• ...and so much more!
  • BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Fair enough. I need to grab one also. Any benefit to running aviation fuel?

After some trials and tribulations i finally got this barred up.
    View attachment 225024
    Ive got a load of reject logs to pick up from a local mill at some point. Hopefully I’ll have the house moved and enough wood to heat it by winter 2023.

The aviation fuel is supposed to be free of the ethanol crap that causes problems.

It runs well...have not tried any storage periods.

Running AV in one and the Stihl premix in another to test over time.

AV costs much less than the premix but premix is said to be trouble free.

Either is better than a machine that fails when needed...and better for my BP. I detest tools when they fail.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    The current state of my 445. The gas tank/handle piece is broken and, unfortunately, one can't get a new one. I may have to resort to a used one off ebay or something. I wanted this up and running so I could cut up downed trees on my property now that it's colder and the underbrush is dying off. I still have my 460, but I'd like to have them both running.

445-2.jpg

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    The current state of my 445. The gas tank/handle piece is broken and, unfortunately, one can't get a new one. I may have to resort to a used one off ebay or something. I wanted this up and running so I could cut up downed trees on my property now that it's colder and the underbrush is dying off. I still have my 460, but I'd like to have them both running.

View attachment 230413
    Have you tried Baileys online?? Great resource for parts and supplies

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Have you tried Baileys online?? Great resource for parts and supplies

I did look. That part says it's on back order everywhere. I may have to go the Ebay route, but I'd rather get a new one so I know it's history (none).

I suspect that is a weak point on this machine since the part is sold out everywhere and you can get that piece from Wish and aliexpress, which I am not doing.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The aviation fuel is supposed to be free of the ethanol crap that causes problems.

It runs well...have not tried any storage periods.

Running AV in one and the Stihl premix in another to test over time.

AV costs much less than the premix but premix is said to be trouble free.

Either is better than a machine that fails when needed...and better for my BP. I detest tools when they fail.

100ll Avgas is great stuff. I was at the airport when a Bonanza which had not been out of the hanger in 8 years was pulled out for an annual prior to sale. Covered with dirt, bird nests, and all three tires flat, it got the once over and a new battery. Fired right up.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I never do enough cutting. All my gas cheap chainsaws always needing work. Maybe 3 years ago got a Greenworks electric chainsaw (battery). Always works great. Cuts a little slower but does great. About the time you run out of chain oil you need another charge. So cuts plenty with what I do.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Earlier this year, I had a problem with a saw which I am certain was attributable to running crap gas with ethanol.

Since then, I have switched over to Stihl premix in one saw and aircraft fuel in the other.

I am expecting to not run them for a couple of months, so today I ran them to empty and dumped any remaining fuel sitting in the tank.

Do you folks have any other suggestions for storing them?

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Earlier this year, I had a problem with a saw which I am certain was attributable to running crap gas with ethanol.

Since then, I have switched over to Stihl premix in one saw and aircraft fuel in the other.

I am expecting to not run them for a couple of months, so today I ran them to empty and dumped any remaining fuel sitting in the tank.

I don’t store mine without fuel ever. I also use ethanol free gas though. I also store them vertically. Let me see if I can find a pic.

I didn’t find a pic, I’ll get one when I get home from the firehouse on Monday morning

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis

I always use the Stihl Ultra 2 cycle oil mix in the silver container and mixed it with E0 (no ethanol) gasoline.
    I just leave the gasoline mix in the saw and it always works fine the next year.
    I also keep the mix in an air tight gas can and I often use the same mix for 2 years with no trouble if there's any left at the end of the season.

Last edited:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I always use the Stihl 2 cycle oil mix in the silver container and mixed it with E0 (no ethanol) gasoline.
    I just leave the gasoline mix in the saw and it always works fine the next year.
    I also keep the mix in an air tight gas can and I often use the same mix for 2 years with no trouble if there's any left at the end of the season.
    Do you use a fuel stabilizer?

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    I just keep fuel stabilizer in the fuel. Rarely had issues the next season with them starting. They set about a year usually.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I don’t store mine without fuel ever. I also use ethanol free gas though. I also store them vertically. Let me see if I can find a pic.

I didn’t find a pic, I’ll get one when I get home from the firehouse on Monday morning
    I discovered you can shrink/crack gaskets if they sit too long and dry out. Left a pressure washer empty 4 years and when I put gas in it it leaked like a sieve. fuel flow out of it was fast enough to drain the tank in under 3 mins

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.

Make sure the chain has ample amounts of bar oil. I got some surface rust on one i ran though the ultrasonic, sharpened and stored. As far as saws go I haven’t given mine enough of a break to gum up since i started cutting wood earlier this year.

Top Bottom