive orange and white) I have a neighbor that bought into the "Stihl is always great" and bought several of their cheap consumer grade all white equipment. It all suffers from the same poor quality parts that big box store equipment like Troy Bilt does; works great the first year, after that, good luck getting it started and running reliably.
    Storage and choice of fuel is key here. Seriously. Running pump gas and just hanging it in the shed when done never works well.
    We keep starting fluid on hand to wake up the saws after long term storage and always have a couple of spare plugs on hand.

thelefthand

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    I too have switched to non ethanol gas (rec90) and it has eliminated my storage issues. It was never a problem until it was a problem. Then it's either rebuild or replace the carb... for those needing new carbs, I've had good luck with parts from Hyway.

On a slightly different note, I picked up a Chinese G660 this spring to replace my seized 064. If you're able to replace a few parts on your own, it's a good saw for occasional use. Most of my work is done with 50cc and 60cc saws, but occasionally I need a bigger bar. I've been cleaning up a 60" oak in the back yard that died last year, and 60cc wasn't going to be enough for the trunk. I've got about 10 gal of mix through the g660 so far and it's doing great. I has to replace the oil pump, and a few screws right off the bat, and I added a dual port muffler cover. She's been running a 42" bar jwith no problem. I, on the other hand, am getting too old for bars that long... lol. It's about 4 or 5 lb heavier than a Stihl 066, so I wouldn't get it as my primary saw, but at $321 delivered from US stock in 2 businessdays (plus $50 worth of upgrades/replacement parts) it's a good option for occasional use or running on a chainsaw mill.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Only reason I ever need a saw is to cut up a fallen tree or branch into small enough pieces for me to toss it in my trailer and haul to the burn pile. Bought an MS180 back around 2008, had to replace the carb in its first year and always ran 100LL with Woodland Pro 2 cycle oil after that with no issue.

Opening up the exhaust louvers a little with a screwdriver really helped the saw run better. Used the saw nearly every week for 5 years. Never had any other issue with it and wore out a pile of chains, a couple bars and a sprocket in the time I used it. Moved to an apartment for a while and needed the space and the money more than the saw and sold it.

Replaced it with a Husqvarna 435 when I bought a house. After using it quite a bit I think the MS180 maybe (after my modifications) cut a little faster, but the Husqvarna is the nicer saw as far as being a little better built, easier starting and handling for the money.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Should I store it with no gas? Fuel stabilizer?
    For my Stihl MS460, I use only non-ethanol gasoline (E0) with the Stihl oil in the silver container mixed in.

I store the saw in a heated place, and just leave the fuel in it.
    I've found the E0 gasoline I use with the Stihl silver oil, it stays stable and doesn't gum up.

There's nothing wrong with draining the gas out to store for a long time.
    I don't do it because I've had a few times over the years where gaskets in the carburetor dry out and can sometimes become leaky.
    YMMV

For example, just this last Monday I got the saw out and hadn't used it since last year.
    Topped off the fuel and bar oil, and it started right up using fuel I mixed last summer.
    It's in a sealed gas can though.

JTClark

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2022
    America
    Should I store it with no gas? Fuel stabilizer?
    Don't use alcohol gas. Use a quality pre-mix and don't worry about it. It will start in 3 months just like it started yesterday.

When you stop to sharpen a chain, pull the cover off that filter screen and blow the dust and crap off that. Any time you have a problem with a saw, look at that screen FIRST before you flood it.

I don't run my saws out of gas on purpose. When it starts to miss, I shut it off and fill it up. The fuel IS the lubrication, so if you are running it dry... May be it doesn't matter but that is where my own mind goes with it. Your milage may vary.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom